Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 4:49 pm

schnozzles wrote:
There are little things like looking at the bridge of someone's nose if you can't look in their eyes.

Well... the subject of this discussion is not "how to improve your chances to get a job". This is a separate question.
The subject: are Aspies discriminated, i.e. are they treated worse than people of the same age, education, etc are normally treated.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 May 2014, 11:26 am

I feel discrimminated against mostly because of my age. I keep getting asked in interviews if I have previous work experience "because I look a little bit young", and I have to explain to them that I've been looking for years to find even a part-time job at fast-food restaurants because nothing else will take me because of having no experience... I feel like tearing my hair out.

I guess I'll have to keep looking. I've applied at a retirement home and at UPS, and I hope I get one of them at least. Things are looking pretty bleak.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

22 May 2014, 11:59 am

Eh, I have people who are looking out for me on this front.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 6:30 pm

DISCRIMINATED

well name one place where i dont feel discriminated

At job i was discriminated and asked to leave even though i was hardworking

At social occassions people and relatives avoid me they feel i look dumb

In my colony most of the people avoid me

All the time i am locked up in my house doing DIY thing just to keep myself occupied
though i have qualification and experience i cant hold job due to lack of social skills

Plus i get badly bullied and ignored by everyone

Ivanhoe
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2014, 5:57 pm

When it comes to interviews and getting along with management: the problem isn't (usually) so much discrimination as more analogous to having to work in a team with people with whom you don't speak the same language.

I have a successful career, and (according to my works peer reviewed appraisal system) my work is well regarded by my peers. Yet reading the earlier posts on this thread has reminded me that I've never actually successfully interviewed for a post within my organisation. Every posting and promotion has come about because they needed to parachute me into a post in a crisis and the interview process has been dispensed with for expediencies sake.

My lack of success at interview is probably down to the very subtle Aspie tells that I can cover in normal day to day work but which NT's will spot if they scrutinise me closely (like in an interview). That unfortunately is a fact of life and short of asking civilisation to completely change the way people are assessed for jobs, there is nothing that an Aspie can do about it.

Saying that: I have suffered direct discrimination in the office because of my AS (a line manager who decided he didn't want a colleague "with my issues") and in my experience HR departments and the workplace are incapable of protecting Aspies from that discrimination. In my case, the moment AS was mentioned (by me, stupidly) the entire attitude of management and HR was that there couldn't be smoke without fire!