Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

aspie_comic_nerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 May 2014, 7:18 pm

Does anyone think truck driving is a good career for Aspies?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 9:15 pm

Maybe if truck driving is your special interest. Otherwise, no.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 9:20 pm

My husband was a truck driver for 23 years. He is very shy with some Aspergery traits (I don't think he has it 100% though). It allowed him to avoid people alright, but that backfired because he lost confidence with people since he hardly ever interacted with them anymore (long distance driving). His social anxiety is a lot worse now than it was before.

Also, he never really got along with typical truckers who are usually pretty much "hockey and beer guys", lol (in Canada. Maybe in US they'd be "football and beer guys"). I mean if hockey and beer are your thing then that's fine, but my husband's more into Sci fi, art, and outerspace...

So my short answer would be: not from my (limited) experience.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 10:04 am

I believe long-distance truck driving could be a decent career for an Aspie, providing he/she doesn't have spatial issues--such as determining the angle of a turn. It provides one with much opportunity for solitude, and for non-present socialization (i.e., by CB Radio).

I've always wanted to be a cross-country truck driver. I have spatial issues, so I can't drive a truck--only a car (barely).

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 10:41 am

I think, for the right Aspie or Autie, it could work out. I haven't ever heard of anyone becoming rich or even middle class off truck-driving, but it could just be my sample pool. If I were to do it myself, I'd want to intern with a driver. Preferably someone related to me- that way we'll both have an idea what we're getting into as far as communication and learning process. I'd have a lot of questions about income, planning routs, employers, safely loading various items, what kind of truck is best for what kind of trucking, how much to invest in my truck, who to buy a good truck from, and such. Interning or apprenticing, whatever you want to call it, would also allow me the opportunity to see everything in action and participate when possible.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 9:04 am

I wouldn't recommend it because the regulations are getting ridiculous and frustrating. There is also a serious shortage of truck parking for the long haul drivers.

I did truck driving for just over 2 years and tried to get out of it going to college. Now apparently my Associates doesn't impress employers. I'm thinking of driving again, but I really hope to try local Class B Box Trucks.