Can someone with dyscalculia be a scientist?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 1:12 pm

I may have an opportunity to return to school. My interests have changed drastically over the nearly 2 decades I've been in my current position and I believe I would like to completely change gears. Geology holds a particular fascination for me and I think I would like to perhaps study planetary geology. The problem is that I have never been able to do math. I barely made it out of high school with basic Algebra I and basic Geometry and took only one math class in college--the patronizingly titled "Math for Humanities Majors".

Another possibility, one with a bit less math, is something in anthropology/archaeology. That was one of the things I found intriguing when I was little.

I am 47 years old, by the way, and the sole breadwinner in my family.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 1:22 pm

Getting a job doing research is very hard. So is landing academia positions. If there are any jobs in industry, I'm sure others here can give advice if they know of them for these specific fields.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 1:24 pm

Hi there, 12345

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 2:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hi there, 12345

???

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 3:13 pm

very few jobs in archeology, and those that there are require a PHD.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2014, 3:29 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Hi there, 12345

???

He was just saying hi to me because I've been gone for quite a while. :P

I really hope people know of more industry jobs. I do know that about 2 years ago there was supposed to be demand for Geology majors (PhD level) but in what specialization I have no idea. I think it was centering around mapping the world. I know that's vague, sorry. I know there are probably jobs in oil and gas that you might only need a BS in, but you'd have to double check on that. It's also possible that dealing with protecting the environment somehow or underground water could be up and coming. If worst comes to worst, a lot of scientists turn to technical writing or some sort of scientific writings.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2014, 4:42 am

Mindsigh wrote:
I may have an opportunity to return to school. My interests have changed drastically over the nearly 2 decades I've been in my current position and I believe I would like to completely change gears. Geology holds a particular fascination for me and I think I would like to perhaps study planetary geology. The problem is that I have never been able to do math. I barely made it out of high school with basic Algebra I and basic Geometry and took only one math class in college--the patronizingly titled "Math for Humanities Majors".

Another possibility, one with a bit less math, is something in anthropology/archaeology. That was one of the things I found intriguing when I was little.

I am 47 years old, by the way, and the sole breadwinner in my family.

Geology you'll fine.... I'm awful at any maths (we call it 'maths' in Australia ha ha) and I'm a chemist at a minerals processing plant, and I used to work at a mine. Have done bits of geology projects for summer holiday work while studying. Go for it, it's a great field to get into.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 6:28 am

I don't think it should matter if you learn to compensate.

It's like saying someone with dyslexia can't be an English teacher. You just have to learn to adapt to the disability. Dyslexia doesn't mean you can't read War & Peace....it's just more work to accomplish the task.