Getting a job with bad grades, history of truancy, anxiety

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Candyman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jun 2015, 11:24 pm

In primary school I didn't do to well because I was just lazy and a lot of the time didn't't participate in class; which resulted in poor grades. I have always and still do have high anxiety and when high school came around that prevented me from going to a lot of my classes, this year I went to so few of my classes that I couldn't even be assessed. I have spent most of my time sitting at the special education unit and leaving the school grounds smoking, etc. My main concern is the truancy because no employer would dare hire someone who may as well have no high school education, let alone someone who has a history of severe truancy. I really need a part time job now and I need to know if I have any hope of getting a job or should I try to finish high school and attemp to further my education?

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2015, 7:26 am

I would go for the high school degree because it will open more doors.

I think some jobs don't even need education, some will just hire you after a quick interview. Like for example help in a restaurant or a retail store. Just need a good impression.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jun 2015, 1:57 pm

Finish High School, but remember that employers don't need to know about your truancy history if you don't want them to.

CateJayne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2015, 3:56 pm

Candyman wrote:
In primary school I didn't do to well because I was just lazy and a lot of the time didn't't participate in class; which resulted in poor grades. I have always and still do have high anxiety and when high school came around that prevented me from going to a lot of my classes, this year I went to so few of my classes that I couldn't even be assessed. I have spent most of my time sitting at the special education unit and leaving the school grounds smoking, etc. My main concern is the truancy because no employer would dare hire someone who may as well have no high school education, let alone someone who has a history of severe truancy. I really need a part time job now and I need to know if I have any hope of getting a job or should I try to finish high school and attemp to further my education?

Get a GED. There's absolutely no need to tell any potential employer that you had a truancy issues when you were a kid --- waaaaay long ago!!

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2015, 9:20 am

Finishing is all that matters. No one cares about truancy after you graduate or get a GED. The same is true with college. Just get a GED and then you won't have to go anymore.

I have a GED myself.