I just got another job in an office

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2014, 3:05 pm

So this job is conducting interviews with customers about stores and products. That part is all scripted so I'm fine there. I'm worried about staying on point and typing while the person on the phone is talking. Does anyone have any advice?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 4:14 pm

Hey Danny,

Have you started the job already?

I know this is a crap job--but it's a job.

I would just listen to what your trainer is saying. It's good that everything is scripted.

I would say that anybody talking on the phone and typing at the same time would have some difficulties in the beginning. I believe most supervisors would understand that, and have patience.

In most companies like this, you go through a "training period," lasting a week a two, where you don't actually talk to people on the phone. You might observe who is more experienced at this job--or they might have you talk to hypothetical people so you could practice.

I would ask questions if you don't understand something. Towards the end of your training, I would begin to ask less questions, and try to figure things out for yourself, since you would be a week into the training.

Good luck.

By the way: ever planning on going to college? A degree would assist you in getting away from the grind of crap jobs.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2014, 5:47 am

Yeah, I will take office tech classes through the community colleges adult basic education program then I want to start credit earnings classes in administration/accounting in the fall. I don't think I will get the week of training to lead up into call making. I will have some time to review, do a run through and then it's off to the races on Tuesday. The training was on Friday.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 2:13 pm

DancingDanny wrote:
So this job is conducting interviews with customers about stores and products. That part is all scripted so I'm fine there. I'm worried about staying on point and typing while the person on the phone is talking. Does anyone have any advice?

I feel like the act of typing what someone says helps me pay more attention to them.

In meetings where I'm not taking notes, I find my mind wandering too often, so, I even take notes when I don't need to, just to prevent myself from daydreaming.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2014, 10:00 am

Well, I took care of that call center job. I quit today.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 1:14 pm

Why'd you quit?

Not being judgemental.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2014, 1:44 am

Because I could find something better. The call center had a 90 day period that was paying $7.75 per hour and there was alot of rules where you could lose hours if you're need up to performance. On the hours I would have and in my transportation situation, my paycheck would be eaten up by gas money.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 7:08 am

Yep...that gas money. It's a bummer living in a place with no public transportation.

Good luck in your search!

I don't remember where you are located.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2014, 8:21 am

St. Louis.

I have an interview lined up for Friday. The pay is no big shakes to start with but there are raise periods and evaluations so it'll rise. The really good thing is that it's not a stinking call center.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 12:48 pm

DancingDanny wrote:
St. Louis.

I have an interview lined up for Friday. The pay is no big shakes to start with but there are raise periods and evaluations so it'll rise. The really good thing is that it's not a stinking call center.

Good luck with the interview Friday. ~fingers crossed~
Firm eval and raise periods are too rare these days, that sounds nice.

Back when I was in college in Illinois and started working at the medical center by forest park, I was able to rent a room close to the metrolink and take the train in cause there's a stop right there. It was sooo nice not having to deal with traffic and pay for so much gas, wish that train reached more places on the missouri side, I HATE having to commute by car. :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 1:20 pm

Yep...public transportation is of the utmost importance. Saves gas money.

I wish it were 2001, when gas was $1.00 a gallon on average.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2014, 2:52 am

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable with home key typing? It's apart of the classes that I have signed up for. I can type 65 WPM with moving my hands around the keyboard and my numbers plummet to the 15-20 range with home key since I don't do it in my personal life.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 10:15 am

DancingDanny wrote:
Does anyone else feel uncomfortable with home key typing? It's apart of the classes that I have signed up for. I can type 65 WPM with moving my hands around the keyboard and my numbers plummet to the 15-20 range with home key since I don't do it in my personal life.

I WAS uncomfortable with it in the past, as I moved my hands around the first few years I used a computer. But, I eventually took a typing class to do it the 'proper' way, at my Grandmother's urging, and got up to speed that way too after a bit of time and practice.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2014, 5:39 pm

Was that a private person or through a school, the typing class?

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 10:46 pm

DancingDanny wrote:
Was that a private person or through a school, the typing class?
people?

Hahaha, no.
I signed up to a website that had lessons. I can't recall the name, it was years ago.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2014, 1:15 am

I'm regretting my decision to quit because if I had spent the time to add it on my resume, it would improve my chances in the work world.