Is (broadcast) television operation(s) a good job...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 12:51 pm

For somebody with AS/or Autism

The job I'm ultimately wanting to get is a master control operator. Now there are college degrees requires such as a tech degree journalism and/or communications degree. I'm going to give it everything I got to get one of those degrees.

They are stating the ideal candidate would have the ability to work under pressure react promptly to operational changes and multitasking and skills required being organized self motivated thinking outside the box and excellent interpersonal and external communication skills.

I've got the passion for that type of work I know what is being used in broadcast and what is being planned for the future However I don't want to work my way in then having my disability kick in and cost me the job I've been wanting/working for.

So can anybody give advice or speak in general terms if this is something that those whom are on the spectrum would be able to do?

Thanks

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 1:09 pm

I think it's a good job, yes.

StrangeG
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2014, 3:32 pm

I've worked a little in film and television, but got my education in design and engineering. If I could go back in time I would have done film school instead.

The entertainment industry is full of all sorts of oddballs, if you're passionate about it could be a good choice for you. I'd suggest looking at various related positions to make sure you've found the best fit. Try going to a TV station, telling them you're considering a career in broadcasting, and ask if there is any kind of production assistant job you can do just to get a feel for the workplace.

Be careful not to commit to a lot of expensive and time consuming education without knowing what the actual day to day work you'll be doing is like. I've met plenty of people who say they want to work in movies, then find they dislike actually working on set.