Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

redchris89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2014, 5:58 pm

I desperately want a job, but ever since I was a teenager, I've felt crippled by my Asperger's, and all I've ever been told is what I can't do because of it. As a result, I have no work experience. So now I'm asking you all: what is a good first job for someone with Asperger's?

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 8:12 pm

redchris89 wrote:
I desperately want a job, but ever since I was a teenager, I've felt crippled by my Asperger's, and all I've ever been told is what I can't do because of it. As a result, I have no work experience. So now I'm asking you all: what is a good first job for someone with Asperger's?

My first job was in an accounting office where my Grandma worked. I did a lot of grunt work no one else wanted... Putting papers back in filing cabinets, shredding documents etc.

I'd also do temp work at the store my mom worked... Doing inventory twice a year. Quiet and working by myself, it was great.

Being a dishwasher was actually pretty good. I worked by myself. Though kitchens can be noisy, I worked in a small restaurant, so I could deal with it (later worked at a Cracker Barrel and the kitchen was WAY too noisy. Good training though and lots of rules, so I liked it okay otherwise.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

15 Jul 2014, 11:07 pm

It depends. Ask yourself what your strengths and weaknesses are. Use your strengths, and work on your weaknesses. Fill out applications. preferrably where a company is hiring. Wait a few days. Go in and ask if you can speak with the hiring manager. And practice saying this before you go in there. A mirror helps. Say " Hi (mr./mrs. Managers name) my name is so and so, I am following up on my application I filled out on (date). I was wondering if you had time to review it, and if you had any questions. Go from there. Most people don't follow up like that, and they will be happy to know that you are polite, and interested.

I have gotten alot of jobs this way, just never kept any of them.

redchris89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jul 2014, 4:06 pm

@MissDorkness: I don't mind noise as long as people let me do my job. There's a couple restaurants where I live, and I'll definitely see if they could use a dishwasher/busperson.

@yournamehere: See, that's exactly the kind of cookie-cutter advice that doesn't work for me or (and I can only speak for myself here) anyone with Asperger's. If it were that simple, I would not be on this forum asking about jobs I could do.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 8:48 pm

i bussed tables and washed dishes. This was pretty low stress. Another job I had that went fairly well was cleaning cabins [and whatever other work they needed] in the mountains. It was also pretty nice when I worked in a greenhouse. My favorite was working as an usher in the movie theatres because I got to see all the movies for free and also free soda, popcorn and hotdogs.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 8:48 pm

i bussed tables and washed dishes. This was pretty low stress. Another job I had that went fairly well was cleaning cabins [and whatever other work they needed] in the mountains. It was also pretty nice when I worked in a greenhouse. My favorite was working as an usher in the movie theatres because I got to see all the movies for free and also free soda, popcorn and hotdogs.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

18 Jul 2014, 9:57 pm

http://www.whatcareerisrightforme.com

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't understand the question.

Try this quiz.

Other than that, like they said. Any menial labor job is a good start. If you get a job you cannot do, or do not like, and do not want to do, you can always tell the boss that it is not what you are looking for. They can either move you around, or you can quit. My first job was pulling weeds at a farm. I was 12. I was a bus boy after that. didn't like it, so I washed dishes. Did all of that until high school was over, than I landscaped, and mowed lawns and stuff, until I finished college. I tried cooking, but when it got buisy, it was a nightmare for me. Never minded stocking shelves either. That is right up my alley. Cleaning is easy too.