Full time jobs that aren't too overwhelming...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MoonLove
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2015, 9:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could share any experiences of full time work and what jobs are easier to hold down on a full time basis. My boyfriend works in retail and finds this exhausting working part time (understandably so, I did too!). I have suggested perhaps admin work (less interaction, predictable tasks) but am at a bit of a loss with suggestions really. He says he will look for maybe back room work at retailers etc but I want to help him with suggestions of other options that he might enjoy and feel some pride in.

Thanks in advance.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 9:14 pm

Aspies are happiest with jobs directly to any special interests they have.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 1:14 pm

I would say jobs in production such as warehouse work. I did warehouse work in a bakery which was just simple picking and packing of bread. I've done some clerical jobs in a warehouse environment too such as quality control where all I had to do was take piles of work orders, put them in the correct envelopes and have the correct number of them, meter them, then ship them. I found both those jobs to be the easiest jobs I ever had until I pursued more challenging and better paying work. But for the short term, if you want a job that is full-time, low stress and rather easy, I would say warehouse work is the answer. The jobs are a dime a dozen as most temp agencies have them. You just need a HS diploma or GED to qualify.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 9:06 am

Go to industrial parks and apply in person.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 9:13 am

I've always wanted to work in a library.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Feb 2015, 12:29 am

MoonLove wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could share any experiences of full time work and what jobs are easier to hold down on a full time basis. My boyfriend works in retail and finds this exhausting working part time (understandably so, I did too!). I have suggested perhaps admin work (less interaction, predictable tasks) but am at a bit of a loss with suggestions really. He says he will look for maybe back room work at retailers etc but I want to help him with suggestions of other options that he might enjoy and feel some pride in.

Thanks in advance.

Hi ML......

My background:
I graduated with a bachelor's degree in accounting. I was fired from my most recent position about a month ago as a staff accountant. After doing a lot of reflecting, I have chosen to pursue accounting clerk type positions because they work specifically with one or two areas of accounting (accounts payable/accounts receivable), as opposed to working many different areas within accounting as a staff accountant. But after speaking with my fiance, she felt I should take a cut in pay from the previous position and work a less demanding accounting position. Sure, some people might think I am nuts for making the transition because I will look overqualified and such for being an accounting clerk. However, being an accounting clerk will enable me to do a great job in the accounts payable, receivable areas and then work my way up from there. Plus, I realized I don't do well with I am multitasking all over the place.

The way I look at it is this: It's all about "fit" and niche. Where is the niche that makes me a better "fit" for the next position? If a position was about seeing how much money a company could throw at me for taking a higher level position, then maybe I am not thinking of "fit" as much as I should. I know what my expenses are, so that how I know how much less in salary I can take in my next position for me to be a better "fit".

Likewise, my suggestion is for your boyfriend to reflect on his work experiences. If retail might no longer be for him, what is his niche for his next position that makes him a better "fit"?

Scott

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:41 am

Anything in digital arts. I'm working in 3D modeling and my coworkers are friendlier than those of any other software discipline I've practiced, plus it puts me in touch with all kinds of sweet equipment.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2015, 4:37 am

GCAspies wrote:
MoonLove wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Hi ML......

My background:
I graduated with a bachelor's degree in accounting. I was fired from my most recent position about a month ago as a staff accountant. After doing a lot of reflecting, I have chosen to pursue accounting clerk type positions because they work specifically with one or two areas of accounting (accounts payable/accounts receivable), as opposed to working many different areas within accounting as a staff accountant. But after speaking with my fiance, she felt I should take a cut in pay from the previous position and work a less demanding accounting position. Sure, some people might think I am nuts for making the transition because I will look overqualified and such for being an accounting clerk. However, being an accounting clerk will enable me to do a great job in the accounts payable, receivable areas and then work my way up from there. Plus, I realized I don't do well with I am multitasking all over the place.

The way I look at it is this: It's all about "fit" and niche. Where is the niche that makes me a better "fit" for the next position? If a position was about seeing how much money a company could throw at me for taking a higher level position, then maybe I am not thinking of "fit" as much as I should. I know what my expenses are, so that how I know how much less in salary I can take in my next position for me to be a better "fit".

Likewise, my suggestion is for your boyfriend to reflect on his work experiences. If retail might no longer be for him, what is his niche for his next position that makes him a better "fit"?

Scott

I can relate to this. I've chosen to pursue an associates in office administration with an accounting focus because my career goal is to get a clerk/bookkeeper type of job, and that's because I know that the customer service side isn't desirable to me. I'll probably start a basic accounting procedures class in the Summer.