Accommodations for Asperger's--Workplace

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Do you receive accommodations in your workplace--whether overt or implied?
I receive clearly-defined accommodations 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
I feel accommodated somewhat, despite no clearly-defined accommodations 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
No 71%  71%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 28

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 1:55 pm

Do you receive formal or "informal" accommodations at your workplace--whether for Asperger's/Autism or any other disability?

The only "accommodation" I receive at work is the bosses tolerating my meowing in my cubicle LOL. There is, also, a toleration of my "weirdness" owing to my ability to do my job well.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 3:50 pm

At my last job after much effort I received an accommodation allowing me to not have to answer the phone.

Permanence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2014, 11:47 pm

After having a shut down and some med-related issues, I asked for some 'accommodations' by way of a letter from a psychiatrist.

Basically, I asked to be moved to a desk with less fluorescent lighting, which my work was happy to do - my desk now faces the window so I only have natural light directly in front of me. The alternative was that the light be changed to a warmer tinted light.

I did ask for other things, like to be removed from the telephone pick up group, but this hasn't happened yet (it's been 4 months so I'd say it's been forgotten about), and to be given more space, which has kind of happened incidentally. I've also been told I can wear my headphones if I want, but this was already acceptable prior to the discussions about accommodations. It's just not a realistic thing considering I work in a role where I have colleagues, managers and such approaching me on a regular basis and now with me facing away from people, I tend to jump/get startled if someone approaches me from behind without warning. So I don't wear my headphones too much now so I can hear people approaching.

Like you, Kraftie, I guess the best accommodation I have to date is people 'tolerating' me. I am very open when it comes to the fact I am different and I think it helps to be able to have a laugh at your own expense sometimes...helps people tolerate I think.

EDIT: Oh and I got a formal accommodation to be warned of fire drills before they happen so I can remove myself from the building prior to all the hoohah. The sirens, the people, the stairs, the break in routine, it's a sensory nightmare for me.

So TL;DR: formal but informal.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2014, 8:18 pm

Permanence wrote:

EDIT: Oh and I got a formal accommodation to be warned of fire drills before they happen so I can remove myself from the building prior to all the hoohah. The sirens, the people, the stairs, the break in routine, it's a sensory nightmare for me.

So TL;DR: formal but informal.

Oh, that's nice...

We had monthly drills at my last workplace, and I was privy there, due to my job. Now? It's supposed to be a surprise... the tone of the alarms in my current building is very high. The stairwells are bare concrete and bounce noise horrendously... and I work with people who add to the noise in an intolerable manner.

I hate it.

RotaryTurbo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2014, 7:49 am

That's fairly interesting, that they would allow you to circumvent the fire drill procedure. I bet our safety coordinator here would freak out if he heard something like that, he's hardcore about safety. Heh. On a serious note, I would suggest finding one or two people you can confide in at work. People who can help you out if needed in the case of a actual fire. I can't imagine being a sensory-overloaded person trying to get out of a burning building by myself. Not saying you'd be incapable in such a situation, but if you feel like your composure might compromise your safety in such a situation then this might be an idea for a back-up plan.

About the topic overall, I have adjusted well enough to society that I don't need any particular type of accommodation. I've also found a job that suits me better, I have few problems or complaints regarding things unique to my behavior.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clarke

Permanence
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2014, 4:30 pm

Heya. Sorry I should have said that I am on the mobility register as well so the fire wardens on my floor are aware that I require assistance. My closest team mates are aware that I have autism and we look out for each other. Unfortunately people on the mobility register don't get evacuated during drills and are left in the building with the sirens going off and lights flashing until the drill is over. It may take 7 minutes to clear 45 storey building but it takes about 2 hours for them to account for everyone and the rest of the day for me to recover from it.

Don't feet me wrong, I am of complete understanding of how to evacuate the building if I need to, but we have a drill every 6 months which is excessive for someone who can be completely wiped out from it for the day and cause a scene.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

14 Aug 2014, 11:21 pm

No, mostly because I haven't asked for any. I think the only thing I really need right now is a good set of ear plugs. :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 3:34 pm

No. In order to ask for accommodations I would have had to have known I was disabled.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2014, 4:27 pm

No but after working for over a month I realized I didn't need any since all I really needed was just practice with helping out customers

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 4:48 pm

I don't work currently but as far as i remember I never got any accommodations when I did. Perhaps this is because I was not diagnosed yet at that time?

The only thing I managed to bring in was being allowed to turn off one of fluorescent bulbs. There was like 10 of them in the room and one was making a constant buzz sound. They were always turning it on together with all the bulbs but noone was saying anything when I was turning it off. I assume they had no idea which switch turns this one so they were switching on all of them because it was easier.

I also managed to convince my boss I am unable to make phone calls but it required a meltdown to occur. I couldn't control myself so I started to cry and yelled to my boss that I am going to quit the job because I just can't take it anymore. She gave the phone making responsibilities to another worker then. But I quit the job anyway 2 months after. My boss was not forcing me to make phone calls anymore but her boss was still making me to do so. I could be "save" only when the higher boss was outside.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 6:51 am

I'm currently changing employers if my interview(s) go well today. I thought working in a small store with one other person would be as uncomplicated as it gets but my AS makes it a huge challenge.

I'll see how things go at the new job (hoping I get it); the employer is a large grocery store that I've shopped at regularly for over 10 years.

I know this isn't exactly about accommodations, however I would like to stress that one accommodation I'd love to have in all my jobs-- the excuse or permission not to socialize and still be thought of well. :)