Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 2:43 pm

How come employers are hesitant to employ 'a nasty person'?

TheNinjaSquid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm

Could you specifie "nasty"? And the kind of job you are applying for?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 3:06 pm

TheNinjaSquid wrote:
Could you specifie "nasty"? And the kind of job you are applying for?

Well someone who is miserable and causes bad spirit in the work place.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2014, 3:23 pm

How could they tell this by looking at a person?

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

TheNinjaSquid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2014, 4:06 pm

Well most people are less productive when they are unhappy, especially in the service sector unfriendly employees can negatively affect your sale volume.

For aspies the case is oftem that your particular area of intresst is either highly lucrative like the technology sector or you are forced to live of wellfare cause your bad interpesonal skills are excluding you from the service industry which provides most of the non skilled jobs. If you are lucky you live in nothern europe were you have an accomedating wellfare state to keep you from the worst excesses of poverty.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 7:15 pm

Because really, who the f**k would want to work with someone who is miserable and causes bad spirit?

I'm waiting for "How come girls don't like it when you call them fat and ugly?"

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 7:28 pm

Because the other employees won't like them, and there will be a negative vibe in the workplace.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 3:55 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Because really, who the f**k would want to work with someone who is miserable and causes bad spirit?

This.

Although, I can relate to the OP's question... a few years back when I was a miserable as*hole, I could still be a productive worker and it irritated me that social status and like-ability trumped productivity and the bottom line. I've since come to realize that no one likes to be around a miserable as*hole & that money isn't everything - even to a business. It's much better for an employer to have a happier employee that others like to be around (whether coworkers or clients) who produces a little less than it is to have a miserable SOB who works his ass off. Over the long run, but business will be more successful and profitable with the less productive happy employee vs. the highly effective and efficient guy that no one can stand so others quit or take their business elsewhere.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 8:54 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

This.

Although, I can relate to the OP's question... a few years back when I was a miserable as*hole, I could still be a productive worker and it irritated me that social status and like-ability trumped productivity and the bottom line. I've since come to realize that no one likes to be around a miserable as*hole & that money isn't everything - even to a business. It's much better for an employer to have a happier employee that others like to be around (whether coworkers or clients) who produces a little less than it is to have a miserable SOB who works his ass off. Over the long run, but business will be more successful and profitable with the less productive happy employee vs. the highly effective and efficient guy that no one can stand so others quit or take their business elsewhere.

Yeah, that's one thing that my VP was very clear on when she was interviewing. The main thing she wanted was someone who would get along with the team.
Their last worker had been standoffish and unfriendly and it made people hesitate to talk over the cube walls like normal, and also meant more people spent time away from their desks, trying to stay away from the unpleasantness.

Luckily, I had a consultant friend working here who attested that I was pleasant to work with (though he's a programming and database nerd, so he's likely biased). But, the people I work with are funny, but, low key, so, I don't stand out too much. There were two hires made after me and they've fit in as well. It's been good, people communicate a lot and well, so that's good. (as I've mentioned, it's a bit much for me, I might have preferred it when folks were leery of speaking :lol: )

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 9:00 am

What is wrong with wanting to get along with people, anyway?

I'm a Aspie, and I'm not the most social person.

But I believe being pleasant goes a long way. It makes the day go quicker. It also increases productivity, since there is a pleasant aura around people who desire to be pleasant.

Nastiness is dispiriting IMHO. It's also absolutely useless, and it gets nobody anywhere. I feel like muzzling the face of a nasty person sometimes.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 11:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What is wrong with wanting to get along with people, anyway?

I'm a Aspie, and I'm not the most social person.

But I believe being pleasant goes a long way. It makes the day go quicker. It also increases productivity, since there is a pleasant aura around people who desire to be pleasant.

Nastiness is dispiriting IMHO. It's also absolutely useless, and it gets nobody anywhere. I feel like muzzling the face of a nasty person sometimes.

Well said, I concur.

Takes very little energy to keep one's mouth shut. :lol:

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 8:04 am

goldfish21 wrote:
I've since come to realize that no one likes to be around a miserable as*hole & that money isn't everything - even to a business. It's much better for an employer to have a happier employee that others like to be around (whether coworkers or clients) who produces a little less than it is to have a miserable SOB who works his ass off.

This is a sad truth in life.

You don't have to be "social," but you have to be "pleasant." Learn basic social pleasantries, and use them. Keep complaining to yourself.

It's lonely, but I think a lot of NTs do the same just to ensure they don't "talk themselves out of a job."

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Aug 2014, 11:07 am

Sometimes the simple act of being pleasant will cause you to not want to be nasty anymore. I don't like working around nastiness. Nastiness can create a hostile work environment which is illegal and will not be tolerated by HR.

Daveytn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2014, 6:40 am

I get looked at as "nasty" in that respect just because I look unhappy, however in my head I'm usually in the clouds looking forward to soemthing later that day :)

This is one of the main problems (i feel!) of why I am not employed :\

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Sep 2014, 7:04 am

Daveytn wrote:
I get looked at as "nasty" in that respect just because I look unhappy, however in my head I'm usually in the clouds looking forward to soemthing later that day :)

This is one of the main problems (i feel!) of why I am not employed :\

This is not insurmountable. NT's interpret smiles as happiness. Practice it in the mirror. See if you can catch a reflection of yourself in the moment. It worked for me. I realized that I looked sullen even though I did not feel that way. My smile is cheesy so I practice smiling with my eyes by keeping a softer expression,

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 9:57 am

mattschwartz01 wrote:
Sometimes the simple act of being pleasant will cause you to not want to be nasty anymore. I don't like working around nastiness. Nastiness can create a hostile work environment which is illegal and will not be tolerated by HR.

This.

It is a bigger money pit dealing with a stellar worker who is a poor fit personality wise, than the middle of the road skill wise person who gets along with everyone.