Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2014, 11:25 pm

Hello all:

I am graduating college next year with a degree in IT, and as such will be in the process of looking for work. As someone who is on the spectrum, this doesn't make things any easier either, nor am I the greatest at job interviews. I just have one question: what do you think is the best city to find a job in IT for one on the spectrum with zero on the job experience? This has been on my mind for quite a while now. I would hate to graduate college and be jobless. It would be a slap in the face for all my hard work.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 8:39 am

DT,

I think the best advice I have to give is that, the best city to job search in is the one in which you know the most people. I've gotten a couple of interviews without a personal introduction, but, every single job offer I've received has been a result of a someone making an introduction.

I know "networking" didn't come naturally to me at first, but, at least it helps I've professionally worked in nerdy industries which makes it way easier for someone like me.
I also love the internet. I started a blog and became involved in a professional forum. I can communicate more easily in text. So, by the time I would meet people in person, they had already decided I was kinda smart and they liked me.

My first professional gig, I'd met the referrer at church. My current gig, I'd seen the guy present and peppered him with questions. He thought they were good questions and offered me a couple jobs over the years. This one wasn't an offer from him, but, from one of his clients. (I'm not sure I'm ready to do consulting)

I've also worked small freelance jobs in technical writing and tech editing, met most of those folks on beta testing forums and on twitter.

Anyway, best of luck. It's tough to start out, but, all you need is one person to help you get your foot in one door, to get some of that experience.
Just make yourself visible... LinkedIn, maybe a blog (even if it's just curating & commenting on interesting content from established sources), any professional forums that might be applicable to what you want to get into (desktop support? programming? system administration? database administration?).

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2014, 11:10 pm

Solid advice. I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks