Nonskilled labor/bad back/socially isolated/U.S

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2014, 11:44 am

The subject thread pretty much sums it up. I have a ruptured disc that severely limits the kinds of activities, and thus work, I am able to handle. When it first slipped, I was bed-ridden (or more accurately, floor ridden, since the bed caused enormous amounts of pain from not being firm enough for proper support) for nearly a year. It is still fragile, and will continue to be, FOREVER (dramatic sound effect). I've tried the college route twice, but tend to get overwhelmed by social pressures, difficulties with writing essays, and assignment deadlines (I also tend to get lost on tangential projects that greatly increase the rate of learning, yet neglecting to do my assignments is what my grades tend to reflect). So college looks as if it is out of the picture. This leaves me as an unskilled laborer who cannot stand on his feet all day (horrible for my back), cannot do physically demanding activities, and who does not handle in-person social interactions well at all. I've been looking into data entry jobs, but there's nothing around my area. What other jobs could I realistically do? And for relevance's sake, I live in the U.S

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 12:01 pm

Firstly, I am glad that you still have sense of humor about your physical disability. My own sense of humor in the face of the more painful moments of my physical disabilities isn't always as robust. Good for you.

As for low-impact employment, I would suggest trying one of those call centers that seem to be the only workplaces that are currently hiring. The silver lining about such a job is that you can work as much or as little as you choose. A friend of mine is a shift manager for Convergys and has workers who work from home, and others who work on site for four hours a day, or a full eight hours. Up to them and their managers. I wonder if your social interaction with callers would be as bad for you as in-person interactions. Data entry would be good, too. Human-resources work is also solitary (except for the occasional employee asking questions).

Good luck!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2014, 1:01 pm

Thanks for the advice AspieUtah. Verbal communication is another struggle of mine. There's a bit of a delay between hearing words and making sense of what is being said as a whole. The idea of a call center makes me a bit nervous, but I will look into it. I've never tried it before, so who knows, perhaps removing all the other sensory stimuli would help with processing audio communication better.

I've found that there are only two things I can do in the face of this absurdism we call life: to cry or laugh at it. I try to stick to laughing, though there are definitely times when laughing does not work (and no, I'm not just referring to when the happy pills run out ;) (On a more serious note, I try to avoid those pills as much as possible).). Anyways, thanks for the encouragement, and I wish you a humorous day for when s**t hits the fan.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 1:13 pm

Spectacles wrote:
...On a more serious note, I try to avoid those pills as much as possible....

Unless it is needed for you to stay alive, I wholeheartedly support choice when it comes to medication.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 1:13 pm

if you are not signed up on some kind of health care you need to do so. hopefully you are not in one of those backward states that refuses Medicaid for its low-income citizens. back problems like what you have can easily morph into far worse things if not nipped in the bud. please get some definitive medical treatment. be kind to your back.

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2014, 1:35 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Spectacles wrote:

Unless it is needed for you to stay alive, I wholeheartedly support choice when it comes to medication.

I'm referring to pain medication here. Since the addiction potential is quite high, I tend to cycle off and on depending on the severity of the pain (I've known enough people who pop those pills for the heck of it. There's quite the slippery slope with pain medication).

@auntblabby, I'm covered under my mom (a nurse, so it's relatively descent coverage) until I'm 26. I haven't looked into medicaid yet because I was hoping to find employment with decent benefits by then, but perhaps it would be worth getting familiar with the ins and outs of it sooner rather than later just in case. Thanks for the head's up (and damn the States for their crappy healthcare system in general. I've learnt that it would be less expensive to {travel to Germany, get top notch surgery from a top notch surgeon, stay there until I'm good enough to return} than to {get surgery here in the States under my current insurance}. I wish the political world would see that there's something definitively wrong with that picture (especially when that's the norm)).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 1:46 pm

Spectacles wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Spectacles wrote:

I'm referring to pain medication here. Since the addiction potential is quite high, I tend to cycle off and on depending on the severity of the pain (I've known enough people who pop those pills for the heck of it. There's quite the slippery slope with pain medication).

@auntblabby, I'm covered under my mom (a nurse, so it's relatively descent coverage) until I'm 26. I haven't looked into medicaid yet because I was hoping to find employment with decent benefits by then, but perhaps it would be worth getting familiar with the ins and outs of it sooner rather than later just in case. Thanks for the head's up (and damn the States for their crappy healthcare system in general. I've learnt that it would be less expensive to {travel to Germany, get top notch surgery from a top notch surgeon, stay there until I'm good enough to return} than to {get surgery here in the States under my current insurance}. I wish the political world would see that there's something definitively wrong with that picture (especially when that's the norm)).

that is prudent of you to take the pain pills strictly as needed. in America unless one is wealthy it is relatively hard to get pain medication. so conserve what you were lucky enough to get. as for employment health insurance, fewer and fewer companies are offering benefits of any kind [at least those with less than 50 people] so you will likely have to try your luck on the state exchanges [federal exchanges in the backwards states]. if you are a dual national then you are very fortunate as chances are your other country has better and far more affordable healthcare of which you can avail yourself. as for the American political world. what the rest of the world sees as a defect, our politics sees as a salient feature, namely making health care as hard to get as possible for "undesirables" such as working class people. hell, if I could live in Germany I would, even if I would have to find a german-speaking friend.

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2014, 2:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
that is prudent of you to take the pain pills strictly as needed. in America unless one is wealthy it is relatively hard to get pain medication. so conserve what you were lucky enough to get. as for employment health insurance, fewer and fewer companies are offering benefits of any kind [at least those with less than 50 people] so you will likely have to try your luck on the state exchanges [federal exchanges in the backwards states]. if you are a dual national then you are very fortunate as chances are your other country has better and far more affordable healthcare of which you can avail yourself. as for the American political world. what the rest of the world sees as a defect, our politics sees as a salient feature, namely making health care as hard to get as possible for "undesirables" such as working class people. hell, if I could live in Germany I would, even if I would have to find a german-speaking friend.

Depending on how much you like beer and sausages, you might already have a few friends waiting for you in Germany.
Though I grew up in another country, I do not have dual citizenship. And seen that wealth is not a major motivator in my life, I guess it's time to watch some comedy :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 2:31 pm

Spectacles wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Depending on how much you like beer and sausages, you might already have a few friends waiting for you in Germany.
Though I grew up in another country, I do not have dual citizenship. And seen that wealth is not a major motivator in my life, I guess it's time to watch some comedy :)

I could learn to love boch beer, and I love sausages [but they don't love me :hmph: ] but you are fortunate to be able to get health care in Germany.

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2014, 10:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I could learn to love boch beer, and I love sausages [but they don't love me :hmph: ] but you are fortunate to be able to get health care in Germany.

I don't have healthcare in Germany. That's the funny part. All the info I came up with is from research into the most appropriate surgery given my situation, one that's only recently made its way into clinical trials in the States (I compared the plane ticket+surgery+miscellaneous expenses in Germany with the cost of the best surgery I could get in the States, which wouldn't be as effective (and wouldn't last as long) as the one in Germany. Yet it would still be cheaper to do the former without health insurance than get 2nd rate surgery in the States with it). I can't afford either, so I'm trying to be as careful as can be while waiting till I snap. Thus the switch in jobs, since the current one isn't working out too well.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 10:14 pm

gosh :o I wish you the best of luck. what a world.

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Aug 2014, 10:50 am

Spectacles wrote:
The subject thread pretty much sums it up. I have a ruptured disc that severely limits the kinds of activities, and thus work, I am able to handle. When it first slipped, I was bed-ridden (or more accurately, floor ridden, since the bed caused enormous amounts of pain from not being firm enough for proper support) for nearly a year. It is still fragile, and will continue to be, FOREVER (dramatic sound effect). I've tried the college route twice, but tend to get overwhelmed by social pressures, difficulties with writing essays, and assignment deadlines (I also tend to get lost on tangential projects that greatly increase the rate of learning, yet neglecting to do my assignments is what my grades tend to reflect). So college looks as if it is out of the picture. This leaves me as an unskilled laborer who cannot stand on his feet all day (horrible for my back), cannot do physically demanding activities, and who does not handle in-person social interactions well at all. I've been looking into data entry jobs, but there's nothing around my area. What other jobs could I realistically do? And for relevance's sake, I live in the U.S

How are you with sitting for long periods of time? You might be able to get a CDL-A and drive a tractor trailer. The money is decent and you can't beat the scenery most of the time. I'm strongly considering doing this myself.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 8:42 pm

You could make jewelery. You could carve wood. You could knit afghans. You could sew quilts. You could do data entry. You could walk dogs. You could house-sit. Depending how far you got into the college experience, what you learned, what your grades were, and all that kind of stuff, you could write code or copy edit, or tutor others in math.

In the mean time, you should probably see if there are any focus groups or anything in your area. It isn't steady work by any means, but it's an easy way to make $100 in an hour.

What are your skills and hobbies? Do you have any leadership experience?

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Aug 2014, 9:47 am

@mattschwartz01, didn't think of that. Sitting still for long periods of time can be rather painful, but not sure if it would be damaging. That does sound like an appealing job.

@BetwixBetween, I don't have any leadership experience. I'm pretty descent at guitar. Lessons are possible. I used to be very athletic, so most of my skills/hobbies/experience have to do with activities I can no longer do. Interesting suggestions, I'll have to look into the details a bit more to see how one makes a living from these skills. A regular gig would definitely be more appealing (because of school bills and all), but if it works, it works. I'm not sure how effective that would be in my current area, but again, those are details I'll look into.

Thanks for all the ideas! They're much appreciated!