Page 1 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Apr 2005, 10:50 am

I just got a job so I'm naturally interested in what types of jobs other individuals with Asperger's syndrome have. I work at a small company forward thinking company with a focus on innovation. Because the company is so small, my responsibilities are very broad. They include programming, web development, system administration, and other computer related topics. My official title is "Operational Director of Network Infrastructure" which is a catch-all term to describe my wide area of responsibilities. I am interested in the jobs of other people on WrongPlanet. I wonder if there is a higher concentration of computer professionals in the AS community...

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2005, 11:08 am

I may work in a restraunt now, but I have
worked in a small computer house in Palo
Alto. They went out of business in 2000.
The place was a Mac and PC refurbishing
and reselling house...and I fixed and cleaned
the computers.

Right now my roommate and I am starting
a similar "Shoebox" level business. We
right now have fleamarket level budgeting
and equipment start off business advertising.

A $10 scanner for pictures to go on flyer's.
A $35 CD-Burner so I can burn copies,
2 printers that cost $20 for both to sample and mass
produce flyers.

Ect...

We are currently focused on Macs and that is
a area I am strong in, and will move to PC
Laptops as well. We only do portables and that
means less space to store things is required.

Otherwise, I do banking duties, banner waving duties,
shipping and recieving duties, some minimal
restraunt duties, and best of all the owners
(wife/husband team) are aware of my strengths
and weaknesses. By being outed(HFA style)
I am able to say I can still be employed and
say God-Bless them for allowing me to heal
and find my strengths and weakness so I
can better myself(I hope) employment wise
in the future.

Bless their hearts,

From Ghosthunter

jman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2005, 12:03 pm

Cool alex Im going to school to be a network administrator, altough I don't know much programming, just a little bit of VB and HTML :(. i start my internship sometime later this year. You just got out of high school and you got a job like that, thats pretty awesome man, Good luck man! :D

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2005, 2:33 pm

I stack shelves in a supermarket.

In my dream world, I would like to be a pharmacist or accountant, but I can't afford the training.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2005, 2:40 pm

Wow, Alex, that is an impressive job for someone as young as you are.

I am a full-time student at an art school, and I do workstudy here at school monitoring the computer labs.

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Apr 2005, 3:43 pm

jman wrote:
Cool alex Im going to school to be a network administrator, altough I don't know much programming, just a little bit of VB and HTML :(. i start my internship sometime later this year. You just got out of high school and you got a job like that, thats pretty awesome man, Good luck man! :D

I haven't gotten out of HS yet, but i will in June. Its a good job though. I can work from home and at the office (which is really a dorm suite) and I don't have "hours" in that I just come in when I'm needed or when i want to.

I'm really excited about it. I got my first paycheck after working for only 8.75 hours.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2005, 6:59 pm

I'm sorry Alex, but since the Work forum is not hidden from Google I'd rather not say exactly what I do for a living in this thread as public knowledge that I have a PDD could cost me my job or at least significantly limit my options. I think I mentioned it several weeks ago in one of the member-only forums where I feel safer. I'll explain it to you on IRC if you're interested.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2005, 9:28 pm

Congratulations Alex, it's a very exciting thing that first paycheck! especially at your age, you've done well.

I'm one of those aspies who are hopeless/poor in maths and science fields so I find it rather puzzling the notion that aspies are innately good with computers and such things.

I'm more the creative type and unfortunately arts is much harder to succeed in because it's more a 'who you know' field (as opposed to a 'what you know' field) and that can be hard for aspies.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2005, 11:10 pm

You've got me beat for my first job. My first job was stuffing sausages and hot dogs into vaccum molded packages on an assembly line.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2005, 10:51 pm

I am on SSDI. Thus, no job atm.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2005, 12:34 am

Part time waitress at the moment. Will probably end up in Graphic Design/Advertising.

I would like, though to be a model .

jman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 9:07 am

Quote:

I think you could do it hale, after all you are a real hottie :lol: The thing about modeling though is it can only be done as a part time thing and not as actually as a full time career. I was thinking about modeling for Hollisters or Abercrombie & fitch once I work out a lil bit and get a tan. I think I could do it too. :D Wouldn't you agree? :wink:

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 9:53 am

hale_bopp wrote:

You do realise that models have to smile sometimes, though? :wink:

Neon_Knight
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Apr 2005, 7:29 pm

I am professionally trained in weather observing and used to work in assisting weather forecasters, until advances in technology made me surplus to requirements. I failed to become trained as a weather forecaster because I failed really badly at the selection interviews.

I can never do interviews, I get really nervous and stressed that I can't answer any question thrown at me, and can't give eye contact and I hate being stared at by the interviewers.

I work in a library now while studying part-time for a physics degree.

strange_wraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2005, 8:54 pm

I work as a cashier in a Walgreen's pharmacy. So I mostly just rob seniors and the weak and destitute [sarcasm at the ugly part of my job]. It's kind of sad really, what with the price of medications these days. The one thing I do like about my job is that, unlike school, my job doesn't follow me home, so I don't have to think about it when I'm not working, which is quite a relief.

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 4:37 pm

I drive a forklift at a frozen foods processing plant. We process blueberries, carrots, onion rings and other battered products. It's a fun job most of the time. I am extremely fast and precise. Supervisors fight over who gets to have me on their shift. Shifts that I have been on have reeled in the highest production numbers by a long shot. It all begins with the lift driver at the beginning of the line who puts the raw product through. I have done this job for 5 years now. When I first started, I was a mental basket case. I was stabbed in the ear at school and generally mistreated there anyway. The incident was all cleanly covered up and all I knew was that I couldn't hide away...I needed a job. I was even accepted into DeVry tech school for a network management course when I was in my last year of high school. It all went down the drain. The people I work with have been very accepting of me and my oddities for the most part. My hard work and ability to create the most efficient methods of doing certain jobs makes people respect me. It's the first place in my life outside of my family where I have felt accepted.

People often stand and watch me drive as if they were watching a sports event on a bigscreen. When I drive at my fastest, my concentration is extremely intense but I am also extremely relaxed. I can bring a load from the floor, move forward and raise it at the same time, then hit the target with no more than +-2 inches of error without stopping. Not to be cockey but no other drivers can come close to that combination of speed and deadly accuracy. I liken it to shooting targets with a gun. It's kind of relaxing but at the same time requires intense focus. I kind of get a high off of it.

2 years ago I started to notice a difference in my confidence level. I got a house with some help from my family. I have 2 apartments rented out in it and I live in the upstairs. This year I got a small house just down the street and plan on redoing it into a 3 unit building. I think even if I won the lottery I would still be driving the forklift at the plant. I love the job, I love raising the bar and setting records. If I won 20 million I would have a new Hyster with a set of custom chrome wheels and some other mods. The shift pattern is 2 12 hour shifts one week, 5 the next week, running on 2 weeks of dayshift and then 2 weeks of nightshift. The pattern gives me alot of time off during midweeks which is very important for the renovations that I do on the houses.