Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Cyd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2014, 10:10 am

I worked off and on at many jobs and spent many years as a hermit, more or less. But I did have a job - the longest ever - for 10 years. But I eventually just couldn't do it anymore. Currently, my daughter is supporting me as I design a company and product line in an effort to support myself. Problem is, I can't seem to get past the designing stage. I have everything ready to go, from the name, logo and branding to the initial products to the target sector to the website and "feel" to the accounting and administration - I have materials, equipment and could have it all up and running inside a week. I just have to get it from my head to my hands and I Just can't seem to do that. And it's not the first time. I have probably 10 other businesses, products and brands - all designed and ready to go.

Apparently, I need more incentive than mere financial independence - or an aspie partner to nag my ass into gear.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 4:17 pm

A lot of reasons. I have severe executive functioning issues and extremely severe anxiety. I become overwhelmed easily if told to do too many tasks at once. If you told me to clean up the bathroom stalls, I'd stand there with a dumb look on my face. I also have cognitive delays as well. I think a lot of it is due to autism, but I'm not really sure. *shrug* I'm on SSI under my dad at the moment. I get confused easily too.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 12:00 am

Because no one will hire me.

(I just graduated with my Masters in IT management)

As I've said in the other threads, I am not "experienced" enough to get even an internship over the past few years (I have 3 internships and numerous IT projects under my belt)

Or other conflicting feedback on my interviewing style (I'm too rigid and strict or not rigid and strict enough depending on who you ask).

Or it is something else entirely...

Or I have too much education and potential to work low end jobs such as retail (was told this as well).

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2014, 12:18 am

I have a generous dose of POTS to go with my Asperger's. Makes me really badly tachycardic at times. My old job at the coffee shop was all standing & there's no way they could specially accommodate my issues, so I was taken off the schedule.

A few years ago my doctor diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but at the time I was still able to work shortened hours. When the POTS hit I wasn't able to work at all.

A bit about POTS as I realize not many might have heard of it:
http://www.dinet.org/index.php/informat ... s-symptoms

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

bacun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2014, 6:31 am

Criminal record ,Aspergers diagnosis ,no car,collecting SSI

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 9:36 am

xenocity wrote:

As I've said in the other threads, I am not "experienced" enough to get even an internship over the past few years (I have 3 internships and numerous IT projects under my belt)

Or other conflicting feedback on my interviewing style (I'm too rigid and strict or not rigid and strict enough depending on who you ask).

Or I have too much education and potential to work low end jobs such as retail (was told this as well).

I know that feeling, being passed up for being overqualified for no qualification work, and not having enough experience to work in the field I am trained. That combined with coming off as "odd" or "off" in interviews made getting a job difficult.

There is hope. Eventually I found work as an entry level tech. Currently I am being considered for a higher level position with recommendations from my higher ups.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 2:58 pm

nebrets wrote:
xenocity wrote:

I know that feeling, being passed up for being overqualified for no qualification work, and not having enough experience to work in the field I am trained. That combined with coming off as "odd" or "off" in interviews made getting a job difficult.

There is hope. Eventually I found work as an entry level tech. Currently I am being considered for a higher level position with recommendations from my higher ups.

Thanks, though I have been interviewing for over a year and half now.

It just sucks currently that most internships and entry level jobs require the 3-5 of industry work experience. That part is killing me and many others (NTs from my graduating class this summer).

pj4990
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2014, 1:45 am

I am working but hit a few problems getting there:

I think I've got undiagnosed ADD as I had serious difficulty concentrating all through university. I would probably have been an outstanding student rather than an average one if I'd got that treated. Now I'm just another 2:1 graduate.
I'm not good at lying and really hate it - if I think a job is boring but I need the money, I won't say that outright, but I have difficulty faking any enthusiasm. I also find it difficult to fake loving teamwork. Fortunately I've had "special interests" (I hate that phrase, is there a better one?) which involve teamworking or I would have been screwed.
I find it very hard to work out social norms including what are normal interview questions, so I come unprepared for things the interviewer thought everyone should know to prepare for. I then sometimes panic and say silly things.
Anything which involves working weekends is a massive no as that basically means I can't do my "special interests" (someone please give me a better phrase) and basically have no reason to live.
(not autism related)
I graduated in 2008. There were no jobs in 2008. By the time there were jobs, I had an employment gap to explain to people who wanted a fresh graduate.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 1:55 am

I think I'm not working because I'm mentally unstable. I'm diagnosed with HFA, GAD/SAD, and depression. I had a really good job, but burned my bridges with my erratic behaviour. At the time I was not being treated and had not been diagnosed, so today I might be more successful. But I am finding that it is very hard to get back into the work force once you have been on social services. You have to explain the gap in employment history. I have an appointment at the beginning of January with Community Mental Health Services for a job search workshop and possible placement. I'm hoping that leads to an opportunity.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 10:34 am

A thought came to me:

I know you don't like dishonesty--but is it possible you could say you were taking care of your sick mother to account for those "gaps?"

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 10:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
A thought came to me:

I know you don't like dishonesty--but is it possible you could say you were taking care of your sick mother to account for those "gaps?"

Yes, but that still leaves my mental instability. Which I am working on. I'm going to do whatever they tell me to do at the work placement. If I can get into an environment that I can cope with, my chances of keeping the job are greater.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 11:21 am

My gut feeling is: you're on the right track. And it's not just some motivational impulse.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 3:35 pm

I currently don't have a job, but I will go to a job interview tommorow.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 7:16 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

Best of luck to you :D

Onoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2014, 5:34 am

I was working but my line manager was a bully. She bullied everyone not just me, half the time I stood up to her but the affect on my mental health was more than I realised at the time. I did bring this up with the manager and we even had a meeting about it but they refused to belive she was a problem. Despite the high staff turnover.
In the end I left because it didn't pay enough or give me enough hours to even move out but the bullying certinaly gave me the extra kick in that direction.

I enrolled with a distance learning school and am coming up to the end of my diploma. I used all the money I saved as a deposit for this and it was the hardest thing I ever studied.
Right now I am not in paid work but I work for a chairty. I had to re-train myself in new skills to do my chairty work and I suffered from unexpected painic attacks for over a year because of the bullying from my old job.

I have been unable to secure paid employment because even though I do the job now unpaid there is always someone with 'better' experience than me. Which I think translates to, someone who had a father who knew someone to give them a job so now they have 'experience'. Apparently exprience means other applicants are better than you. But I have seen this is not always the case.

I am lucky because in this time I got married to my partner who works full-time. But we live on the bread line.
I am sad that no matter how much I try I can't prove my 'experience' enough to get a job. I am trying to be happy and see value in myself as a hard working voulenteer and value in myself as a member of my spiritual group. I do all the house work, bills and take various elderly relatives to hopsitals and gardern centres.

Yes I don't have a paid job, no one will give me a chance. All I need is a chance. I also need to be given a break when it comes to those 'tests' at interviews because my learning disablities put me at a big disadvantage but I don't want to dislcose them and give another reason not to hire me. I'm trying to not let the 'lack of job' identify me as a person anymore, but I still want one.

Next year I will try all over again to get job.

Excuse any typos my spell check is jus not wanting to work now I typed this.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 7:05 pm

xenocity wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

Best of luck to you :D

Thanks, but my job interview got bumped to Friday. :)