Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

SashaHunter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Dec 2014, 6:38 am

I have been applying for jobs, and I have applied to several autism centers in my city- generally the title of the position is something like "behavioral therapist." I struggled a lot a child, and I would like to be able to help younger kids so they don't have to struggle as much as I did. I'm reasonably confident I am qualified for the position, but my question is, should I tell them I'm autistic? Would they think that means that I'm better able to understand what autistic kids go through, or would they write me off? What have y'all's experiences been with disclosing your autism, both in jobs in general and specifically to places that work with autism?

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 9:46 am

No experience myself, but for that job, I say go for it. If they know whats right for them, they should be thrilled to get an Aspie on their team since you've overcome a lot and have since succeeded and would be a great help to children going through the same or similar things.

martianunicorn
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Dec 2014, 9:51 am

you can tell them that you are autistic, but also tell them that you are doing well learning more about people and living with your condition. So employers will be happy that you can somehow relate to your clients and also be a dependable employee. They want to know that you will be an asset, and not someone they have to take care of.

and there's also parents. I am a SPED teacher myself, and dealing with the parents are one of the toughest parts of the job. You should always project yourself as a professional to the parents of the child.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 10:45 am

That is a really difficult question.

I would say, in most cases, even for jobs like "behavioral therapist," I wouldn't mention that I have autism at the outset (before you are hired). If it becomes appropriate/applicable/useful later, then I maybe I'd disclose.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 1:13 pm

That can be a double-edge sometimes. On one hand, it'll let them know that you'll have difficulties with some tasks, but be of tremendous help in others. On the other, there's no telling if your boss may be inclined to the stigma of the condition. Do some "social research," i guess you could call it, trying to find out what kind of history some people have with those who have neurological issues like us. But by all means, make sure they know well before you have a meltdown or something and they don't know what to do, or are just as terrified. I got lucky with my current job because one of the managers did happen to work with an autistic some years before I started. So far, it's been alright, and they for the most part know that there are some tasks I am simply unable to do.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 6:22 pm

You're pretty lucky.

It's really quite rare for most employers to have had contact with autistic people--and to even know very much about autism.

This might change over the coming years--but this is the reality in 2014.

I-am-an-Aspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2014, 8:33 pm

In your shoes, I would absolutely totally not disclose you have autism. If it's anything like the times I have disclosed (or the cat has been let out of the bag for me), people are cliquish and clannish enough about anything they feel is outside norms that it'll leave you open to discrimination.

bacun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2014, 7:44 am

I can understand how you think it may be helpful to list it but I assure you it is not .

As a employer they will view your diagnosis as a huge liability.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2014, 9:48 am

No. Interviews and applications are not the place to disclose.

I assume you have the educational background and training to be certified as a behavioral therapist, if not, do not apply until you have a degree to back you up.

Emphasize that you can relate with the people you are trying to help, and can work with them on their communication type, form. No need to say that this is because you are also in the spectrum.

pj4990
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2014, 3:33 pm

I'm not sure how it works outside the UK but here some places will offer guaranteed interviews to disabled people (including ASD) provided you meet the basic requirements. Personally I think people with first hand experience are far more useful than those without but sadly that view is taking a while to get accepted so I have no idea if it would help.

Once you get the job, I would recommend disclosing ASAP. Have you ever worked before? The main difference between work and education seems to be in education all that matters is if you can do the work so I got the impression I would never have to disclose it, then I found out that in work you get marked for how much you act like a good little neurotypical. Aspies who don't disclose (sometimes because they don't actually know it themselves) get dropped in a world of disciplinary and poor performance crap, ones who do get a lot more support and protection.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 5:52 pm

I am going to have to say that pj4990 captured my feelings on this one. I had a job where I thought I was totally doing the right thing, but I wasn't. Got called names like "weird" and had frenemies. Got told I performed poorly. Now, I get a lot more understanding and support. I kept things positive. And I did the disclosure right after the interview. I made sure to sound self aware, to mention that supports would not be unduly hard, and to mention that there were several awesome traits of Aspies.

Tina

pj4990 wrote:
I'm not sure how it works outside the UK but here some places will offer guaranteed interviews to disabled people (including ASD) provided you meet the basic requirements. Personally I think people with first hand experience are far more useful than those without but sadly that view is taking a while to get accepted so I have no idea if it would help.

Once you get the job, I would recommend disclosing ASAP. Have you ever worked before? The main difference between work and education seems to be in education all that matters is if you can do the work so I got the impression I would never have to disclose it, then I found out that in work you get marked for how much you act like a good little neurotypical. Aspies who don't disclose (sometimes because they don't actually know it themselves) get dropped in a world of disciplinary and poor performance crap, ones who do get a lot more support and protection.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 7:09 pm

In the US, there's real risk involved in disclosing you have any "psychological disorder." Many people believe autism is a "psychological disorder." Knowledge about autism here is pretty much in the dark ages. People begin to think you might "go postal," or do a Adam Lanza. I've encountered this sort of thinking.

Maybe working at an autism center might produce people who are better informed--but there is the tendency for people at these centers to consider the autistic people their "clients." They don't want anybody working with them who could be a "client."

I would hold off on disclosing until you prove pretty indispensable in the job. In the US, it's easy to fire someone because of the doctrine of "employment at will." This means, absent a union contract, one could be fired for virtually nothing.