Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 5:07 am

How come unemployed people who 'don't want' to work are given a really hard time by other people?

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 7:07 am

Because quite a few people with jobs don't want to work either but still do out of obligation and the need to earn a living.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 7:28 am

Some people think society should give them a living

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 9:02 am

1) Bone Idle
2) afraid of being bullied by bosses or colleagues.
3) Afraid of being taken for granted which decreases motivation leading to reason 1
4) the Tesla effect. Hard work and effort and nothing to show for it or not rewarding even if one applies oneself.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2015, 9:07 am

The main reason to want to work for me is earn a living and having to do something. From time to time it is good to have holidays or vacation, but that is nice for one or two weeks (no, don't think of Total Recall, haha!!) but the summer vacation is 6 weeks and way too long for me. Then I really want to work again and see my colleagues again.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 9:11 am

Jamesy wrote:
How come unemployed people who 'don't want' to work are given a really hard time by other people?
Because those who can work to support themselves and don't - instead relying on handouts from others - are parasites. No one loves a parasite.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mrs catlady
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2015, 9:21 am

To be honest I only go to work for a bit of peace. The money is nice and I certainly get to meet alot of crazy neurotypical people which is good because it puts my own peculiarities right into perspective...whether you have spent 23 years in nursing you realise that there really is no such thing as a normal person. If I was made redundant I would volunteer at the local charity shop because I need the routone and structure work brings and would probably be even more difficult to live with without it. There are plenty of neurotypical people who have never had a job in their lives. Its a lifestyle I have never understood but each to their own.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 9:53 am

If you don't work, how would you contribute to society?

You are a person. You are part of the human race. You are an adult. You must contribute something--otherwise, you won't be respected by others.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 10:09 am

The sign over the death camp gate said (not German speaker) "Work will make you free" when it "should" have said "we will kill you"; I remember asking "what are those numbers on those people's arms" when I was a child.

Regardless, the idea of work "making you free" is close to the truth. If you are capable, and can bring all your effort to bear on the issue and possibly gain a measure of independence through self sufficiency, you'll thank yourself later.

This may not be evident to many at this stage of their lives. But, essentially, it broadens your areas of personal choice in your future life, in exchange for this huge effort.

If you are not interested in personal independence, choice and change please ignore the above.

On the other hand, if personal independence appeals to you, then speak with other "successfully" independent aspies here for clarification and instruction. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 10:59 am

I've known a few concentration-camp survivors.

One of them REALLY liked to show me his wounds.

We must not forget the Holocaust--though we must not obsess over it, either.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 23 Feb 2015, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Feb 2015, 11:00 am

Most people have jobs that they don't enjoy doing. There are very few people lucky enough to have a job that's actually fun.

Mrs catlady
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2015, 11:11 am

Alain deBoiton wrote a book about the joys and sorrows of work. Well worth a look.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 12:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've known a few concentration-camp survivors.

One of them REALLY liked to show me his wounds.

We must not forget the Holocaust--though we must not obsess over it, either.

Unnecessary comment? :D

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 12:32 pm

alex wrote:
Most people have jobs that they don't enjoy doing. There are very few people lucky enough to have a job that's actually fun.

Very true. But when considering your personal working issues it's good to reflect on the poorer alternatives, which may give you a more cheerful perspective of your present situation. It's all in how you approach it.

And since "fun" resides within yourself there's no reason you can't make it more (internally) interesting, challenging or self-rewarding by setting internal goals and challenges for yourself. Nothing's perfect, but if we seek enjoyment within our lives, we'll find it (and find sadness if this is what we seek). At least we didn't have to walk under that sign I mentioned earlier.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 12:44 pm

I miss my job. It was so engaging and it really played to my strengths. Unfortunately, last year I began to lose the ability to work and to save my job (because my FMLA had expired and I was having so many tardies, absences, times where I left early because I was having new troubles with motivation and concentration), my therapist recommended I go on a leave of absence under the Associate's Own Illness Leave Policy, which had a 6 month limit. Unfortunately, I still continued to worsen and my self-care has been going to crap, so that 6 month limit expired and now I don't have that job to go back to anymore.

I worked there for nearly 5 years before going on leave and I will miss it. I'm stuck on SSDI and Long-Term Disability now and even with that I struggle to make ends meet each month, mainly because I had huge periods where I didn't work or work very much last year (which caused my credit card debt to go to near the limit) and the pay I get now is so much less than when I had the job.

Not having anything to do all day really sucks, but I have pretty much no drive to do anything now.

My therapist says I'm having problems with depression while my psychiatrist says that I have schizotypal disorder that has worsened over the past year. I was psychotic when I was 14 and had to spend 6 months in the hospital; my psychiatrist warns I may be on the path to repeat that.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 12:48 pm

I never loved my work - instead, all things I love to do can barely give any money even if done professionally. Kinda volunteering of some sort. I wish I have enough money to be able to spend all my time for it.