mel113
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2015, 4:35 pm

OK let me elaborate on "trouble at work":
-Always pissing customers off
-bullies at work
-going nowhere

I work at a Petsmart and I am the one who sells the animals and takes care of the animals. Everyone in my department is bound to piss at least one customer off per week because we refuse to sell animals to bad homes (people who won't properly take care of their animals), but I feel like I piss more people off because I won't even sell a feeder fish to someone keeping it as a pet in a very inadequate home (5 gallons and under). There are a few (not too many any more) girls who hate me and enjoy talking s**t, trying to convince new employees not to like me, and sabotaging me by undoing something I had done or destroying anything that notices my hard work (cards that say "thanks for doing _" kinda stuff or writing on the whiteboard saying "awesome job for selling this stuff!")
And I can't even get a raise! I've been at this particular place for 3 years and have only gotten one raise, and they SKIPED my chance to earn a raise last year ( I got my one year evaluation on my two year mark and have never received my two year evaluation but my three year evaluation is coming up) and I was told(by the store manager) that I had a chance to get promoted but that chance apparently never existed.

Could this all be me or do I just work at a really bad store??

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 4:46 pm

As far as I know many or most Aspies suffer from some form of bullying or petty behaviours at work, BUT retail is usually the worst for abusing their employees.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 1:53 pm

There was a recent study that said about 95% of all autistic people have been the victims of bullying, manipulation and exploitation. So yeah, you're being discriminated against and harassed. This kind of thing happens to minority classes, which is what you are if you're on the autism spectrum.

But keep in mind that no one would ever get a raise if the company had it's way. NTs are good at playing social games with other NTs, so it's easier for them to negotiate a raise or promotion. You can go to your superiors, ask for something, then justify why it would be good for the company to give it to you.

LillyDale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2015, 11:35 pm

Maybe a little of everything?
Some coworkers can just be awful people. Not all workplaces are like that but some can allow lousy behavior.
Retail is notoriously hard on people. Employers are not always the best. Customers can be a real challenge.

ElsaFlowers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2015, 3:20 am

It sounds really nasty how these coworkers are treating you. In answer to your question I would say no, I don't think think this is you. Some people are just plain nasty and probably see you as an easy target to vent their nastiness. I've encountered a lot of these type of people in the workplace as they are all too common unfortunately. Sorry you're having to go through this but well done for sticking it out for 3 years and doing the right thing by not selling animals to bad homes. You are a stronger character than me as I wouldn't be able to tolerate working with these people for very long. Be proud of yourself for this :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 7:04 pm

You sound like a good worker. They could just be nasty people and they probably sense something is different about you so they are picking on you. I would say it sounds like a bad store. From what I understand, autistic people are more vulnerable to abuse and an easier target for workplace bullying. This can happen to NTs too but it's more common in people on the spectrum. It even astounds me how immature adults can be. I thought we were all done with this after we get out of high school. Just remember, some people take longer to grow up. :wink:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.