Would it be narcissistic to study Autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2015, 2:45 pm

I am a sixteen-year old Aspie girl. I find myself drawn to Autism, mental disorders and their popular perception, causes, and characteristics by other factors, (age, sex, etc). I am interested in determining the many manifestations of core symptoms and myths vs reality.

There is a problem, and yet another. One, I am almost certainly biased. Two, of all the scientific careers I could endeavor on, Autism is right underneath my nose, as though I need to be personally involved in something to be intellectually interested in it.

Blech.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 3:50 pm

Why would that be narcissistic? It's not like you're going to only study yourself. Your research could benefit all people with autism and everyone affected by it. There are people here on WrongPlanet who do important work in treatment and advocacy for other like them, after having studied autism from a medical or legal point of view, and I don't consider them the least bit narcissistic.

KaylamiYarne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 May 2015, 4:00 pm

Is Temple Grandin narcissistic? Not only has she studied autism probably more than all of us on this board put together, but she's written books on the subject. And she has inspired so many and improved the lives of many.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 6:38 pm

I think this would be great, as being autistic yourself you have a far greater understanding, than those who don't.

Sino
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 May 2015, 7:56 am

Hans Asperger likely had AS himself, and it was the subject of much of his pediatric research into mental disorders. (The syndrome was named after Asperger posthumously.)

You may regard it as narcissism, but I'd say that would only be the case if you were going into autism research out of a sense of vanity.

albmsr
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2015, 10:44 pm

That would be a very thing interesting to do. Imagine if those researchers and doctors specialized in austism actually had autism. They would REALLY understand the condition that affects us because they would feel it, instead of just learning about it from others. You could have a bright career in this.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 10:48 pm

far from narcissistic, i think it would be natural.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 8:06 am

I study critical autism theory, not because I'm autistic, but because most of the people I know and love are! Study whatever you find interesting! Trust me, it will only be your fundamental interest motivating you to keep going and doing great things!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 9:14 pm

I don't see why not. Many people think of we Aspies as narcissistic, especially after Newtown. With your research, you could change the perspectives of people about we Aspies.