New Job Initiative from Autism Speaks

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

alex
Developer
Developer

12 May 2015, 1:47 pm

I was recently informed about the fact that Autism Speaks has created a new employment initiative.

What are your thoughts. Good sign they're doing this?

Here's the link: http://www.thespectrumcareers.com

Quote:
Autism Speaks and Rangam Consultants Inc. have partnered to create a new website called TheSpectrumCareers<http://www.thespectrumcareers.com/> , and the mission is to connect employers with employable individuals with autism and other disabilities. It will function like Monster.com or CareerBuilder.com, but it is designed specifically for jobseekers with ASDs and other disabilities.

Our top and most immediate priority is populating the site with as many job opportunities as possible. The site launched on April 30th. Businesses interested in posting open positions can do that at no cost immediately through a "side door" here<http://hiring.thespectrumcareers.com/>. Job seekers with autism spectrum disorders can register for free and access the full site.

Just as an FYI, Autism Speaks is using the site to post our own positions (in addition to the avenues we currently use). Also, it's free for all users! And lastly, it was developed by a young man with autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 1:53 pm

I believe any initiative which aids people on the Spectrum in obtaining employment is an excellent thing.

alex
Developer
Developer

12 May 2015, 1:55 pm

Here's a video

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 2:02 pm

Their success will depend on whether real companies post real work positions, and whether they hire and successfully retain autistic people in their employment. I don't think it's possible to judge it until I see some initial numbers. For example they started a Native Canadians job bureau here but it hasn't significantly altered the employment opportunities of Native Canadians, despite its good intentions.

alex
Developer
Developer

12 May 2015, 2:10 pm

There are now a lot of companies looking to hire individuals on the spectrum so I don't think it'd be too hard to get autistics jobs.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 3:05 pm

As I mentioned in another thread this initiative and the resignation of Bob Wright as CEO MIGHT be an indication they are being persuaded/forced to change some of their negative ways.

As I said on that thread and as others have said. Don't Trust and Verify.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 3:46 pm

This is a good initiative. I will say S$ does a few good things, but not enough to get me to start patronizing their sponsors.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 5:40 pm

MollyTroubletail wrote:
Their success will depend on whether real companies post real work positions, and whether they hire and successfully retain autistic people in their employment. I don't think it's possible to judge it until I see some initial numbers. For example they started a Native Canadians job bureau here but it hasn't significantly altered the employment opportunities of Native Canadians, despite its good intentions.

Real companies regularly post "fake" jobs on most career sites, which are essentially unpaid internships that replace actual paid full time posts in the company.
Some do make them paid internships, but in the end you are still doing the work of a formally real position and not being on payroll with benefits.

This is illegal under U.S. law and regulation.
Those if you do sue regardless if you win, you will be blacklisted by most employers and probably spend your life as unemployed or underemployed (it has happened to all those who have sued).

Does anyone use careerbuilder.com and/or monster.com?

Linkedin, Indeed.com and others pull postings from all the jobs sites and post them on their sites.

I might check this out, since I still haven't landed employment since graduation in July.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 8:22 am

Sounds like a promising idea to me. I look forward to seeing how it works out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 9:15 am

alex wrote:
There are now a lot of companies looking to hire individuals on the spectrum so I don't think it'd be too hard to get autistics jobs.
There is only 1 company within 30 miles of my home (Anaheim) that is hiring, and they're looking for an "Executive Director".

Sure, there are jobs listed, but how many Aspies will have the necessary qualifications, and how many jobs are within an hour's commute or less?

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 10:56 am

0 results within 100 miles of my ZIP code, a radius which includes Boston, Massachusetts.

I don't really see an innovation to make it easier for us to sell our lives an hour at a time as progress.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 3:00 pm

seems like they playing to the stereotype of aspies being some gifted worker so you work around their lack of social skills to use their talent. but I doubt most aspies have such a talent. but doesn't stop people from thinking we'll all IT people or artists or musicians. while most autistics probably never go to college. people always seem to be amazed I managed to.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 3:28 pm

Take a look at California-the most populous state: 2 positions available, both Autism Speaks Exec Directors (1 in LA, 1 in NorCal). Fat chance they'll actually hire an autistic person for that.

There are currently very few jobs listed. In the 10 most populous states, there are a total of 13 jobs listed. Six are with autism speaks, one is with Autism Science Foundation, and three are for behavioral analysts. That leaves a total of three in the 10 most populous states that are potentially not with autism organizations.

I'm not trying to be negative about this. Maybe that's because it's in its infancy. I'd say fair enough, but if that's the case, they're should be no spiking the ball at the opposing team's 20 yard line or patting themselves on the back as if they actually accomplished something.

Update: I've looked through all states and DC. There's a total of 12 jobs with Autism Speaks, 1 with Autism Science Foundation, 3 Board Certified Behavioral Analyst jobs (provide ABA thrapy), and 10 other jobs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 6:22 pm

So it would seem that Autism Speaks may only be looking to score points for good intentions, and not for actually providing an employment service for people with autism.

Then again, this 'service' is still in its infancy. Only time will tell if it actually provides gainful employment for people with autism, or if it only serves to advertise jobs at Autism Speaks for neurotypicals.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 12:45 pm

In addition, do the people who post the jobs expect the applicants to emulate an NT?

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2015, 4:38 pm

While I understand being skeptical of anything associated with Autism Speaks, obviously it'ls not going to have many jobs yet if they just started the darn thing. (But they should have this kind of press release at the start of it--companies aren'lt going to add jobs if they keep it a secret!)