Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

oldandscared
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jun 2015, 11:43 am

I have run into a brick wall and was hoping that someone out there has had the same situation and could offer some advice.

Im 58 and have worked in IT off and on like most on the spectrum for the past 10 years. Most jobs didnt last for one reason or another. I've been unemployed for over 2 years, have extreme anxiety and depression and basically suck at any customer facing jobs. I do well with people on the phone however. The problem is right now my wife and I are living out of our car and seems like every job I apply for that I think wont stress me out the employer thinks I am overqualified for or dont have experience. I also have arthritis that is getting pretty bad that prevents me from standing on my feet too long at one time.

What would be perfect for me is some sort of office job at a desk where people interaction is a minimum. Most of my successful job have been this type of work. I am considering applying fro disability but that takes several years I have heard. I am just trying to find a job in the mean time. I guess I am asking how do you dumb down your resume enough so someone will take notice. BTW, we are in an area that is mostly service sector jobs.

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2015, 1:44 pm

This may be counterintuitive, but at least at the interview stage, the social component is a higher hurdle for office jobs than it is for consumer facing jobs. (Note: consumer facing and customer facing aren't the same in this case)
Think about why; the person interviewing you is wondering "can I spend more time with you than I spend with my wife, possibly for the next decade, without going mad?"
So if you want an office job, I would suggest to work on impression management and get the behavioral interview down like you invented it. Tailor your resume to play to how your strengths will be an asset in that job, especially an asset that they know they are in short supply of. (Note: if they don't know they're in short supply, don't try to educate them) Keep in mind that the interviewer is mostly looking at nonverbal cues. The more your nonverbals seem to fit their office culture, the better your chance at getting the job.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:02 pm

What's the difference between consumer facing and customer facing?

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2016, 3:20 am

oldandscared wrote:

Im 58 and have worked in IT off and on like most on the spectrum for the past 10 years. .

What kind of IT? Programming or something else?

If you do well in a quiet office space, I suppose you could try IT support and things like that - it's either through email or the phone. Problem is, most of these jobs have been outsourced. But I suppose they are still there. You could also try telemarketing and data entry.

Good luck.