Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

invisibleboy
Raven
Raven

30 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm

I just interviewed at a restaurant and I can't tell if it went well. The interviewer asked me if I was interested in management, which must be a good sign, but I generally felt very awkward at the interview. There was a bit of joking but I felt a gap between myself and the woman. Like neither of us could decide whether to be super serious or light.

I talked a bit about my business, I opened my own business in January and hope to own a store one day (physical location, I already sell online) but I'm not doing great, I have a very creative mind when it comes to the product, but I'm not interested in the business side of it very much. (I omitted that fact at the interview.) My business is doing decently for its first 6 months, overhead is,low since it's just me, but I'm not really turning much of a profit and sales come in fits and starts. I recently tabled at an lgbt pride event and made $100 but most of my sales are in person like that and I don't have a lot of opportunity.

That's why I'm looking for a job. I have the opportunity to apply to be a music director for a play at my alma mater that I've been a part of for the past 3 years, and a really good chance at it too, seeing as I originated the role last year for free, and this year they're paying. That interview may also be hard but at least I have past experience on my side and the coordinator knows me and also knows I have aspergers... Unless that's a bad thing.

I'm on disability right now so I won't be homeless, but it's hard to make ends meet and I have no money to pursue my interests. I also had to pass up some medical care because I couldn't afford the transportation. I can't drive, and public transit adds up.

everybody's playing the game
but nobody's rules are the same
nobody's on nobody's side

invisibleboy
Raven
Raven

01 Jul 2015, 5:37 pm

Apparently I passed the screening interview, which is good because I was very anxious which made it hard to overcome the flat affect I'm always compensating for. I slip into it when I'm really nervous. But I passed, because the head manager e-mailed me to offer me a second interview. I'm not sure why he e-mailed instead of calling, but it works for me - I'd much prefer to answer an e-mail than deal with trying to talk on the phone.

I just need to find two reference letters by Monday... it's hard to do that when I haven't worked in 7 years. I'll try some of my university professors, but I haven't even really talked to them for a while. The most recent thing I did was treatment for an eating disorder, and I definitely can't get references from the doctors there. I don't want to disclose any mental health problems at the interview, that would probably lose me the job.

keerawa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2015, 8:52 pm

That's smart - don't disclose anything in an interview. How about your landlord? They might make a decent reference.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:54 pm

I bet your professors would give a reference if you told them the circumstances. I'd ask more than two in case you can't reach some of them. A lot of them go on vacation during the Summer.

invisibleboy
Raven
Raven

10 Jul 2015, 7:35 am

I got the job. :) it's working at a McDonalds, but it's a corporate store and there's room for advancement.

I have another interview for the music director of a play, too. That's in an hour.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 9:51 am

invisibleboy wrote:
I got the job. :) it's working at a McDonalds, but it's a corporate store and there's room for advancement.

I have another interview for the music director of a play, too. That's in an hour.

Oh, that's WONDERFUL news----especially, about the "room for advancement" part!!

Let us know how the Director interview, goes.....

I'm currently on pins and needles about a position that I applied for, and got an email saying that I qualified, and was being considered----so, I know how anxious, you were feeling.....

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 11:17 am

My nephew worked at McDonald's as his first job and stayed there for some time, then went directly into his "career" jobs. From what he said, it sounds like McDonald's isn't too bad a place to work. Pretty organized and fair, really good experience.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 10:53 am

And I compliment you on your business, too. :D And I recommend keeping it low-overhead until you are just bursting at the proverbial seams! What I have read about entrepreneurship tends to say that it's the fixed expenses of rent, utilities, insurance, payroll, etc., which often end up eating new businesses alive. So, keep running it out of your home until you're pretty sure you have the sales to support all this.