Approaching People about Participating in Study

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 9:58 am

I've been having a bit of a problem recruiting participants for my study (Autism Disclosure in the Workplace) when I don't know them very well and I come upon them in person at their jobs. For example, there's a cashier at a store I frequent who has great ideas and I would LOVE to get his input. It's hard for me to talk to him alone because the store is busy, and besides that, I'm a stranger so there's no reason for him to feel at ease with me. I'm certain that he's an aspie but I cannot ask him that. It would be like asking someone if they're Mexican. It's none of my business.

I've started several conversations with him about my study and asked him what he thinks I should do about this or that. The first time I asked if I could put fliers up in his store. I knew I couldn't but I wanted an excuse to talk to him. I couldn't say "I see that you are displaying characteristics associated with the autism spectrum, so I would like to talk to you about it." He offered some suggestions that were thoughtful and useful. Today I brought it up again and then told him I would have some fliers printed out soon in case he knows anyone who might be interested, then they could look up the website and all. He was quiet, which I have noticed seems to mean he's thinking. He doesn't remember to say goodbye so I just said goodbye and left.

My plans are to hand him a few fliers when I get the go ahead from my university (hopefully this week) and to say, "You can tell anyone you give these to that it is completely anonymous, and they can read as much about it as they want before they answer anything." Then he could look it up if he wants and if he knows anyone else that would like to participate he might tell them about it too.

My question: Is this appropriate on my part? There are a few more people that I know on an acquaintance level, like this guy, who I would like to hand fliers to. Some I would like to talk to in the same manner as him, but there are others who I think dislike abrupt social interactions so I was just going to hand them a flier. If there is a better way to go about all this, I would love to hear suggestions. And if I'm being manipulative instead of considerate of people's privacy, just tell me.

Thanks in advance.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 11:20 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
I've been having a bit of a problem recruiting participants for my study (Autism Disclosure in the Workplace) when I don't know them very well and I come upon them in person at their jobs. For example, there's a cashier at a store I frequent who has great ideas and I would LOVE to get his input. It's hard for me to talk to him alone because the store is busy, and besides that, I'm a stranger so there's no reason for him to feel at ease with me. I'm certain that he's an aspie but I cannot ask him that.
My question: Is this appropriate on my part? There are a few more people that I know on an acquaintance level, like this guy, who I would like to hand fliers to. Some I would like to talk to in the same manner as him, but there are others who I think dislike abrupt social interactions so I was just going to hand them a flier. If there is a better way to go about all this, I would love to hear suggestions. And if I'm being manipulative instead of considerate of people's privacy, just tell me.

I think it's a bit odd that you are approaching people you barely know (you describe yourself as "a stranger") and trying to recruit them for an Autism study. But that's just me.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 11:24 am

Rocket123 wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
I've been having a bit of a problem recruiting participants for my study (Autism Disclosure in the Workplace) when I don't know them very well and I come upon them in person at their jobs. For example, there's a cashier at a store I frequent who has great ideas and I would LOVE to get his input. It's hard for me to talk to him alone because the store is busy, and besides that, I'm a stranger so there's no reason for him to feel at ease with me. I'm certain that he's an aspie but I cannot ask him that.

I think it's a bit odd that you are approaching people you barely know (you describe yourself as "a stranger") and trying to recruit them for an Autism study. But that's just me.

It is. I'm trying to find a way to make it less odd.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 11:30 am

Why don't you go to a meetup or other local ASD event, which is frequented by people on the Spectrum. Then you can ask to make an announcement about your your study. You could also hand out fliers.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2015, 11:34 am

Rocket123 wrote:
Why don't you go to a meetup or other local ASD event, which is frequented by people on the Spectrum. Then you can ask to make an announcement about your your study. You could also hand out fliers.

That's a really good idea.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jul 2015, 8:03 pm

Yea I don't think asking people on a hunch is a good idea but I can understand why you would want to if you think he would be a good candidate.
Good luck

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jul 2015, 8:20 pm

Anyways I'm a little hesitant because I don't always like talking about this stuff but I will help you with your survey.
I'm diagnosed with Aspergers have been working for the past two years.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 9:47 pm

You could ask the guy if he's heard of Temple Grandin.

If he has, you'll probably have an easier time talking to him about Aspergers/Autism.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 11:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

That is a brilliant suggestion.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 12:09 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

That is a brilliant suggestion.

That is indeed a brilliant suggestion. I'll try that.

Yeah I know this is an uncomfortable thing to do for all parties involved. You kind of have to dig around for participants for this kind of thing. Most autism research is targeted toward children and when adults are asked anything it's usually for ways to benefit children. I'm asking people for their wisdom and opinions so that I can present them in an academic forum to ultimately benefit adults on the autism spectrum. It's hard to get that across to people in a 5 second in-person encounter. It sounds weird no matter how you present it.

I'm hoping the few people I talk to about it like this will forgive me for doing it. They are all people who have spoken to me before and said things that would come off weird if you take it out of the autism universe, such having monologues about milk products or asking me what I think about dreamcatchers.

FullMetalAspie I have added you to my list! I'll get back with you, hopefully soon, with a link to the study!

KateCoco
Raven
Raven

16 Jul 2015, 1:51 pm

I'd also be happy to participate - been working since I left school 16 years ago.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 2:43 pm

KateCoco wrote:
I'd also be happy to participate - been working since I left school 16 years ago.

Awesome! Thank you! You're added to the list!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 5:01 pm

I'd like to participate too. I still don't have a job, thanks to unsupportive family, but I plan on contacting a temporary employment agency that specialize with people who experience barriers in the workplace.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 6:11 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I'd like to participate too. I still don't have a job, thanks to unsupportive family, but I plan on contacting a temporary employment agency that specialize with people who experience barriers in the workplace.

Have you ever had a job, an internship, or a volunteer position? If not, my plans are to leave the study open for a couple of months, so there would still be time.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 8:44 am

The study is open!

https://autatwork.wordpress.com/

I can continue to answer questions here, via direct message, or via the contact information provided on the wordpress.

Thank you to everyone who has helped so far and will help in the future!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 8:52 am

Such a distinguished name you have!