Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2015, 9:54 am

I was first bitten on the job three weeks ago, I didn't see the bug but looking at the bites you could tell what they are. I work in a Call Center where we've been dealing with this for the entire summer. We have been telling management and even bringing the bugs we caught to them but they refused to do anything about it till we called OSHA.

Then they finally started to send us to their doctor once we got bit and sent home.

The last time I was at work I got bit again and didn't want to say anything as one of the girls got fired for complaining and going to our employers doctor as her did not fully clear her seeing her bites were numerous and could get infected and she got fired and it was not considered excused.

So than I saw a bed bug crawling, I couldn't move but I was able to raise my phone and take a picture. I showed it to my supervisor she told me to move to another cubical and I tried not to make a big deal and be quiet about it. I was literally frozen for 15 minutes and couldn't move standing.

All of a sudden I ask Team Lead where the manager was, she tells me she is in an interview. I was beyond upset and couldn't speak in sentences as I was upset. I went to management and they treated me as if I was infected which I was and had to go through a walk of shame it seems.

I got new clothes and sent back to their doctor.

Our HR after we ALL called OSHA and tried to make a report and they found out came on our call center floor and blasted us for going there and how this situation is, "our fault"....

I really wish I could quit my job

Ilovesnails
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2015, 12:28 pm

Ugh, what a terrible situation! Unpleasant enough having to work in a place that is infested and also getting bitten but being treated poorly because you and others reported the issue? I try to think on the bright? side of these kinds of situations with jobs. At least you know now if you didn't before what utterly horrible management and the company is. Their HR team sounds like real winners too. You know that the company is not one to stay at. Now you can slowly try to find another job (if you choose to do so) and get out of that terrible environment.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 1:43 pm

I hope you won't accidentally carry the bed bugs into your home.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2015, 8:04 am

Unfortunately I was raised in a really gross home where I had no control over anything but my room.

For bed bugs, this probably happened because they have carpet. And maybe cloth-backed cubes? I can't see how else the bed bugs could travel from person to person. To get rid of them, your workplace has to tear up the rugs and get rid of the cubes, and then I think fumigate. But definitely get rid of ALL cloth objects. They probably won't.

If you can't quit and they won't do anything this is what you can do to drastically minimize your risk of taking them back to your place.

Have a couple sets of clothes, including shoes, that you wear ONLY at work. Change in the bathroom right before you go in and out of the building. DO NOT go in your car with the clothes worn at work. Keep your hair up, if it's long. I recommend a bun. Keep the clothes for work in a plastic bag and keep that bag in a plastic bin, in the trunk of your car.

Take a hot shower and wash your hair daily, as soon as you get home. It helps to have a non-carpeted floor at home and to wash all cloth objects, like bedclothes and slipcovers for furniture, frequently. Say, once a week. Maybe twice a week for sheets if you have a machine in your house or apartment building. If you do have carpet, vacuum every day. What you're looking for is a single bug or an egg that caught on you at work. Just one could cause trouble. These measures will probably catch a single bug or egg.

You actually can stay bug free yourself if you're vigilant, but it will require a lot of effort. There are certain kinds of bugs that I can't look at, even on TV, or I have nightmares for days. It's just no way to live. You should try to find a new job. I'm sorry this happened to you, and the other workers. Your employers are jerks.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 2:42 am

I agree with SocOfAutism, you really REALLY don't want to accidentally bring home bedbugs. They are a massive (and expensive) pain to get rid of once you get them in the house, plus having a house infestation is known to drive people into misery, depression, and even suicide.

Hopefully there will be a way for you to get out of there eventually. That place sounds horrible. :(

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 1:51 am

You didn't do anything wrong. The problem is management and they are upset for the same reason school bullies get upset when they are told on. They did something wrong and are going to get in trouble for it.

Document the bedbug infestation in your office. If they have infested your home and belongings, document that as well, get a lawyer, and see if you can get the company to compensate you for any expenses you have incurred because of these bedbugs. Also, find another place to work. I'm sure there are other call centers in the area.

HisShadowX wrote:
I was first bitten on the job three weeks ago, I didn't see the bug but looking at the bites you could tell what they are. I work in a Call Center where we've been dealing with this for the entire summer. We have been telling management and even bringing the bugs we caught to them but they refused to do anything about it till we called OSHA.

Then they finally started to send us to their doctor once we got bit and sent home.

The last time I was at work I got bit again and didn't want to say anything as one of the girls got fired for complaining and going to our employers doctor as her did not fully clear her seeing her bites were numerous and could get infected and she got fired and it was not considered excused.

So than I saw a bed bug crawling, I couldn't move but I was able to raise my phone and take a picture. I showed it to my supervisor she told me to move to another cubical and I tried not to make a big deal and be quiet about it. I was literally frozen for 15 minutes and couldn't move standing.

All of a sudden I ask Team Lead where the manager was, she tells me she is in an interview. I was beyond upset and couldn't speak in sentences as I was upset. I went to management and they treated me as if I was infected which I was and had to go through a walk of shame it seems.

I got new clothes and sent back to their doctor.

Our HR after we ALL called OSHA and tried to make a report and they found out came on our call center floor and blasted us for going there and how this situation is, "our fault"....

I really wish I could quit my job

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2016, 3:30 am

Update: I got a new job a couple months after this happened. I had a former co worker bring me biohazard bags and put my work shirt in there since they wanted them and and my work id and poured alcohol in there.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2016, 5:18 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
Unfortunately I was raised in a really gross home where I had no control over anything but my room.

I wonder how gross a "really gross home" is. I think the grossness of the one I was brought up in was kept at bay to a great extent by its rural environment. It's funny how increased biodiversity, and hence a richer ecosystem, can make a place less gross. I didn't even have all that much control over "my" room (if you could even call it that), but bugs there were quite well taken care of by spiders. I grew quite fond of the latter. I also find it funny how people who grew up in cities think cockroaches are so nightmarish, as I never developed that reäction.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 11:43 am

Earthling wrote:

I had bed bugs in my last home and I STILL have nightmares about it. You absolutely have to make sure that they don't come home with you!

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 May 2016, 2:53 pm

structrix wrote:
Earthling wrote:

I had bed bugs in my last home and I STILL have nightmares about it. You absolutely have to make sure that they don't come home with you!
We had bedbugs after we moved into our apartment. We were told when we moved in that there were no bugs & we'd have to pay the exterminator fees if we let bugs in. We used a few bedbug bombs when we were leaving to visit my family on Christmas & we put Damascus Earth around the furniture & walls after doing research on it & we haven't had a bedbug problem sense.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2016, 4:04 am

nick007 wrote:
structrix wrote:
Earthling wrote:

We had bedbugs after we moved into our apartment. We were told when we moved in that there were no bugs & we'd have to pay the exterminator fees if we let bugs in. We used a few bedbug bombs when we were leaving to visit my family on Christmas & we put Damascus Earth around the furniture & walls after doing research on it & we haven't had a bedbug problem sense.

As a former Leasing Coordinator I can tell if your landlords property is infested it is their responsibility not yours to clean up the apartment. In fact that's cause for you to take them to court and break their lease

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 7:18 am

HisShadowX wrote:
nick007 wrote:
structrix wrote:
Earthling wrote:

As a former Leasing Coordinator I can tell if your landlords property is infested it is their responsibility not yours to clean up the apartment. In fact that's cause for you to take them to court and break their lease

They made us sign an addendum to the lease before we moved in that if bed bugs entered the property it would be our fault and that WE would have to pay for extermination fees due to bedbugs.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2016, 12:40 pm

structrix wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:
nick007 wrote:
structrix wrote:
Earthling wrote:

They made us sign an addendum to the lease before we moved in that if bed bugs entered the property it would be our fault and that WE would have to pay for extermination fees due to bedbugs.

Yeah don't sign those contracts. That and move in fees are destroying renters rights

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Jun 2016, 2:13 pm

HisShadowX wrote:
nick007 wrote:
structrix wrote:
Earthling wrote:

My girlfriend has a Section 8 housing vulcher & the housing inspector warned us not to bring any bed bugs in.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2016, 2:34 pm

nick007 wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:
nick007 wrote:
structrix wrote:
Earthling wrote:

My girlfriend has a Section 8 housing vulcher & the housing inspector warned us not to bring any bed bugs in.

Most housing Inspectors are 3rd party contractors. Go up to Section 8 let them know the problem your having.