Have any Brits here worked in a Wetherspoons?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

SillyRice
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Apr 2016, 3:47 am

My first job was as a kitchen porter. It was horrible for two reasons. First I struggled with multitasking because I was expected to do desserts, and although they were easy, I used to get overwhelmed with multiple orders. Secondly, I struggled to hear chefs shouting for prep to be fetched from the walk-in fridge with the huge industrial dishwasher next to my head. After a while the staff started to resent me for making their job harder than it should have been and I left.

I eventually got a KP job at a hotel. It was easier. No desserts to plate-up. I started doing prep and was made Commis Chef. Again I struggled with multi-tasking, but the team grew to like me and started playing to my strengths. I basically became a prep monkey, eventually getting promoted to Chef de Partie. I realise looking back how lucky I was to get that far, but I became a functional alcoholic to numb sensory overload from the noise and the heat. I left because I wanted out of the industry.

I wanted basic work, just to pay bills. My savings are gone, and I've had no luck outside of kitchen work. I have an interview coming up for a KP position. I'm now worried the KP job will be more like the first one than the second.

If I do get the job, my questions to anyone who has worked at Wetherspoons are:

1. Do KP's have to constantly fetch and carry stock for the cooks?
2. Are KP's expected to do desserts/ starters on top of their normal duties?

Thanks in advance.