The "Open Space" office trend; or, "Our house is on fire!"

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

George9
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2018, 9:08 pm

I have been talking with others at work about this lately and NOBODY seems to like the open cubicles, even NTs. Apparently upper management thinks people are less likely to goof off if they are being watched. Of course it has the opposite affect as it makes most of us less efficient. Of course it is worst fro people like myself.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 11:27 am

Ever notice that upper management always has offices with doors.

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2018, 12:33 pm

BTDT - and lower management has best places in openspace somewhere on the edge in the corner. I didn't see any team leader who would have a work place in the middle of openspace.

I don't like noise in openspace. I have my headphones all day. But for me is worst to have next to my place some very popular and communicative person. Always someone visit him, walks around me, they make noise, stand behind me. In our building are meeting rooms, kitchenette. I don't know, why they can't move there. Often I have to go somewhere, where I can be alone and wait until they get out there. Now my boss promised me to move me somewhere in the corner.

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2018, 10:58 pm

the_mad_man wrote:
I don't post here very often, but I have a topic of great importance to discuss.

I have been working for nearly a decade as a professional software developer. I know that I'm in a field with many other Aspies, and I have seen posts about this problem before.

Friends, to put it dramatically, our house is on fire! We are rapidly becoming unemployable in the modern office workspace.

At the moment, I am unemployed because a contract ran out. To blow my own horn, I am very talented at what I do and deliver outstanding value for my employers and clients, but nearly everywhere I go, I see companies transitioning to "open office" spaces. These are equivalently called "bullpens", "team rooms", "hackerspaces", "makerspaces", or anything "collaborative".

I don't need to repeat how sensitive we Aspies are to our environment. We value our privacy and we are quick to retreat from noise and any other noxious stimuli. However, NTs think that it's weird, and even if they don't think it's weird, they cannot, or will not understand how it affects us.

Honestly, I feel sick just imagining being in one of these awful places for eight hours a day. I've been to interviews where the company work environment is literally a long table with rows of chairs. I have been told that some of the most desirable companies to work for use this setup because they believe that it leads to "collaboration".

Let me be clear, I have no qualm with working "collaboratively". What I have a problem with is being forced to sit at a desk on an "island" or a workbench where I'm constantly haunted by the people stepping around me, where I am forced to listen to every little detail of Sue's cellphone conversation with her long-distance boyfriend, where I can't get out of line-of-sight of ping-pong players. I am unemployable in such an environment.

Most of us are unemployable in such an environment, and we damn well know it.

In spite of the lies spread by people like Mark Zuckerberg and Bob Iger who demand unlimited immigration from low-income countries to compensate for an imaginary talent shortage in the USA, competition for desirable software writing jobs is fierce! If I cannot tolerate an "open space" office, there are 10 other people who can who want the job.

In short, our house is on fire! If this trend continues, we face perpetual unemployability no matter how talented we are. A quick Google search indicates that here in the USA, 70% of companies have already transitioned to open office plans.

Let me point out that if I needed to use a wheelchair to move about and my wheelchair wouldn't sit comfortably next to the desk, the courts would demand that the employer make a "reasonable accomodation". So how is it that we can be put in environments that are intolerable for us as Aspies and then be told that we're SOL.

The subtext for this forum says that at work, you'll be stuffed into a depressing box called a cubicle. Today, you're lucky to get a cubicle! As Dilbert pointed out, the open plan office is the only thing that could possibly be worse than cubicles.

We need to do something about it, but I don't know what that thing is. Any ideas?

I don't like noisy environments either. However, I fear the greater danger is the huge stress on communication skills i companies plus the offshoring/replacement with H1Bs of the STEM jobs that favor Aspies.

Of course, I totally get you on the noisy environment. While in the computer lab at school, one time I snapped at people nearby because they were too noisy (I'm sure they were working on a project too but I was struggling with something difficult and the noise didn't help.)

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2018, 11:13 pm

Knofskia wrote:
If you live near Madison, Wisconsin (or are comfortable moving), have completed a bachelor's degree (in any field), and are skilled with computers, you can check out the software company, Epic Systems Corporation. You do not need to have a computer science degree or know any programming languages, they train new hires in their programming language and software.

There were occasional projects that required teamwork in a meeting room or large computer room, but otherwise, we all worked from our own personal offices. They put a lot of money and effort into anything that might make their employees more happy and more productive:
• Individual offices
• Break rooms (with free coffee, juice, and popcorn)
• Cafeteria (with free leftovers for dinner for anyone working late)
• General store
• On-site conveniences (packages, dry cleaning, oil changes...)

They also give pretty good pay and benefits.

Think I applied for them. Never heard back.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 10:44 am

George9 wrote:
I have been talking with others at work about this lately and NOBODY seems to like the open cubicles, even NTs. Apparently upper management thinks people are less likely to goof off if they are being watched. Of course it has the opposite affect as it makes most of us less efficient. Of course it is worst fro people like myself.

You beat me to it! I work in logistics and frequently get requests to 'close off' open plan cubicles: in fact I just dealt with one a few moments ago. I can confidently state that 99% of office workers despise open cubicles and many office workers will move cabinets and other furniture on their own to create their own makeshift walls.

Makes it even more bizarre how almost every house is going in the opposite direction and are being designed without walls on the main level (and homeowners are knocking down walls) but I digress. I love my private office, love my walls at home and would never be able to work in a open concept office without going mad.