What is your job/what careers are you good at?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Smart blondie28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2017, 11:36 am

???

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 1:01 pm

I am very good at studying stuff and making things that work better. Or figuring out why they don't work. But making stuff work is more fun, particularly when there is simple measurement benchmark to determine "better."

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 6:59 pm

I most recently acquired a job in cleaning at a part-time zero hour contract basis, I know people have said this line of work is uncertain and not very profitable but I consider it a step in the right direction, as even though i would only get £72 ($90) per week maximum its still good experience for my CV.

When it comes to career, i would firstly need to have money saved up and deal with everyday issues like housing, bills, days out etc. The sort of career I would be looking for is to go back to university but to do a course that I feel I would both enjoy and excel at academically such as interior design, architecture, CAD, modelling, some of which i'm practising my hand at currently. Even though my background is IT, I never got into computer programming which was my major at university, maybe a mistake of choosing computer science as a general subject rather than a specialized field. Only time can mend mistakes such as that so that I can learn from life more in the working world beforehand.

EmilyRyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2017, 1:25 am

The only real job skill I been good at is sorting stuff and that's about it there's nothing else I've ever been good doing.

I can't even get a job that would make use of my one "real" skill.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 1:59 am

I am good at damn near everything... except for the stuff that requires the practice of active-dishonesty... such as most forms of marketing and manipulating public-perception to unnaturally force a sale...

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2017, 6:31 pm

I have a BFA. I've taught English in foreign countries. I was okay at that. I've done mystery shopping the past year and it's great. Now I am a mail carrier and I find it very suitable. I would like to utilize my education or get my masters. I've also been a stay at home mom which jives with the whole I hate the public thing pretty well but the pay is terrible, and it can be daunting.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 3:13 pm

Really my skills is working a job very effectively on my own with no supervision. My job requires me to run a sales route on my own and do things my way and I couldn't be happier with the arrangement. I would work much worse if I had to complete tasks verbally while being watched, not gonna happen.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

brianlety
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2017, 10:52 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
I am good at damn near everything... except for the stuff that requires the practice of active-dishonesty... such as most forms of marketing and manipulating public-perception to unnaturally force a sale...

me too, i can work anything and will not disappoint anyone, but when it come to "active-dishonesty". i really dont have heart to do that. like unnaturally force of sales, marketing stuff, not really my passion.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2017, 10:41 am

I go back and forth between substitute teaching and working as a direct support professional. I'm currently a substitute teacher.

I do best either working alone or directly under someone else with clear expectations and few surprises. Obviously as a substitute teacher, this means I do best in the aide positions (paraprofessional). I rarely take on full classrooms by myself anymore; too many social failures and meltdowns over recalcitrant kids in the past. I might do half-days as a regular ed teacher if the district is desperate, but I try to stick to the paraprofessional jobs. Working with smaller groups of kids, and helping with grading and paperwork, is right up my alley. I usually enjoy those things.