Shared My Experience About Choosing Job For Aspie

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Coder Rebirth
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Feb 2017, 9:42 pm

Hello! I come from Thailand so I'm sorry about my bad english.
but I really want to share my idea about choose job.

I'm male 25 years old. Have Bachelor Degree Major in Economics. and have asperger syndrome.

I have experience in 4 jobs.

1. Financial Advisor - this is true hell.the co-worker is all female. every working about 15 minutes, then the girls stand up from desk to chitchat.
and always gossip about my personality. the size of firm is large bank. I resigned after 2 month.

2. Accounting data entry (not real accountant because I do not have accounting major) - this is heaven (very quiet). the size of firm is small. the job is hard-work. I don't have to eat lunch with co-worker. but the gender of team is all female. so it's hard to talk with different gender. and sometimes they're angry without reason. however it's fine for aspie. but cannot make friend. (because I am only male)

3. Web Programmer - My country (and most of country in the world) lack of programmer in job market, so people without computer-science degree but have coding skill with portfolio can apply for programming position

This is more perfect than the second job. the size of firm is too small. there is only me as a web developer in firm (and IT department room has only 2 person lol.) so I can relax like I stay at my home.

4.Web Programmer (big size I.T. firm) - My family encourage me to raise up the salary so I apply the programming job in the bigger size of firm. At first, I feel it will be more problem, if there is many people but this is not true in programming job. in my team, co-worker wear headphone and continually coding very long hours ( I remember that the frequency of chitchat(not work topic related) is around 2 times per day and work related topic around 3 times per day. so It's very comfort for me. I can sometimes talk about game, anime with them (in I.T. world, it's tend to have more Geek, Nerd, Aspie than other field). and the reason that co-worker rarely chitchat is , it's work hard and require concentration.
Oh and I sit with co-woker without desk partition. (even not have desk partition and have to face to co-worker eyes but they still look at his laptop, wear headphone and coding lol. )

So my idea is
1.choose the example job in common sense of introvert job.

2.choose the work that work hard (then everyone will not have time to chitchat)

3.1 choose size of firm not too big if your job is not work hard like accountant, programmer, graphic designer
because if you choose too big firm, it will have lot of people, and if the work is easy. they will have time to chitchat and gossip you or bully you.

3.2 if your job is work hard like programmer accountant graphic designer then you can choose any size of firm

4. try to choose office room that have more male gender. (In fact, female tend to be more talkative and gossip and moody and backstab than male)

5. choose the job that demanding in job market . it will make you no fear about your boss to firing you. because he cannot easily find other employee (just like programmer, accountant, engineering etc.) or job that emphasize on technical skill like graphic desinger, web designer, programmer, accountant, engineering, database administrator, network,system administrator.

6. if you do not care about permanent work in company. or If you have age over 37 years old now (it will be difficult to find common work) , so job like
- taxi driver
- product,item deliver (will be on motorcycle or truck most of the time., require to be at office sometimes),
- security guard
- freelance web designer , freelance graphic designer, freelance web programmer, or other freelance
would be fine

... and if you are interested to learn programming I recommend the web programming field because it has more tutorial than software programming. if you are not too smart, you should choose language that easy and has a lot of tutorial like PHP, javascript) do not choose JAVA it really difficult.
I spend 6 months for learning and land a programming job. without cost because tutorial is free on internet.

Graphic designer, Web designer field are also similar to this (everything is on portfolio to apply job and the work has quiet environment )

Employer does not interest in degree but portfolio in these field. in job apply's websites, they write that they require computer science degree, but I submit my resume (economics degree + portfolio) , then they call me suddenly, so don't fear the qualification that they define. just apply it)

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2017, 1:19 pm

Thank you for this, it gives a good insight into what we need from a job.

I work nightshift because it's dark, quiet and there aren't many people around. I do worry what job might be suitable for my youngest son who also has Aspergers. He is being educated at home at the moment due to being bullied at school.

I'm glad your work experiences are working out for you :D

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 12:19 pm

This was a really great post.

Quote:
Hello! I come from Thailand...
Is everyone from Thailand as smart as you?

I sure hope someone with the ability finds a way to permanently pin this to the top of the subject column.

Everyone in a technical (or non-technical) field should get to see this before heading out job hunting.

Thank you. :D