Is it possible to make use of my degree?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Ask_Later
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2017, 2:21 pm

Hi. I recently graduated from a community college with an associates of science in mathematics. I did this because it seemed like the cheapest way to get the general education requirements for an engineering degree, but I tried transferring into an engineering program and what I learned is that I need a break from school. Is there any way I can get a job that makes use of this degree?
In case you're wondering about the coursework I completed for the degree:
Calc 1, 2, and 3
Diffrential Equations and Linear Algebra
Discrete Math
Intro to real analysis
Calc based physics 1 and 2
General chemistry 1
Programming in Java

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 2:40 pm

If I were in your position I'd look for office/assistant jobs in banks, accounting firms, insurance firms, science/technical manufacturing (maybe quality control), etc. Those would be good experience, would get you good recommendations, and perhaps have room for advancement. In practical terms, be sure you're good with Excel, and maybe learn a common bookkeeping program like Quickbooks -- those plus math make you a strong candidate.

There Are Four Lights!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 9:03 pm

Ask_Later wrote:
Hi. I recently graduated from a community college with an associates of science in mathematics. I did this because it seemed like the cheapest way to get the general education requirements for an engineering degree, but I tried transferring into an engineering program and what I learned is that I need a break from school. Is there any way I can get a job that makes use of this degree?
In case you're wondering about the coursework I completed for the degree:
Calc 1, 2, and 3
Diffrential Equations and Linear Algebra
Discrete Math
Intro to real analysis
Calc based physics 1 and 2
General chemistry 1
Programming in Java

I imagine you could do something in programming.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 10:14 pm

get a job as a math tutor. math tutor for the community college. sylvan learning center

payroll

look at your school's website. or another school's website. look up what can you do with associate degree in math.

your question has answers.

however, I have applying for a lot of jobs. for a long time. not many of them specify associates degree. of those, not many specify associates in math.

http://work.chron.com/careers-associate ... 16652.html

in any event, nowadays, some articles claim that half of people with bachelors degrees work in jobs that do not require degrees altogether. such as the stereotypical barista.

likewise some academic subjects do not have many jobs attached to them.

you might have the job skills for a job, but plenty of other candidates apply for the job too. employers hire whoever they want. they might notice your autism symptoms (and not say anything about it). you might not get the job.

applied for a job at the school district. when I went in, she told me that they have a lot of applications so they just pick someone they're :o comfortable :oops: with it and stick with it.

"comfortable"? they might be "comfortable" with someone that is only white, male, cisgender, straight, slender, upper middle class, handsome, neurotypical.

"comfortable" is like a euphemism or something :cry:

and of course, precious little "people" are not "comfortable" around me. b/c I ain't just like them. and the more they socially reject me, the more avoidant and fearful I get. thus a vicious cycle.

getting a little weirder every day.

and was already weird to begin with.

go to a job counselor.

there are books about what you can do with a certain degree.

look up books.

although the vast majority of those books are aimed at bachelors degree holders.

but whatever.

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

15 May 2017, 3:33 am

Unfortunately, employers don't care about associates degrees anymore. You'll need a bachelor's to even stand a chance.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2017, 8:28 pm

I have a degree in English and work for a software company. You'll be fine.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 8:32 pm

Having some kind of a degree should help you, and math impresses people. It's part of the reason I got a degree in math, in order to have some kind of proof of being smart. :lol: I'm also on my first job search with my new papers, so I'll wish you the best of luck.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 3:55 pm

pineapplehead wrote:
Unfortunately, employers don't care about associates degrees anymore. You'll need a bachelor's to even stand a chance.

This is one of those things they should explain to people. Had I known this ten years ago, I would have just not bothered going to school. I have an AAS and it's useless. I didn't want a bachelors because I was sick of school. I attended school from age 4 to 16. I could have just used those extra years doing something important.

jhogan21
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2017, 5:50 pm

You could look into any role that has analyst on it. Most of those just require good skills in Excel and problem solving! Another good thing to work on is SQL.