Anyone ever had a job they love/loved?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ElizaMe
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2017, 6:36 am

Hey everyone. Anyone ever had an enjoyable job where they could relax and be themselves? Thanks :)

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 9:30 pm

unpaid internship. Commercial Real Estate Intern. my job was to walk up and down the sidewalks of the city. write down the names and addresses of businesses. and record them in Microsoft Excel.

with the exception of that time a dog bit me, loved it.

got to be outside. did not have to interact with anyone. did not have to do anything difficult.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:50 pm

Yes, and I wish I still had it. Six hours per day, from 6 to 12, Monday to Friday, with free nearby parking, an absolutely fantastic view of the city skyline seen through massive windows, with one of those juke-box/music-box contraptions playing music downstairs. No one thought I was "weird", I actually got along superbly with everyone there (with the exception of the supervisor, but she was just a b$$$$ anyway), and all I had to do was what I am doing now - sit in front of a computer screen and not talk to anyone if I didn't want to (although I often did want to talk, which was also unusual). I actually made a couple of friends there, I really fit in, it was almost perfect.

It's not fair, I want that job back! :(

fourteenfaces
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2017, 9:31 pm

I work with students with ASD on developing language, social, and coping skills and have loved it for the last 15 years. It is wonderful to be able to act as a translator for the kids and share strategies that have helped me cope. I think I could be happy with any job where I can see the difference I make in people's lives, but my current work is what gets me out of bed in the morning.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2017, 10:25 pm

ElizaMe wrote:
Hey everyone. Anyone ever had an enjoyable job where they could relax and be themselves? Thanks :)

My first three jobs I hated, though my delayed social development was likely a large factor, and my past three jobs including my current job I liked/like well enough.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 10:02 am

While I was a student in University, I worked in the University Library in the archive department. I made custom-fit preservation boxes and wraps made of acid free archive grade material for very old books. Basically whenever a book from the 40's or 50's came my way, I considered it a pretty recent book. Most of the stuff I handled was circa 1840's-1890's. Sometimes I had stuff from the 18th century. The oldest book I ever handled was a Holy Bible from 1549. Aside from the boss, I was the only one working there. Libraries are also quiet places, and I worked in an out of the way place in the back. So it was always super quiet. I'd also help from time to time set up exhibits in the library. I also got to design and create custom preservation boxes for unique library items

The only bad thing about it was that some of the books were so badly deteriorated that they were very unpleasant to work with. A set of books from the 1870's comes to mind. The leather was so badly deteriorated, that I had to wash my hands after I finished with each book.

I miss that job a lot.

KateUher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jun 2017, 12:03 pm

I have enjoyed house cleaning. It has the potential to pay ok if you work for yourself. I enjoyed the solo nature of this job and the fact that I could have music on and I was usually in nice houses.

I was stock person for an import store. I showed up at 5 am which took some getting used to. But after I adjusted to the hours I was fine. Again I liked the solo nature of the job. I also enjoyed unpacking things from around the world and being in charge of organizing the back of the shop.

At university I was an English Language tutor to foreign exchange students. It was only 1:1 interaction, and with an objective which I found made the social element easier and often these students didn't see my quirkiness as much as my same culture peers did. That was nice.

Today I work as a therapist. I really love this job. Again it's only 1:1 interaction so it's not overwhelming, my work colleagues are other therapists, so I don't have the issues that I have had with past jobs about not fitting in socially. They are a compassionate bunch and don't mind my quirks. Also therapy rooms are often designed to be soothing so the environment is great.

Author of "The Gifts of Autism, an A-Z" (A children's book)
and "Disappearing Girl" (Another ASD memoir) https://thesensitivityspectrum.com/writing/

StephenBeets679895
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2017, 12:42 am

I once worked for a local company as an assembler putting together pediatric audiometry equipment. It really helped me develop my skill with electronics design and soldering. In fact, that job gave me both the money and inspiration to embark on projects at home that I might not have done otherwise. I really hate that I lost that job in 2009 because that has left me absolutely penniless and deeply unhappy and depressed with life.

The job was very easy to do and even though I only worked part-time for three days out of the week, that proved enough to buy me many things like music CDs and DVD movies, a computer, a digital audio recorder so I could record music in better quality than I was with cassette tapes, parts for electronic projects and even funded many of the purchases I made for my various collections.

Given the fact that those kinds of jobs don't exist in the U.S. any more, I have zero hope of ever working again. I've pretty much given up on it. :cry:

MissxVenomxPoison
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2017, 10:31 pm

ElizaMe wrote:

I volunteered at a flower shop in a small town for over a year. My boss was a family friend and a super sweet lady, we literally talked about everything (from our love lives to murder mysteries). I did LOTS of stuff and I could dress anyway I liked (within reason) of course.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2017, 2:42 pm

I loved acting and vacuuming.

My perfect work-life balance would be vacuuming a big building in the evening and doing TV/movie extras work during the day. Bliss. :heart: :mrgreen:

paintmepink
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2017, 7:50 am

Skateboard store. I use to skateboard, and I would chill and just tie shoes for customers. Didn't know much about snowboarding. Worst part was back then, I didn't talk to my co workers, so it was a very awkward environment until I was fired I'm assuming, but it was a nice job to have while the store was still in business.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2017, 8:07 am

Both were voluntary. Loved the coastguard, teaching and running the jetski crew... Most rewarding was working In Lourdes in Southern France helping the sick and handicapped, despite a number of sensory issues.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Jun 2017, 2:56 pm

I liked doing floor care at WalMart when management left me alone to do my job. Things got worse the longer I was there thou. I also didn't mind doing custodial stuff at a sporting goods store.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 1:53 pm

I wouldn't say I love my job because it can be very hard work but I do feel rather happy with it most of the time and it suits me well. As a beverage sales rep, I get to work my own schedule and I work by myself 98% of the time.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

AdamWhite
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jun 2017, 12:54 pm

I have dream jobs too but I have never had the chance to get one. My current jobs are boring and tiring and I doubt that there will be people enjoying their current jobs.