Accommodations needed for Aspergers on the Job

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2017, 4:52 pm

Anybody ever have to tell their company what accommodations they might need for Aspergers on the job? Did you get them from your doctor?

JustJim
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jul 2017, 12:19 am

Hello-

Accommodations should ideally be individual- and job-specific. What might be appropriate for one person in one context might not be appropriate for someone else, or for the first person in another context. This means that a general "list of accommodations" often doesn't work out.

Recommendations for accommodations might come from a doctor, but more likely, the doctor will refer the patient to someone who does vocational rehabilitation. For vocational rehabilitation workers, the process usually begins with doing some assessments and observations of the patient/client doing a variety of tasks in a variety of circumstances. Then they look at the job and what it entails, and the environment in which the job is performed. Then they can put together a list of accommodations that make it more likely that the patient/client will be able to do the job. If you know the job, you may be able to work with your HR department to develop a list of accommodations that will make the job easier for you to do.

Jim

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2017, 1:59 pm

Thanks, Jim, That's good insight and makes a lot of sense.