Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2018, 2:44 am

I was fired (not the current job, but the previous one) because I had poor social skills. If you look at the job itself, my performance was sufficient and I was very independent.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 2:51 am

I was too slow and mistake-prone.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 2:57 am

The only time I was ever fired was when I was 18. I overslept one morning and didn't show up to work.

There were others who failed to show up fairly regularly but they watched for them and were always ready to take over if they didn't show up.

Since I had never missed a shift from the day I started, they didn't keep an eye out to see if I showed up or not. The manager got chewed out for that and fired me because of that.

It didn't hurt too much because the job would have been over in another week and a half anyway.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2018, 3:34 am

hmk66 wrote:
I was fired (not the current job, but the previous one) because I had poor social skills. If you look at the job itself, my performance was sufficient and I was very independent.

What was the job

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2018, 7:45 am

I was programmer.

To be more specific about the reason they fired me:
- Not wanting to participate a personnel party and therefore be absent there;
- Too sweet;
- Don't know how to behave towards women. I remember that I rejected a few women that showed interest in me;
- Poor social skills;
- Not fitting wel in the team.

I remember that I had to work together with someone that got easily agitated. It made me angry. Therefore both he and I were fired.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Mar 2018, 7:41 pm

I haven't been fired.

Quit my 1st job that I actually had for 3 years after having a mental breakdown & suicide attempt and ending up in the hospital.

Was hired on as a seasonal stocker at Toys R' Us and quit because I was getting practically no hours. Was there for a few weeks.

Guess I got hired at some place that does cleaning but they wanted me to clean toilets and I couldn't deal with that so I walked out.

Was just hired as a Meijer's stocker but they immediately pressured me about going faster and gave me deadlines, so I had to quit because my depression & anxiety reared up again. Wouldn't have been surprised if I got fired from there if I stayed.

Ardea cinerea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2018, 1:41 pm

Went south, took an overdose, only paracetamol, all I had at hand but in a quantity to do damage and of course I was freaking drunk at the time. Worked for a security firm ran by ex bent coppers, (well one was, seen him on vintage news real regarding the battle of Orgreave) While I was in hospital and on a drip a so called friend and work college went behind my back and informed my bosses. I was called into the office some time later, and they were talking nonsense, talking about side effects such as constipation like I took freaking Heroin. Who told them I took that? One of my obsessions at the time was Neurology, though never been formally educated about it. I felt like been a smart arse, saying that Heroin inhibits certain MU opioid receptors that not only exist in the brain but the stomach and gastric tract and this is why constipation is a side effect of Heroin use, but not all opioids work that way, and even so, why would this effect me, once in a blue moon I will take co codamol to treat migraine or extreme tooth ache. I am not an angel, I have experimented in my past but not with that stuff. But I was treated as a freaking junkie and my, who I thought at the time was my friend and work college betrayed me, and if my bosses think that of me, well, I let them let me go without a fight. Sod em, they can bloody do one right, I am better than that. Dark times and those idiots, I am better than that. That was some time ago now but I have moved on to much greater things, only time I have been let go from a job that.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2018, 1:42 pm

I was fired from Hardees way back in the 90s because the assistant manager was a jerkoff. I wasn't trained on anything and the other managers would argue with me over whether I was trained or not. The store manager had lied to me about my salary and the rest of the people who worked there were jerkoffs as well. I was there for a week when the assistant manager (he had been there for a long time and obviously hadn't worked anywhere else) called me into the office and told me that they're firing me because "I was a temp" but I was probably fired since he didn't like me from day 1. This was typical of employers here back in the day, mind you.

Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 7:50 am

This thread is making me slightly paranoid, since I've held this job for over a year now and want to stay in it.

I never got fired, but I quit furiously from my first job after doing 100-hour working months for laughable pay on a bogus contract just to get into the market. Looking back, of course they exploited me, but due to my gullible nature I kept at it until finally one day I hit my limit when I took the first (!) morning train home after working all night, slept three hours, woke up and couldn't walk straight, emailed the boss and said I needed 3 more hours, after which he accused me of being a selfish child and not a team player. I wrote back a scathing email basically writing off everything about his office and my time there, told him I'd be in in three hours to pick up my computer, and that this would be the last thing he'd see of me there. When I did so, I took the opportunity to tell the boss he still owed me money. We amiably asked each other to **** off, and they gave me the money five days later.

At the time, I was proud of my actions, as I didn't want to compromise my personality just because of coworker pressure, but looking back now ... I wish I had just simply not allowed me to be used in the first place.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2018, 9:11 am

1986 wrote:
This thread is making me slightly paranoid, since I've held this job for over a year now and want to stay in it.

I never got fired, but I quit furiously from my first job after doing 100-hour working months for laughable pay on a bogus contract just to get into the market. Looking back, of course they exploited me, but due to my gullible nature I kept at it until finally one day I hit my limit when I took the first (!) morning train home after working all night, slept three hours, woke up and couldn't walk straight, emailed the boss and said I needed 3 more hours, after which he accused me of being a selfish child and not a team player. I wrote back a scathing email basically writing off everything about his office and my time there, told him I'd be in in three hours to pick up my computer, and that this would be the last thing he'd see of me there. When I did so, I took the opportunity to tell the boss he still owed me money. We amiably asked each other to **** off, and they gave me the money five days later.

At the time, I was proud of my actions, as I didn't want to compromise my personality just because of coworker pressure, but looking back now ... I wish I had just simply not allowed me to be used in the first place.

Don’t be paranoid. What’s your current job? Are you enjoying it?

Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 9:40 am

I'm an architect who works for a small office in Tokyo. Currently I'm chief designer of a semi-skyscraper in China. The job is demanding and I have a history of psychosis and depression, so I have to take it fairly easy. The tasks can get a bit boring from time to time (just churning out endless design proposals which the boss rejects), but I have a good relationship with my colleagues and they tolerate (so far) my quirkiness, which gives me hope. I'm happy if I can just continue working there until the project is done so I can have something reassuring to put on my CV for my eventual next career move. :?

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2018, 11:21 am

(I haven't been on here in a long time, glad to be back!)

Anyways, I'm currently working as a substitute paraeducator in two local school districts (and used to be three). Sadly, these two districts hardly give me any job opportunities. I'm currently in college working towards my Elem Ed degree. And it might have to do with being fired from the third district after just over three weeks.

The third district is one of the largest in Central Washington, and is majority low-income, with a high Hispanic population. Anyways things were going quite well the first 2-3 weeks, I had at least three jobs a week filling in for paras, helping out in small groups, monitoring recess & lunch, and helping students in the computer lab with their math problems, for example. Then at one elementary school, I had to deal with a stressful situation - and it was all due to lunch. The lunch line was awful that day, first of all, and after telling them a couple times to be quiet (no talking is allowed in the hallway at the school I was working at), they wouldn't stop so I had to raise their voice sternly at them, sending some to the back of the line too for continuing to talk. Then in the cafeteria, some punk 2nd grader decided to be a smartypants towards me AND towards other students. He told other kids to 'shut up' and put his thumbs down and 'booed' at them. I told him to stop or he would lose his recess. I called another paraeducator over to help and she talked to him but nothing was ever done. With 5 minutes to go, I told them to put their trays away and quietly sit at their table to be dismissed to recess. This punk kid wouldn't stop talking! He ended up losing his recess and I told him that he was disrespectful and rude for telling others to 'shut up,' and that we aren't supposed to do that. I also told him to apologize.

A few days later I called the school district because I couldn't access jobs - they fired me. They ended up changing the story...and I allegedly told the kid he was disgusting and 'the worst'! I couldn't believe it! These idiots ruined the only job I was able to hold and make money for my family. The HR director rudely told me I was better off as a janitor because you don't have to be social with the children. Then she told me I acted 'like a child' with the kids in line (really?! They wouldn't stop talking! I had nobody around to help me...no paras, no teachers!) And then they went as far as saying 'you aren't supposed to learn on the job.' I had only done this for 3 weeks and was still learning the protocols of each school, because every rule book is different at each school.

As for other jobs, I've had 20 or so rejects, including a daycare, stocking groceries, a nursery, a call center, several full-time parapro positions, a yearbook/class ring company and the latest, yesterday in fact...a YMCA summer camp!! I was REALLY hoping to get that job - help lead several kids in fun activities and hiking and storytelling and all types of good stuff. It's awesome for a resume as well. :x
It tells you, people who tell us to 'get a job' don't realize that we are trying and we cannot get accepted into jobs! Or they come up with some stupid or random reason to fire us and replace us with a normal person! It's very sad. Many of these rejects were because of 'lack of experience,' others due to 'this is not a good fit for you,' what the hell's a good fit!? I'm in college trying to get my Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Education K-8, and it really sucks that the only money I make is from my financial aid refund.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 5:47 am

I feel a little nervous posting this on the internet even though this account isn't really connected with my real life identity too much but still it's worth sharing. I NEVER frame up these situations these ways when describing my first few jobs to others. I feel like if they knew how bad I was at stuff back then they'd see my flaws now.

I was fired from just about every job that I had between 18 and 23.

My first job I was fired for a mixture of being stupid enough to tell my boss that I wanted to take a vacation so that I could look for a new job, and because I had hygiene issues.

My second job was a telemarketing job that I wasn't great at, and I got transferred to the referrals department. I didn't perform great in the referrals department because the instructions weren't great and I was expected to talk to existing customers who were being ripped off to ask them for businesses that they might be willing to give us contact info for to rip off as well... Then when they did a big sweeping termination for most of the department I got swept away in it. So kinda for not being able to do NT socializing stuff.

My third job was another telemarketing job. They didn't really pay us much, but eventually they fired me because I wasn't any good at warming up cold leads.

I had other temp jobs between that one and my fourth job... they were pretty ratty... eventually I messed things up with the temp agency when they wouldn't pay me for a job that I had did. I had confronted the coordinator. So while I wasn't actually fired... I did get put on the black list for the company. I would put this to not knowing how to deal with a dispute in a professional manner. (no social instincts)

Then my fourth job... I was constantly bullied by co-workers... I had put in my 2 weeks notice... and the day before it was time to wrap up a co-worker called me a lazy f*** and I yelled at him and told him to eff off and stuff... the manager came and told me off and that I was fired... I would say this one relates because I didn't know how to report the improper behavior to HR at the time. (lack of executive functioning, social instincts, and how to deal with a support network to resolve issues)

Gosh... writing this post... has possibly been one of the most therapeutic things I've ever done in relationship to my career. I've been so afraid about work and what might happen if I worked anywhere but my current company because I used to not understand why these things happened. I feel like I've gained a lot of insight into past issues I've had!

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 12:47 pm

Scenario 1: I worked in a pretzel place for only 2 hours and was let go for supposedly sniffing the food. Yet the district manager ignored me the whole time and didn't interact with me once. However, that turned out to be a set up because the person who hired me got fired because the district manager didn't like him.

Scenario 2: For reporting a shady group of management who lied to me about promoting me to the manager and giving me a raise and also continuing to tell others at work about what happened after I had been warned not to bring it up.

Scenario 3: Because I was a bad cashier at a grocery store and evidentally got a lot of complaints that I didn't know how to ring up costumers properly and for continuing to talk to them

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2018, 1:07 pm

infinitenull wrote:
I feel a little nervous posting this on the internet even though this account isn't really connected with my real life identity too much but still it's worth sharing. I NEVER frame up these situations these ways when describing my first few jobs to others. I feel like if they knew how bad I was at stuff back then they'd see my flaws now.

I was fired from just about every job that I had between 18 and 23.

My first job I was fired for a mixture of being stupid enough to tell my boss that I wanted to take a vacation so that I could look for a new job, and because I had hygiene issues.

My second job was a telemarketing job that I wasn't great at, and I got transferred to the referrals department. I didn't perform great in the referrals department because the instructions weren't great and I was expected to talk to existing customers who were being ripped off to ask them for businesses that they might be willing to give us contact info for to rip off as well... Then when they did a big sweeping termination for most of the department I got swept away in it. So kinda for not being able to do NT socializing stuff.

My third job was another telemarketing job. They didn't really pay us much, but eventually they fired me because I wasn't any good at warming up cold leads.

I had other temp jobs between that one and my fourth job... they were pretty ratty... eventually I messed things up with the temp agency when they wouldn't pay me for a job that I had did. I had confronted the coordinator. So while I wasn't actually fired... I did get put on the black list for the company. I would put this to not knowing how to deal with a dispute in a professional manner. (no social instincts)

Then my fourth job... I was constantly bullied by co-workers... I had put in my 2 weeks notice... and the day before it was time to wrap up a co-worker called me a lazy f*** and I yelled at him and told him to eff off and stuff... the manager came and told me off and that I was fired... I would say this one relates because I didn't know how to report the improper behavior to HR at the time. (lack of executive functioning, social instincts, and how to deal with a support network to resolve issues)

Gosh... writing this post... has possibly been one of the most therapeutic things I've ever done in relationship to my career. I've been so afraid about work and what might happen if I worked anywhere but my current company because I used to not understand why these things happened. I feel like I've gained a lot of insight into past issues I've had!

I'm really glad you found writing that post has given you some insight into yourself and been therapeutic. That's fantastic :D

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2018, 1:09 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Scenario 1: I worked in a pretzel place for only 2 hours and was let go for supposedly sniffing the food. Yet the district manager ignored me the whole time and didn't interact with me once. However, that turned out to be a set up because the person who hired me got fired because the district manager didn't like him.

Scenario 2: For reporting a shady group of management who lied to me about promoting me to the manager and giving me a raise and also continuing to tell others at work about what happened after I had been warned not to bring it up.

Scenario 3: Because I was a bad cashier at a grocery store and evidentally got a lot of complaints that I didn't know how to ring up costumers properly and for continuing to talk to them

Do you work at the moment? If so, what do you do and how is it going?