Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 10:12 pm

It has occurred to me that farming might be a good occupation for someone on the spectrum. Particularly grain farming, because...

1. It's cyclic and so fairly predictable.
2. A lot of the work can be done alone, or is busy, outdoor work, for example, riding a tractor all day in the middle of nowhere.
3. You are not trapped within the confines of an office environment in close proximity to others.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2018, 10:52 pm

I know from happy experience farming is an excellent career for us! I’m a small-scale organic homesteader instead of a grain producer, but I also enjoy all the benefits you describe and more.

Is there anyone else out there living the grower lifestyle?

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 12:37 am

Because of brexit alot of the foreign seasonal farmers are leaving to their own country, in this mindset i'd thought that it might make it easier to find a job. But I dont think i'll be able to work in farming for reasons such as:

- can't drive to or from location, let alone driving machinery
- nearest farms are probably 100 miles away which i'm not willing to relocate
- it being seasonal and the country as a whole can't grow in winter
- lack level of fitness required for most of it if can't operate machinery

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 12:46 am

it also usually involves wrangling with heavy, loud machinery.

probably goes against some aspies' sensory issues. but all your points are still valid.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2018, 9:38 am

Hell yes it's good! I have a dea with my landlady to take care of her animals (mostly horses and sheep) in exchange for free rent. Not only is it a nice way of not having to get a "real" job. It makes me follow my routine and keep the same sleeping rhythm, and I get lots of exercise - all three are things that I tend to ignore unless I have something to keep me at it.
I get to hang around animals a lot, which has a therapeutic effect on pretty much everyone.
I don't need to deal with any human interaction at all.
The animals require as much of a routine as I do, so everything happens the same way, in the same order, every day - and I am the one who gets to decide that order. And since I'm good at finding systems and effective solutions, I get through the tasks way faster than anyone else who's worked here (while being more thorough than anyone else) so I'm a highly valued employee here.

At some point, I want to get my own house and start farming vegetables for real. I'm always in a very good mood when my days consists of plant-caring. For now, all I have room for is some tomatoes on the roof and herbs in the window.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2018, 10:07 am

I’m glad people are thinking about this! I guess when people picture ‘farm’, they think of the industrial food industry. The majority of people starting their own farms today run things differently. They grow on ten acres or less using basic tools and sell their products at farmers markets or directly from the farm. Personally, I’m a homesteader, which means what I produce on my two acres mostly goes to providing for my family, then I sell any leftovers. Instead of working a job with NTs for money to buy what we need, I make it my dang self and enjoy my freedom.

I’d hate the loud machinery, too, but I don’t use anything with an engine in the garden. I have shovels, hoes, and a pitchfork, and those easily supply of all my outdoor technical needs. Most of the time, the only sounds I hear are my chickens or the local songbirds. (the woodpecker gets a little irritating sometimes!) Most of what I grow has to be preserved for later consumption, so inside I use two kinds of canners, a dehydrator and a freezer. If you’re very noise-sentitive, dehydrators make a low hum, so I’d suggest keeping that in a far corner of the house.

I work in my kitchen or the backyard, so the commute is pretty easy. It is seasonal work, but if you do it right during the growing season, you’ll have enough stocked to get through those slow months and you can enjoy the break. Most of us aim for year-round production, and people are flipping ingenious on how to do that. I’ve seen people in Alaska use indoor growing stations, cold frames, and greenhouses to grow fresh produce in January.

The biggest obstacles for new farmers I see are you have to:

-be willing to put in hours of physical labor in sometimes not pleasant conditions. (side note: I’m a little old lady, and I love those wide-eyed looks I get at the store when I carry around fifty-pound bags of chicken feed!)
-be willing to get extremely dirty and smelly and find yourself in close contact with a variety of insect life.
-possess good organizational and planning skills.
-recover from setbacks. Mold happens, freezes happen, and hurricanes happen... sometimes within months of each other.
-be able to work alone, teach yourself skills and stay self-motivated.

If anyone has questions or is interested in learning more details about the lifestyle, you’re welcome to PM me, or check out motherearthnews.com.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2018, 10:12 am

Embla wrote:
Hell yes it's good! I have a dea with my landlady to take care of her animals (mostly horses and sheep) in exchange for free rent. Not only is it a nice way of not having to get a "real" job. It makes me follow my routine and keep the same sleeping rhythm, and I get lots of exercise - all three are things that I tend to ignore unless I have something to keep me at it.
I get to hang around animals a lot, which has a therapeutic effect on pretty much everyone.
The animals require as much of a routine as I do, so everything happens the same way, in the same order, every day - and I am the one who gets to decide that order. And since I'm good at finding systems and effective solutions, I get through the tasks way faster than anyone else who's worked here (while being more thorough than anyone else) so I'm a highly valued employee here.

At some point, I want to get my own house and start farming vegetables for real. I'm always in a very good mood when my days consists of plant-caring. For now, all I have room for is some tomatoes on the roof and herbs in the window.

I take so flipping long to write posts I didn’t see yours until I was done! I love your explanation of the benefits of working with animals!

Tomatoes on the roof, that’s intriguing! How does that work?

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2018, 10:47 am

Veggie Farmer wrote:
Embla wrote:

I take so flipping long to write posts I didn’t see yours until I was done! I love your explanation of the benefits of working with animals!

Haha! I know, I take forever to write, too!
Your last post is very encouraging. And a good reminder that I need to get my planning abilities in order for my future-plans to work out.
AND I just checked out that website of yours - it is fantastic! Went into the bookmarks immediately!

I live in a caravan, so the roof is flat and easy to climb up on. I just keep my tomatoes in pots up there.
I've tried make a little plastic greenhouse-tent for them, but we get huge storms in the summer, so I've given up on trying to make a construction that doesn't blow away. They're doing pretty fine without one though.
There's never an overwhelming produce, maybe between two and four kilos per year - if I remember to take them down on the ground when the storms come in.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2018, 11:15 am

Embla wrote:
Veggie Farmer wrote:
Embla wrote:

Haha! I know, I take forever to write, too!
Your last post is very encouraging. And a good reminder that I need to get my planning abilities in order for my future-plans to work out.
AND I just checked out that website of yours - it is fantastic! Went into the bookmarks immediately!

I live in a caravan, so the roof is flat and easy to climb up on. I just keep my tomatoes in pots up there.
I've tried make a little plastic greenhouse-tent for them, but we get huge storms in the summer, so I've given up on trying to make a construction that doesn't blow away. They're doing pretty fine without one though.
There's never an overwhelming produce, maybe between two and four kilos per year - if I remember to take them down on the ground when the storms come in.

Tomatoes on top of the caravan... I am so impressed by your ingenuity! Send a picture of that to the Mother Earth people, they will love it!

You’re already an expert on the most important part of planning - the importance of routines. I admit, it took me a sadly long time, but eventually I learned that if I stick to daily/monthly/yearly schedules, the system runs smoothly without needing too much heavy thinking on my part.

I totally agree with your line about how being with the plants boosts your moods. I know I get antsy when I can’t get outside for more than a day! There has been some research suggesting that regular direct contact with healthy soil helps mild depression as much as anti-depressant medicine.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 12:48 pm

This was the starting idea for Roses for Autism in Connecticut. Then they realized that it would be better to see if those on the spectrum could handle other jobs too, so the business they created has all sorts of jobs, and not just farming roses. Flower arranging, telemarketing, driving the delivery truck, IT/maintaining the web site, processing the roses are some of the jobs I recall.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 11:00 am

Chronos wrote:
It has occurred to me that farming might be a good occupation for someone on the spectrum. Particularly grain farming, because...

LOL nope, not here at least. I'm a farmer's daughter and from following my father I can say that it's not predictable; bad weather can hit you at any time in any form and you have to adapt to it. You can't go and work when you feel like it or when you have planned to do so; you have to work when the nature lets you. This of course means that on some days you can't really get any work done, while on others you might not have any free time in your day, so bye bye routines. Plus, you can never know for sure if your harvest is gonna be good or bad even if you work hard, so it'll also lead to an unpredictable financial situation.

Needless to say that I'm not taking over the family farm once dad retires... :roll:

mitchmaitree
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Feb 2018, 2:47 pm

I never did well with plants because they don't respond and I don't find them very attention-getting. But I raised goats and made cheese for eight years. It was hard work, but I loved it. I don't talk to people easily, but when I was selling cheese at the farmers markets I got to talk about something I cared about-- cheese, and specifically my own cheese!

Pitching bales of hay and carrying feed bags is great exercise, and so is fixing fences, which is good because I don't mind hard work but I have never been able to do exercise at a gym-- it always seemed unproductive and pointless. And for those who like mechanical toys, I had a tractor and a bobcat to help with the big chores. And goats have great personalities and don't care how you talk to them so long as there's food involved.

There can be some sensory issues. The tractors are noisy, but I wore ear protection. They also vibrate a lot, but I put up with that because I enjoyed running them. A cheese that doesn't come out right can be an olfactory nightmare. So is a barn that hasn't been cleaned in a while. Some people might be grossed out by birthing and sewing up wounds on goats (they always seem to find something to cut themselves on), but I loved it. I wasn't so good at the regular cleaning of the cheese operation, of which there was a lot, but others might be. (In my case, I relied on my wife for that.)

The basic routine is very predictable, but as someone else mentioned, there are unpredictable things about it-- like when our whole herd got sick and the vet couldn't figure out why. Or when I had to stay up all night nursing a sick goat. Or when we had rains during haying season and the hay farmers lost a whole crop and we couldn't buy any locally. Or when eight goats all went into labor at the same time! But that just adds a little excitement and keeps it from getting boring.

"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change."

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2018, 8:09 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Chronos wrote:

LOL nope, not here at least. I'm a farmer's daughter and from following my father I can say that it's not predictable; bad weather can hit you at any time in any form and you have to adapt to it. You can't go and work when you feel like it or when you have planned to do so; you have to work when the nature lets you. This of course means that on some days you can't really get any work done, while on others you might not have any free time in your day, so bye bye routines. Plus, you can never know for sure if your harvest is gonna be good or bad even if you work hard, so it'll also lead to an unpredictable financial situation.

Needless to say that I'm not taking over the family farm once dad retires... :roll:

Farming definitely has its challenges, and it sure isn’t the right life for everyone! From your description, I’m guessing your dad runs a big traditional one-crop farm? That is a hard life, being so dependent on getting the right weather and avoiding a bad run of pests, just to hope the market prices don’t crash. The corporate system is very, very stacked against the commodity farmers, they get something like 10% of the price we pay for their hard work at the supermarket. So unfair!

I incorporate some ways to reduce the unpredictability. I grow over three dozen different crops at any given time, so if mold strikes or a heavy rain, at least a few varieties will come through undamaged. Even last year’s hurricane couldn’t knock out most of my growth. (My freaking okra flowered while I was gone evacuated!) I save seed from my best growers, so over time I’ve developed lines that are especially vigorous and well-suited for my local climate. This summer I’m trying a whole variety of melons I’ve never heard of before, but are native to zones 10 and 11 from across the globe. If the human members of the household don’t like them, the chickens will.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2018, 8:18 pm

mitchmaitree wrote:
I never did well with plants because they don't respond and I don't find them very attention-getting. But I raised goats and made cheese for eight years. It was hard work, but I loved it. I don't talk to people easily, but when I was selling cheese at the farmers markets I got to talk about something I cared about-- cheese, and specifically my own cheese!

Pitching bales of hay and carrying feed bags is great exercise, and so is fixing fences, which is good because I don't mind hard work but I have never been able to do exercise at a gym-- it always seemed unproductive and pointless. And for those who like mechanical toys, I had a tractor and a bobcat to help with the big chores. And goats have great personalities and don't care how you talk to them so long as there's food involved.

There can be some sensory issues. The tractors are noisy, but I wore ear protection. They also vibrate a lot, but I put up with that because I enjoyed running them. A cheese that doesn't come out right can be an olfactory nightmare. So is a barn that hasn't been cleaned in a while. Some people might be grossed out by birthing and sewing up wounds on goats (they always seem to find something to cut themselves on), but I loved it. I wasn't so good at the regular cleaning of the cheese operation, of which there was a lot, but others might be. (In my case, I relied on my wife for that.)

The basic routine is very predictable, but as someone else mentioned, there are unpredictable things about it-- like when our whole herd got sick and the vet couldn't figure out why. Or when I had to stay up all night nursing a sick goat. Or when we had rains during haying season and the hay farmers lost a whole crop and we couldn't buy any locally. Or when eight goats all went into labor at the same time! But that just adds a little excitement and keeps it from getting boring.

I’m so envious! I wish I had the space for a herd of goats, and the only cheesemaking I’ve managed so far is basic, boring ricotta!

Can I ask you, is it okay to keep just one goat or maybe two, or do they need a full herd for company? I don’t have much space left in the barn to put more than a pair in bad weather.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 8:20 pm

I'm too much a city boy LOL

But I'm not as bad as Oliver on "Green Acres."

I feel farmers in the US don't get their due. I wish it were better for farmers; it's only fair.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 10:21 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Chronos wrote:

I said "fairly".

There are general times of the year to plant and harvest are there not? I can tell you what is growing in the fields in my area right now, and when, in general, it will be harvested, as well as the risk of a failed harvest (low this year). Some areas have more predictable climates than others.