Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 4:33 pm

I might be having to change jobs/careers soon and I'm apprehensive about it. That got me thinking about what my dream job would be. Not a specific kind of job, but what kind of characteristics would make a job great. Some of the things that come to mind for me:

I could wear noise cancelling headphones to either block out sound or listen to music when and as I see fit.

The environment would be free from chemicals, fragrances and any co-workers that may smell like they took a bath in ashtray juice or have bad halitosis.

Co-workers: optional

Nothing where I would be talking with a lot of people/customers, etc.

Nothing where I would have to touch people. I may be a germophobe.

Repetition would be fine. I like to follow processes rather than rapid decision making mixed with communication.

I can't sit in the same place for extended periods. I need "micro-breaks" to regroup and refocus mentally.

Jeez, I'm a demanding sort, aren't I?

There are some work at home positions in my field but they don't pay very well and I'm burned out in my field as it is.

What would your dream job have or not have?

Last edited by Magna on 23 Jul 2018, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 4:34 pm

Travel writer

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 4:35 pm

Starship Captain.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 4:44 pm

Forest Ranger---but I would need WiFi and a tablet.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 5:02 pm

A few years ago, that question would've made tears well up in my eyes, for all the time and oportunities I've squandered. Now I can't be bothered. But I don't even know if such job exists, and much less if it makes economic sense. I don't dream of being a lifelong moocher—which is what I'll be if I die tomorrow.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 9:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Forest Ranger---but I would need WiFi and a tablet.

I've thought about this too if it was in a cool climate. But...wood ticks or deer ticks, we have a lot of them. I also do NOT like putting on insect repellent.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 7:01 am

blacksmith or bricklayer

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Jul 2018, 4:19 pm

My dream job would be a caretaker/helper/live-in-aid/personal assistant to someone I love. I already am considered a caretaker to my girlfriend so my income won't mess with her Section 8 & other benefits. She would have a major problems living alone so I cant be gone for more than a few hours a day cuz of it so it's true. I don't get paid for it thou but I do live here rent free. I wish we could think of a way for me to get paid alittle something for it. The other person I would like to do that for would be the iCarly star, Miranda Cosgrove. I have a mega huge crush obsession on her :heart: :hic: I had that crush for a couple years before I got with my girlfriend.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 3:30 pm

Maybe a psychologist specializing in autism. Being autistic myself, I could learn so much about myself through this kind of thing and teach others that information. I am aware that being an autistic psychologist who specializes in autistic people may be seen as both good and bad. Autistic advocates may see this as a step forward in including the voices of autistic people in autism-related matters, but "autism parents" may just spurn any of my attempts and offers to help their children. I was inspired by my current psychologist, who is NT but specializes in autism.

My older sister was inspired by me, my autistic self, as I grew up with her. She witnessed all of the stigma I faced when I was younger and now wants to become a psychiatrist, which I might consider becoming as well. If I do end up being either a psychiatrist or a psychologist, I plan on working in the same office as my sister. She wrote in an essay for her college that becoming a psychiatrist would allow her to see the good in people and not the stigma surrounding them, which is actually a reason why I would want to become a psychiatrist as well.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 3:42 pm

warrier120 wrote:
Maybe a psychologist specializing in autism. Being autistic myself, I could learn so much about myself through this kind of thing and teach others that information. I am aware that being an autistic psychologist who specializes in autistic people may be seen as both good and bad. Autistic advocates may see this as a step forward in including the voices of autistic people in autism-related matters, but "autism parents" may just spurn any of my attempts and offers to help their children. I was inspired by my current psychologist, who is NT but specializes in autism.

My older sister was inspired by me, my autistic self, as I grew up with her. She witnessed all of the stigma I faced when I was younger and now wants to become a psychiatrist, which I might consider becoming as well. If I do end up being either a psychiatrist or a psychologist, I plan on working in the same office as my sister. She wrote in an essay for her college that becoming a psychiatrist would allow her to see the good in people and not the stigma surrounding them, which is actually a reason why I would want to become a psychiatrist as well.

I've thought the same about going back to school for psychology to, like you, both learn more about myself and to help others cope with issue's I've had to try to cope with.

I wish you the absolute best in such a wonderful goal if you undertake it to accomplish being able to work with your sister that way. That would be awesome!

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 4:32 pm

Magna wrote:
I've thought the same about going back to school for psychology to, like you, both learn more about myself and to help others cope with issue's I've had to try to cope with.

I wish you the absolute best in such a wonderful goal if you undertake it to accomplish being able to work with your sister that way. That would be awesome!

Thank you! I am planning on taking AP Psychology for my high school junior year. My sister said it's one of the easiest and most fascinating AP classes available at my high school. She also said she really liked the psych teacher too. They did a unit on developmental disorders, which included autism, and explored a bunch of other fascinating things such as newborn reflexes. One of the newborn reflexes is if you hold a newborn baby over a flat surface, they will make walking motions. I am just generally convinced to take AP Psych junior year.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2018, 2:52 am

I would be a seabird biologist.

I would spend much of my time on remote islands with just a few well chosen colleagues. We would probably all be a bunch of misfits with poor social skills and would only really talk about our work or whose turn it was to cook dinner and what were they going to make today.

There would be no need for headphones, except to listen to music when not working, as the only sounds would be the birds, the wind and the music of the sea.

When not working away I would keep myself pretty much to myself and spend my time writing up reports and maybe a book or two. I might attend a few conferences so I could speak to other seabird enthusiasts and keep up with the latest research.

I would of course have an assistant whose primary role would be to obtain funding for me to continue my research.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 3:20 am

Right now with any luck I'm working my way into 3D geospatial software engineering with a hopeful eventual focus on automotive systems or engineering development.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 12:40 am

Mine would be to work in a musical instrument store

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 8:08 am

A couple of weeks ago, the current counselor had the nerve to tell me that, :lol: the ideal job for you is one where you do not have to learn a lot of things :nerdy: .

:jester:

On Friday, Human Resources from the previous internship told me that the boss'boss said that :jester: you are not aware of your surroundings :evil: :evil: . Then the bosses boss allegedly said that I did not communicate well enough for her to feel comfortable with me doing an Excel spreadsheet

The boss and the bosses boss were high school graduates

The Human Resources woman was a community college graduate

I am a University graduate

:roll:

Hate working under someone less educated

The could not multiply 4*5*6

The bosses boss talked too much and too loudly about politics and weight loss

And I could hear her from the other room

But I am not qualified for her job because I can't lift 120pounds. While I have a driver's licence, I am not comfortable driving the company vehicle. Some of them are not Class C. Some vehicles contain flammable liquid. There are some heavy traffic and freeways over there.

My body is weak and I can't work full time

Furthermore I have no STEM skills or degree

Autism

Hearing sensitivity, no loud environments

No driving to work, bad at driving

No driving at work

No jobs that require emotional resilience, such as McDonald's cashier

No talking on the phone, because precious lil :roll: people :roll: grunt :jester: huh :mrgreen: and :mrgreen: what :jester: like it's the etiquette equivalent of :evil: :roll: excuse me :cry:

:jester: 8) :lol: :x :skull:

:ninja: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

No athletically difficult jobs, like construction labor, because I am physically weak

Which pretty much eliminates almost all jobs

:?: What jobs are remaining :?: :?:

Bachelor degree in Cognitive Science

Associates degree in Accounting

Got fired a lot of times

:jester: :roll: :cry:

:mrgreen:

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Please tell me :heart: :nerdy: :skull:

Besides my ideal job is the ideal job of a lot of applicants

Many of those applicants are better skilled than me. Or the Human Resources likes those applicants better than me because the applicants are more normal

:jester: beggars can't be choosers :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:twisted:

Too lazy

No motivation

Why even apply for jobs when almost always they fire me

:jester: :jester:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 3:51 pm

Something with hands on contact with animals, like a shelter, sanctuary or conservation center.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765