cannot find any kind of job in melbourne australia.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

gushingwind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2018, 2:34 pm

i'm at breaking point. i know im capable of doing the work but they all overlook me because i can't interview well. i have maccas experience, volunteer at the RSPCA and cert III in animal studies. i don't have my license yet which doesn't help but i'm working on it. but i feel like if i don't get into something soon i never will because i'll have big gaps on my resume. the australian job market is tough enough for neurotypical people but seeming impossible for autistics. i just wanna be dead honestly. i hate being unemployed, and having a sh***y looking financial future.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 5:31 pm

I wonder if you might consider finding an opening by:

1) write to every vet offering yourself as a temp if their permanent staff are on sick leave or otherwise unavailable, emphasise that you can offer flexible hours and tailor each letter to how they advertise their services

2) sooner or later one of them is going to find themselves in a tight spot and need someone to fill in

3) go all out to provide exceptional service and ask them for a reference and to mention to colleagues that you are now looking for a permanent position

4) continue to send out your letters every year, as vet practices change hands and stuff gets lost or thrown away.

5) If there are particular practices you want to work for, visit with your (clean) old towels and blankets and ask them if they could use them (they really appreciate this). While there produce your card (print some cheaply yourself) and say "I'm still available on call if you need some temp help anytime".

6) In the meantime, you could perhaps make some money providing a minding service for cats whose owners are on holiday.

You don't know whether a kite will fly until you try... so please don't dismiss the possibilities instead of considering and exploring them further... I would love you to succeed :)

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2018, 5:44 pm

I might be able to help..

I live in south east suburbs Melbourne. I've hired 30+ people in my career and after a big self-improvement effort recently achieved selection for a role paying 120k base.

If you want to meet and brainstorm some ideas, I'd be up for that, because I'm looking for ways to contribute to the local ASD community. I'll PM you my number.