This interview question made me uncomfortable

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 4:33 pm

So I was at the interview and they basically ask how "comfortable" I feel around minority children. Now looking at me, it's obvious I'm pretty white, but I was raised in a town where over half the people are minorities, I've dated almost all minority men, I am even married to a Hispanic man (and I mentioned that too and "hablo un poco espanol" though I am not fluent yet). So I find this question sad that they have to ask a white woman if she would feel okay teaching minority children. Maybe because of my upbringing I see them as just people too?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 4:53 pm

I guess if I was answering this question I would respond with

"I am an Aspie and one of the positive traits of an Aspie is that we tends to be free from bias and discrimination based on race, gender, age or other differences. We judge people based on their behavior not the color of their skin, socioeconomic status or political influence."

Now that is the long answer but I would probably use the shortened version and say, "I have no problem with working with minorities."

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 5:45 pm

The rest of the interview was okay though. Anyway tomorrow morning I have a phone interview with the one that would require me to relocate within the state and Friday the far off one's phone interview. We'll see.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2018, 7:52 pm

Congratulations on everything so far!

Yes, such a question may seem odd, but as long as you didn't get all indignant and angsty, no one should think poorly of you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 8:03 am

Angnix wrote:
So I was at the interview and they basically ask how "comfortable" I feel around minority children. Now looking at me, it's obvious I'm pretty white, but I was raised in a town where over half the people are minorities, I've dated almost all minority men, I am even married to a Hispanic man (and I mentioned that too and "hablo un poco espanol" though I am not fluent yet). So I find this question sad that they have to ask a white woman if she would feel okay teaching minority children. Maybe because of my upbringing I see them as just people too?

I would say something that you are a quality worker who believes in cultural diversity and as a wife of a hispanic husband, I believe that I would be able to bring a new spin on cultural competency.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 9:37 am

Actually the interview I had this morning wasn't that great... It wasn't what I thought it was as a job. The one I had the interview with yesterday I think I would have more of a chance, wouldn't require me to move from my current location and pays more too. The one I have on Friday with the people in Seattle would actually fit better, but the local one fits the most.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 9:48 am

If you feel "comfortable" around minority children, just tell them you feel "comfortable." Plain and simple.

Actually, I find this a pertinent question. You still have lots of racists around.

I'm sorry your felt uncomfortable with the question.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 7:27 pm

Oh, and I dressed business casual and the interviewer was wearing a t-shirt and blue jeans... She apologized to me she left her more formal attire at home accidentally, made me feel kinda overdressed though.