Worried I'll be forced to return back to previous job.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Adventure4U1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Aug 2018, 7:09 am

I spent most of my summer working in fast food and recently quit. I'm going back to college, but I keep worrying that once I finish college- I'm studying accounting- I won't find a single office or retail position and be forced to return to a job that completey stressed me out.

MissxVenomxPoison
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2018, 9:41 pm

I know how you feel, last summer I worked at Tim Horton's and quit because I could no longer handle the stress and isolation. I am awaiting surgery before going back to work but am scared of being forced back into fast food.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 9:56 pm

Adventure4U1 wrote:
I spent most of my summer working in fast food and recently quit. I'm going back to college, but I keep worrying that once I finish college- I'm studying accounting- I won't find a single office or retail position and be forced to return to a job that completey stressed me out.

Is accounting a particularly difficult field to get a job in?

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2018, 11:09 pm

I can relate. I am going to law school now on a full ride... but I still think it might be for not. I never minded my old job and I probably can easily go right back to it... but it basically requires me to live with my parents forever which is hardly idea.

Adventure4U1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2018, 8:44 am

Thank you guys. I was at school, and my laptop doesn't really let me log in to this site, so I haven't had a chance to respond to any of you. I'm home for the weekend, school's only 20 minutes away- I mostly live on campus so I don't have to worry about being late for class. (And the independence is awesome!)

Chronos, accounting's not a difficult field to get into. It's just that I live in Clarkston, Michigan and all the office jobs are not right around where I live. Since I don't' drive, I'd have to relay on my parents help, and given how many times they've made me late when I was commuting, I consider them the most unreliable transit. More unreliable then my school's Bear Bus.

That's why after college is over, I may have to get out of Michigan for good. Go to Minnesota. I heard one of the Twin cities is the best city for accountants- and the other one is the best cities for writers. Harsh winters don't bother me- I love the cold.

I suppose all I have to do now is hope nobody in Florida dares to hire me. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2018, 9:18 am

OP: what is it that's forcing you not to drive?

I'm not "against" you not driving. I'm not judging you because you don't drive. I didn't drive myself until my late 30s----but being able to drive provides many people (especially in the US and Canada) more opportunities all around.

Adventure4U1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2018, 10:43 am

You know your right. It doesn't help that I actuatlly want to drive- wanted to drive since high school. It never happened, my parents never taught me. My siblings are all younger then me- and aside from one who's not old enough yet- they all drive. I suppose that's why I'm often playing Mario Kart Wii and I hate self driving cars.

My Mom's apparently frightened that I'll kill somebody on the road- but I'm more scared of not knowing how to drive and then getting stuck with somebody who's drunk being my only ride home- I'm also scared of having a kid who's terrified of flying/trains/buses and that's OUR only way to go places.

At the current moment, the best I can do is try to find a job in a north city. Minnesota, Boston, New York. And know that bright side of not driving- is being able to truly enjoy Winter.

TempeFan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Sep 2018, 9:32 pm

Accounting seems like a better choice for an Aspie. Dealing with numbers is more fun and logical and less stressful than dealing with people. You still need to find a mentor/boss/coworker/etc who will help you interface between clients and staff who are invidious.

Adventure4U1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2018, 10:06 am

Right. Only the office jobs are too far away and I don't drive, consider my parents unreliable, and keep getting more frightened by the day of being stuck in fast food next summer and then after graduating. I don't want to be in a job that's going to destroy my life and make me a ticking tomb bomb. Working in fast foot would be worst then death.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 12:19 pm

How about looking for jobs in cities where you can affordably live in without having a car?

JDBPhotos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2018, 12:12 pm

My advice, for what it's worth, is to try to minimize your focus on what things "might be like" and focus on those things that can advance change. Focus on getting an internship or contacts in the industry you want to go in to. There are plenty of groups and organizations out there. Toastmasters, Small Biz offices, accounting specialization trade groups. You'd be surprised that the best thing you can do to find a job is to network. Granted, it might be difficult, but think (not focus) on the alternatives. Train yourself to be the best that you can be (not the best in the industry) at what your chosen path might be. It will serve you well. Also learn another language. It might sound strange, but you'd be amazed at positions that you might get because you have a second language (Spanish, French, Chinese, ect) over another candidate. If your are able, take some time to learn to drive, it will expand your prospects. If not, Uber and ride shares are always an option.

You got this! You can do it!

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 2:51 pm

Retail jobs are a dime a dozen, so are warehouse with the seasonal jobs being available. Fast food certainly is not anyone's only option.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

Adventure4U1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2018, 11:30 am

BTDT: That is my intention. I'm hoping after college to move into the Twin Cities. They are cheaper then New York and the focus is accounting. They have mostly Fortune 500 firms, lots of offices. Given the fact I mostly enjoy school I don't think the meetings would bother me too much- I think I'm well suited for office work. (I'd only have trouble if they didn't let me use the restroom when I needed to use it.

Homer: Thanks. I actuatlly attempted to work at a gardening store over this summer, but my mom freaked out about the chemicals being used- personally, I have a feeling I would have enjoyed that job better. I did some plant stuff at the job before work and it wasn't so draining.

JDBPhotos: Driving is not an option at the moment, though it may be in the future. Networking is tough when you're stuck at home most of the time and don't have a car. I've tried to learn Spanish in college- didn't work out. I hope that I don't get hired for jobs I'm overqualified for after graduation.

bellapines
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Oct 2018, 4:36 am

You'll be just fine. Aspies are well suited to accounting, we are good with numbers and patterns. Every industry has an army of accountants squirrelled away and tax returns are so complicated that free lance work is around too.

Stay on track, try to focus on your studies instead of what could go wrong. The more you focus on the worst case scenario, the more energy you feed it. Stay on target and remind yourself you are on the right track.

Adventure4U1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2018, 10:15 pm

Thanks. I thing the thing I'm most worried about though is getting a job offer in another state and having my parents tell me I can't do that. Or not being able to find an apartment in the other state to live in. (I haven't been able to build up my credit score credit)

I know there's only one State where I also have family that if I can find a job there, I do have support. Not the same as what I have here, but I suppose it'd be good there too. As I have about 2 more years left, I will start applying for jobs in a year.