Where can I get my resume looked over for free?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2018, 12:46 pm

So I'm rabidly looking for a job and I think my resume isn't doing the work it should be trying to sell me as a decent hire. Is there some sort of free service anywhere that can give my resume a look over to see what I can do to improve it?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 3:21 pm

In the US, most cities have a workforce development agency that has job listings as well as services to job seekers. I'm sure someone there would be willing to give your resume a look over. You probably have something similar in Canada.

Of more concern than your resume is your infection with rabies. Have you sought medical attention? I strongly recommend it.

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2018, 7:54 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
In the US, most cities have a workforce development agency that has job listings as well as services to job seekers. I'm sure someone there would be willing to give your resume a look over. You probably have something similar in Canada.

Of more concern than your resume is your infection with rabies. Have you sought medical attention? I strongly recommend it.

.... ? What?

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2018, 7:58 pm

I just looked at the message I posted and I get it.

The doctor says I'm fine.

Been out of it for the last week so please forgive me.

Heatsink
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2018, 7:12 am

I have had to wade through CVs/resumés as part of one of my earlier incarnations.

From mine, and my ex partner's experiences, it's the REPETITIVE, DULL, ILL THOUGHT OUT, DULL, BORING, DID I SAY DULL?..... Same old same old rubbish..

So Number 1.......

Stand out.
Obviously if you want a position as CEO of the world bank then writing it in multi coloured ink on children's wallpaper may go against you.

Keep it simple and easily read with complex details out of the way of important facts.

Know your target and write each CV for the job you are applying for. If you receive a pro forma letter or email it is usually obvious.

Don't be frightened to be different so long as you back it up.

You have 3 to 5 seconds to impress and that's not always the heading or top lines.

Layout, colour, font, images..... An image can make a big difference because the reader will remember it.
Again tailored specifically to the target audience.

If you can find out who may be reading the document by asking the HR department in advance about their interview policy. Call & say you are doing an article on interview techniques or CVs and ask to speak to their team. Use a random phone and don't give anything away. Anything to get the advantage over the competition.

If you just want a job go to a burger bar but if you want THE job put in effort that separates you from the rest.

Then if you get to interview and it isn't quite going well you can bombshell them with your investigated knowledge.

I got a call back from an employer within 3 minutes of sending an email application that I attached "A guide to metric nuts and bolts.pdf" because my CV was in docx and I couldn't be bothered to convert it. I got the job and was regarded as something of a star from day one, I negotiated a pay deal and terms that nobody else had. All because I thought 'to hell with CVs'.