Page 4 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 3:00 pm

Fos11 wrote:
Why not one full time job?
Wacky class schedule -- mornings, afternoons, and evenings -- never the same time on two consecutive days.

hurtloam wrote:
I do think fnord meant he had part time work on 3 separate occasions as did I.
No, I meant three part-time jobs during each semester.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2018, 3:01 pm

So how many hours per weeks?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 3:03 pm

Fos11 wrote:
So how many hours per weeks?
It varied between 20 and 39 (total), depending on the job and my class schedule. That was so I could take time off during exam weeks.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 3:05 pm

My cleaning job was 10 hours a week.

My second job was 3 full days a week.

My third job was every day 9am - 2pm.

Then I felt able to take a full time job.

After that I felt confident enough to go a college course and studied full time and random part time jobs. Cleaning, call centres, office work.

Since leaving college I've been able to handle full time work and I've been doing that for 10 years

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2018, 3:06 pm

Are you on food stamps and pther welfare programs? Or were you?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 3:11 pm

Fos11 wrote:

No I never qualified for benefits.

Except for the month after I left college and was unemployed.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2018, 3:14 pm

I fear that i will never bei able to live independent.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 3:15 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Fos11 wrote:
No I never qualified for benefits. Except for the month after I left college and was unemployed.
I received Food Stamps while stationed on shore in the Navy. The upper echelon tried to shame me out of it, but I made sure that other sailors who were qualified also received them.

After uni and the military, working full time (40-50 hours per week) is a snap!

Fos11 wrote:
I fear that i will never bei able to live independent.
So now I gotta ask a sharp question: Are you looking for solutions or sympathy?

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2018, 3:18 pm

I do live in switzerland. yes switzerland ist certainly rich. But that doesnt matter if you're unable to work, or only unskilled Positionspapier.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 3:26 pm

What's wrong with unskilled positions? Are you qualified for something better? Or is "unskilled" beneath your dignity?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 3:34 pm

Why don't you start with baby steps Fos.

First just look at what jobs are available in your local area. Let your parents know that you are looking.

See if there is something there that you think you can do. There's been good suggestions in thist thread. Shelf stacking, shopping cart collecting, kitchen work, cleaning.

That's the first step.

Independence comes many steps down the road. But you won't know if you can get there unless you try the first steps.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2018, 3:39 pm

Yes unskilled work is soul crushing, dont you think? Besides there are not many unskilled jobs left. And it pays low.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 4:03 pm

Fos11 wrote:
Yes unskilled work is soul crushing, dont you think? Besides there are not many unskilled jobs left. And it pays low.
"Soul-Crushing?" That is what you call unskilled work? Do you know what your parents, your grandparents called unskilled work?

"Opportunity."

That's right. Every job you get is a new opportunity. You get to learn a little something about the job, and a lot of something about yourself -- the most important being that you can do it!

Every job is also a stepping-stone to a better job. Do you expect to start off in a corner office on the top floor with everyone else underneath you doing all the work so that you look good to the shareholders?

Ain't gonna happen.

The first job I ever had was sweeping out an appliance store. Then I helped a customer make a purchase. Then the manager gave me a commission and I became a salesperson. Then I started taking the appliance manuals home to study them. Then I helped a customer trouble-shoot a problem. Then the owner made me a service technician. Soon I was making house calls and deliveries. At the age of 18, I had the choices of working full time, or continuing to work part-time and going up for college. I took the college route.

I am grateful for that first opportunity to sweep a showroom floor, because I can trace a direct line from there to where I am today -- Systems Engineer with an MSEE. Along the way, I picked up more skills than most people, and certainly more skills than anyone who has never worked at all.

Start at the bottom and work your way up. That's just how it goes.

Fos11
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2018, 4:11 pm

Do you know how many unskilled workers stay unskilled for their lifetime? Rags to riches is a capitalistic lie. Most poor people stay poor. Unskilled work is more often than not, not an opportunity. As i said, rags to riches doesnt happens that offen. Of course you will not start at the top. But sweeping floors is not a career, and you cant live Off such a meager wage. Rich people had mostly rich or atleast well of ancestors

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 4:27 pm

Fos11 wrote:
Do you know how many unskilled workers stay unskilled for their lifetime?
No. Do you? Please provide citations.
Fos11 wrote:
Rags to riches is a capitalistic lie.
Are you calling me a liar?
Fos11 wrote:
Most poor people stay poor.
Most poor people would not know an opportunity if it slapped them up-side the face.
Fos11 wrote:
Unskilled work is more often than not, not an opportunity.
Au contraire! Unskilled work gets you in the door. What you do once you get in is up to you. Don't just sweep the floor, learn why the floor needs to be swept -- learn everything that goes on upon that floor you sweep.
Fos11 wrote:
As i said, rags to riches doesnt happens that offen.
Rags to incredible wealth may not happen often, but rags to middle-class living does.
Fos11 wrote:
Of course you will not start at the top.
First sensible thing you've said in this entire thread.
Fos11 wrote:
But sweeping floors is not a career, and you cant live Off such a meager wage.
Teel that to the uncountable number of custodians and janitors who have married, raised kids, paid off mortgages, and retired.
Fos11 wrote:
Rich people had mostly rich or atleast well of ancestors
No, that is a myth. If every rich person became rich only because he or she had a rich ancestor, then what did the first rich person have? Initiative, that's what! Do you think that the first rich person looked around and said "No one else is rich, so I'm not gonna try"? No, he or she likely said something like "I will make myself wealthier than anyone else around me".

YOU are your biggest obstacle.

Lil_miss_lois
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2018, 4:29 pm

So what do you want to Do?!

My first job was selling shots at clubs, I got 30p per shot sold. I hated it, it was loud and sweaty and men made me feel unsafe.
But I earned enough to get myself through uni.

Now I run a company alongside my partner. He built the company from scratch, started with a fiver. We now bring in about a quarter of a million. But we both had to put ALOT of work in.

What do you do with your typical day?