Accidently made said a discriminatory comment?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2018, 6:51 pm

I accidently made a discriminatory comment at work and someone overhead and gpt offended, i also heard someone else say they'll be a witness. Am i likely to loose my job or just get a warning. Its McDonalds if that helps

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 12:09 am

I'd need more details, before hazarding a guess. What was your comment?

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2018, 2:51 am

BeaArthur wrote:
I'd need more details, before hazarding a guess. What was your comment?

Some men are pigs

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 4:23 am

Some men ARE pigs. It may have been discriminatory to say ALL men are pigs... I heard that a few times in the workplace but it never bothered me.
Anyone who complains about what you said is pathetic... I hope you are worrying unnecessarily (if you see what I mean) and all this comes to nothing.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2018, 4:28 am

Trueno wrote:
Some men ARE pigs. It may have been discriminatory to say ALL men are pigs... I heard that a few times in the workplace but it never bothered me.
Anyone who complains about what you said is pathetic... I hope you are worrying unnecessarily (if you see what I mean) and all this comes to nothing.

Someone got really offendes by what i said and i overheard a manager saying I'll be a witness is why I'm worried

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 4:38 am

I'm very sorry about that. He/she (probably a he) wasn't really offended... they have some other agenda which may not even be anything to do with you... or maybe they just don't like you. Very poor management as well. I hope it all fizzles away... that's what deserves to happen.

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2018, 4:43 am

Trueno wrote:
I'm very sorry about that. He/she (probably a he) wasn't really offended... they have some other agenda which may not even be anything to do with you... or maybe they just don't like you. Very poor management as well. I hope it all fizzles away... that's what deserves to happen.

Do you think that ill get in trouble at the least or worse comes to worse fired

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 5:47 am

I can't possibly give a definite answer, but from the information you've given I'd say no. In my opinion I think you're being bullied and the people involved should know better. If they want to give you some sort of formal warning then smile and nod. Thing is, I'm 62 years old and I've had decades of this sort of stuff and I won't put up with it any more. In your position you might be better just to put up with it for a little while.
It's easy to say, but try not to worry about it too much.

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2018, 8:37 am

Trueno wrote:
I can't possibly give a definite answer, but from the information you've given I'd say no. In my opinion I think you're being bullied and the people involved should know better. If they want to give you some sort of formal warning then smile and nod. Thing is, I'm 62 years old and I've had decades of this sort of stuff and I won't put up with it any more. In your position you might be better just to put up with it for a little while.
It's easy to say, but try not to worry about it too much.

Pretty hard not to when i have anxiety

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 9:47 am

Any rational person would not give “some men are pigs” a second thought. I certainly wouldn’t. Most people wouldn’t. Do you get along okay with your manager?

I don’t feel you will get fired over this. If you do, it would be ridiculous.

Are you in higher education....so you can get out of the retail/food service type of crap jobs?

I’m sorry you’re feeling so anxious.

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2018, 11:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Any rational person would not give “some men are pigs” a second thought. I certainly wouldn’t. Most people wouldn’t. Do you get along okay with your manager?

I don’t feel you will get fired over this. If you do, it would be ridiculous.

Are you in higher education....so you can get out of the retail/food service type of crap jobs?

I’m sorry you’re feeling so anxious.

I get along with the store and assistant managers just fine, i dont think the one that said about being a witness likes me much. I was working at McDonalds to save up gor college actually. I asked one of tge assistant managers in private though, she seemed to think that the store manager would get my side of the story first, if she actually hears about it. I suspect I'll just get a warning if tha, when she gets back

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 11:38 am

Reasons why a remark like this could cause problems: 1. Makes an uncomfortable work environment for "some men". 2. If a customer overheard this, it makes the restaurant seem like a nasty, negative place.

So, did this remark happen in front of any customers? I actually think that could be the more concerning issue as far as management is concerned.