Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2007
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,557
Location: Michigan

26 Jan 2019, 9:50 pm

I know that we have an apartment lease... But I still look at specific job posting websites for jobs in my field. I just saw one that is so tempting posted by a non-profit I worked for in the past... I mostly fit the bill for the job because it is a raptor (bird of prey not dinosaur lol) education full time permanent position and I had two jobs specifically about raptors in the past... But the barriers are that I need a vehicle, and the job is in another state and would involve breaking a lease and finding a new home! Usually raptor-related jobs at least interview me but I would have to explain my lack of work and why my last job failed. Ugggghhhhh so very tempting!


_________________
Crazy Bird Lady


Sheila Nye
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 93
Location: The Interwebz

26 Jan 2019, 10:23 pm

Breaking a lease in order to relocate for work is something that people can do.

Finding a car is also something that people can do.

I think applying for the job would be cool.


_________________
"I am what I am and what I am needs no excuses."
~La Cage aux Folles


BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Aug 2015
Posts: 4,922

28 Jan 2019, 10:50 pm

You don't need to relocate until you get a solid job offer - in writing. (Even if you've worked for them in the past, you need the offer in writing.)

Then you can either find a sub-lettor, or buy your way out of your lease. It would require negotiating with your landlord. Don't waste your time and theirs before ever getting an offer.

Some jobs even pay something toward relocation assistance (moving costs, down payment on a place to live, etc.) which is something you would negotiate with the employer, AFTER they offer you the job. (And before you negotiate getting out of your lease.)

If you are confident you could do this job and your husband is willing to relocate, then it could be a great opportunity.

Not very long ago though, you were feeling tied down because you didn't want to leave him alone, given his medical problems. Are you being realistic about holding a full-time job? What if he needed to be in the hospital? Are you, yourself, emotionally stable enough to juggle both the husband and the job?


_________________
Gone.


Alita
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 867
Location: Surrounded by water

29 Jan 2019, 12:59 pm

Sheila Nye wrote:
Breaking a lease in order to relocate for work is something that people can do.

Finding a car is also something that people can do.

I think applying for the job would be cool.


I second this. I relocated for work and had a blast. The job didn't last longer than a year, but the memories will last forever (btw, I didn't love the job - you probably will).


_________________
"There once was a little molecule who dreamed of being part of the crest of a high wave..."
(From the story 'The Little Molecule' - Amazon Kindle, 2013)


Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2007
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,557
Location: Michigan

29 Jan 2019, 10:32 pm

My husband is currently in a nursing home for awhile and they said if I went to work I would need to hire someone to help out. And I know I shouldn't do anything until I get a job offer.

I explained in my cover letter why I was out of work for such a long period of time and why I lost my last job to get that crap out of the way. I got an email back saying they are accepting resumes until March but they will get back in touch with me after that date. The job involves taking raptors to schools and stuff and teaching about them, and taking care of raptors. My first raptor job I took care of them and used them in a few programs. My second one with the same non-profit I went out to schools and taught about raptors but I didn't have a live raptor with me. I ALMOST got a job in Ohio with the raptor department of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium and they didn't hire me cause I said in the interview I was looking for a temp job but the job was permanent and I didn't know and I thought I was being intereviewed for a seasonal position!! !

And in the past I've relocated for jobs all the time, all temporary jobs. Most gave housing but one I had to find my own housing. I'm from Michigan and live there now but I've worked in order: Pennsylvania, Maryland, Texas, Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois (briefly).

Maryland crab cakes are much better than Texas crab cakes, hands down...


_________________
Crazy Bird Lady


Alita
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 867
Location: Surrounded by water

30 Jan 2019, 5:02 pm

Angnix wrote:
My husband is currently in a nursing home for awhile and they said if I went to work I would need to hire someone to help out. And I know I shouldn't do anything until I get a job offer.

I explained in my cover letter why I was out of work for such a long period of time and why I lost my last job to get that crap out of the way. I got an email back saying they are accepting resumes until March but they will get back in touch with me after that date. The job involves taking raptors to schools and stuff and teaching about them, and taking care of raptors. My first raptor job I took care of them and used them in a few programs. My second one with the same non-profit I went out to schools and taught about raptors but I didn't have a live raptor with me. I ALMOST got a job in Ohio with the raptor department of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium and they didn't hire me cause I said in the interview I was looking for a temp job but the job was permanent and I didn't know and I thought I was being intereviewed for a seasonal position!! !

And in the past I've relocated for jobs all the time, all temporary jobs. Most gave housing but one I had to find my own housing. I'm from Michigan and live there now but I've worked in order: Pennsylvania, Maryland, Texas, Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois (briefly).

Maryland crab cakes are much better than Texas crab cakes, hands down...


Sorry to hear about your husband. You sound like you have your plate full. You've certainly been to a lot of places. 8O

Could you find a job with raptors closer to home?


_________________
"There once was a little molecule who dreamed of being part of the crest of a high wave..."
(From the story 'The Little Molecule' - Amazon Kindle, 2013)


Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2007
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,557
Location: Michigan

30 Jan 2019, 9:40 pm

Alita wrote:
Angnix wrote:
My husband is currently in a nursing home for awhile and they said if I went to work I would need to hire someone to help out. And I know I shouldn't do anything until I get a job offer.

I explained in my cover letter why I was out of work for such a long period of time and why I lost my last job to get that crap out of the way. I got an email back saying they are accepting resumes until March but they will get back in touch with me after that date. The job involves taking raptors to schools and stuff and teaching about them, and taking care of raptors. My first raptor job I took care of them and used them in a few programs. My second one with the same non-profit I went out to schools and taught about raptors but I didn't have a live raptor with me. I ALMOST got a job in Ohio with the raptor department of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium and they didn't hire me cause I said in the interview I was looking for a temp job but the job was permanent and I didn't know and I thought I was being intereviewed for a seasonal position!! !

And in the past I've relocated for jobs all the time, all temporary jobs. Most gave housing but one I had to find my own housing. I'm from Michigan and live there now but I've worked in order: Pennsylvania, Maryland, Texas, Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois (briefly).

Maryland crab cakes are much better than Texas crab cakes, hands down...


Sorry to hear about your husband. You sound like you have your plate full. You've certainly been to a lot of places. 8O

Could you find a job with raptors closer to home?


Heh, those are VERY rare jobs...


_________________
Crazy Bird Lady


Alita
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 867
Location: Surrounded by water

31 Jan 2019, 5:07 pm

Maybe something related? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. (I hope that doesn't sound trite - it's just you never know, right?) Don't lose hope. :)


_________________
"There once was a little molecule who dreamed of being part of the crest of a high wave..."
(From the story 'The Little Molecule' - Amazon Kindle, 2013)