Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

james01
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2006, 9:10 pm

Man, life sure is hard. I just wished I could be normal like most people. I'll try to make this short. I have autisim, I haven't been professionally diagnosed, maybe I'm just a little slow. I just don't know for sure. I ended up dropping out of high school in the 9th grade, so I have no HSD which makes it harder to get a job. I'm over 18 and I'm looking for any job that doesn't require a HSD and that doesn't require a whoile lot of social interaction. Maybe someone that knows more about this sort of stuff and help me find work. Thanks.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2006, 5:15 am

If you can read and write reasonably well, there are research type jobs where you can work with someone else who does the people skills thing, while you just look up information.

There are jobs in PR and Media and Market Research that involve going through the newspapers, internet, radio and TV, and collecting all the information on a particular subject, a company, product, person etc. Someone has to go through the newspapers and clip out all the bits related to a topic that a customer wants.

I reckon that doesn't take a high school graduate.

But really - what kinds of things are you most interested in. This is where you should be looking for jobs. My favourite book on how to get a job is

"What color is my parachute" by Richard Bolles. It has a work book section with weird little exercises to determine what you are good at and where your interests are, it also has several sections on how to find the job you want, and how to present yourself to get it. Classifieds on the internet and in the paper are not the way to go here.

There is a website that goes with the book too - http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/
It includes more stuff and stuff that changes frequently that isn't in the book.

You may also be perfect for jobs like gardening - but I've got no idea since I don't know what you are interested in.

Once you get your job you might want to take notice of what is written here...
http://www.heartless-bitches.com/bi/bit ... un06.shtml

And I'd suggest avoiding jobs that involve "cold calling" or retail, ie selling things.

StayLucid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2019, 11:06 am

Do they have any staffing agencies where you are? All major cities have them and a lot of the smaller cities too. The recruiters working at these agencies get a commission on every person they place in a job, so they are very motivated to "sell" you to their clients. Some jobs are temporary, but 90 days temp to hire is the norm. It's an easy way to get your foot in the door, and give it a try. Once you are in, if the job is a good fit, they can take you on as permanent. Or you could just keep trying different things till you find something you really like. I went to one in my city and they literally had me working the very next day in the factory that makes the dough for PapaJohns. I went to another and they had me working that week in a warehouse. I didn't like the warehouse and they connected me with a job wiring railroad signal equipment. I have experience with electrical so they sent me. I didn't fit socially though and so I ended up putting in my two weeks. They have since offered me several more positions. Once agency literally sends me emails every day with open jobs.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 4:11 pm

Plenty of jobs don't require high school diploma

Construction

Carpenter

Auto mechanic

Date entry

Singer

Actor

Writer

:heart: President of United States :heart:

:mrgreen:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 May 2019, 7:00 am

My parents insisted I needed a high-skewl diploma in order to get a job & they refused to let me drop out giving that reason. However none of the job apps I put in had a section asking about high-skewl. There's a spot for college but NO spot for high-skewl. The kinds of jobs I've had & done were things like custodian & dish-washer. I've had a lot of social interaction as a custodian because I worked retail while the stores were open but since I was a custodian instead of a stocker or something the customers didn't really expect me to know everything. I just found someone else to assist. Other custodian type positions at other places are done after hours sometimes so there would be less social interaction. Being a dish-washer didn't require much social interaction because I was in back of the house most of the time. I just dealt with other workers. Being a cook would have a little more social interaction but it would be limited to the other workers & it shouldn't require a diploma if it's at a chain place. You would have to be able to read tickets thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:13 am

Obtaining a high school diploma or equivalent is important. They have GED [General Educational Development] test that can provide you with an equivalent diploma that will open many doors for employment. Also there are on-line testing to allow you to work through he courses you missed. But if you dropped out in 9th grade that is a lot of make-up to do.

Here are a few links for jobs that do not require a high school diploma:

Best Jobs For High School Dropouts

Top Jobs

What Kind of Jobs Can You Get With No High School Diploma?

10 Great Jobs for High School Dropouts

When I was in High School and in College, I worked. So the type of jobs that employ students seems like they might apply.
I worked as a store clerk in a 5 and dime store.
I worked as warehouseman in a large warehouse.
I did some construction putting together metal buildings.
I worked as a parking lot attendant.

There are many trade jobs that might be available. But many of them will be looking for individuals with the proper skill set. Which is like a catch 22 situation. You can get a job if you know the job but if you don't have any experience the door is closed to you.

Here is a link for steps to follow to get a job without a diploma.

Can You Get a Great Paying Job Without a High School Diploma?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:15 am

Get the G.E.D. That should be your one and only focus for now.

Without a G.E.D. or an H.S.D., your chances of even getting a job in the fast-food industry are slim to none.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:21 am

In the 13 years since his original post, the OP may have gotten a GED, or several jobs, or even a college degree. Or he may have become a skid row drunk.

Necrobump.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:23 am

BeaArthur wrote:
... Necrobump.
Dang it! Got caught up in another one!

:evil:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.