Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 5:35 pm

If it's a magnet school, there probably is an AP choice for many courses.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:16 pm

The school might be in a "good" area of Detroit, but looking at reviews/test scores it seems to be facing many inner city school problems, like low test scores/high absenteeism, etc, kinda sad...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2019, 6:28 pm

That's why they need you to make a difference. :) You can make things exciting for the pupils. :)

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 10:24 am

Whew... I didn't mention the other one but I had two job interviews this morning (this one and a Americorps position) and also I got word that we were approved for help in the home...

The Detroit one they informed me was the final interview. They said they are making a decision within a week.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 10:33 am

I hope you get the Detroit position.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 5:10 pm

I'm having doubts about Detroit job but that was mostly after talk therapist told me it was a bad idea... And mental health caseworker told me don't leave town (same person that refered me to Goodwill)

Stress is bad for my mental health, would high school teacher be too much stress?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 5:28 pm

That's a hard one to answer. In the past I worked 9 years on the railway. The shifts were actually quite long as we did around 50 hours a week, but were paid for 35 hour weeks. However, this gave us a free week off with pay to recover every 7 weeks or sometimes 6 weeks. So the extra hours went into this week off. And we really needed the week off when we got there! Also the shifts were ever changing so nearly every day was a different start time and the start times went right round the clock and back again. Also though the work itself is not too bad physically speaking, the constantly being on the move working a moving train does make one tired along with constantly dealing with people.
Now I don't know how I was able to keep it up for 9 years. I had to leave then though as I was soo soo tired and the rest days were not enough for my body to recover... Lack of sleep as I couldn't sleep when I needed to etc....

But what I am saying is that though the work was quite stressful at times, because trains and railways was my number one hobby (Special interest if I am not on the spectrum which I don't know! Probably a special interest anyway.. Haha! As I have always liked trains from about a year or two old onwards and I still do today). Because I like trains it seemed to cover or deaden some of the stress. You will find that if you get to work in what is also your hobby, pay hardly comes into it as you will likely do it anyway!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 1:38 pm

Ugg I'm tired... Had that Detroit interview a week ago and they said they would follow up within a week but I haven't heard from them. I sent them a quick note, but maybe they offered it to someone else?

Had another interview today, a zoo is hiring 15 part time AmeriCorps members... One year position but the stipend sucks (about 500/month) but well I would get to keep disability and actual zoo experience is hard to come by... Hmmm ...

Another full time AmeriCorps position contacted me a week ago and said if they are interested they will contact me again within the next two weeks...

But I don't know if I should be pursuing this stuff, my husband went to an appointment and basically the news is his spinal cord in his neck is atrophying... So that's why he can't walk well :x like how could I abandon him when he's having problems like that...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 1:50 pm

Hats off to you, Angnix. Regardless of what happens, you've worked so hard applying for jobs and being organised for interviews that you amaze me. That takes a lot of fortitude, so I applaud you. I've lost track of which job is which other than the High School Zoology program, but I'm sure you'll find the job that's meant to be.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 2:04 pm

Yes. You need to stay with your husband if you can. But I think it is amazing that you are looking and finding possible jobs. :) And if it does not work out, do not worry. You may never know unless you try it.
Enjoy. :)

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2019, 8:03 am

Just caught up on your job search. I say, take any zoo or animal related job you can to get your foot in there.

I have read that it’s good to ask what you can improve on if you don’t get through an interview. Now years ago I did actually have to hire people periodically, so I was thinking about that advice and whether it is practical. I don’t think it is. Because if the hiring people tell you the truth the are leaving themselves liable.

If you don’t get something, I would make a note or diagram of it and put next to it what your gut instinct of where you didn’t measure up was. Like if you got a sense that they were surprised when they saw you in person, or if they were excited and then they asked about a certain type of experience and didn’t seem as excited about your answer. Then you could look at how to tweak things.

I also wanted to point out that your relationship with your husband looks to me like an indication of your greatest strength-like you know they always ask that. People are usually like, “I’m a hard worker...” (sure...) It sounds to me like YOU are DEVOTED. Whatever you are committed to, a job, an animal, a person, you pour yourself into 100%, and don’t stop until it’s taken care of. I would highlight that strength in interviews.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 2:31 pm

Detroit school job just informed me they hired someone else..... Oh well.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 8:05 pm

Don't worry. Plenty of other opportunities... Maybe some which are ideal.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 1:18 pm

Me and hubby walked over to thrift store to follow up on application. Manager said she was planning on calling me later today to set up an interview time, she was too busy at the moment to do it but she promised to call later.

The home help lady came and asked questions... Basically they are sending someone to help short term starting later this week.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 1:26 pm

How much would they pay you. I hope this isn't a Goodwill sort of thing that pays less than the minimum wage.

Then again....as I think about it....maybe you won't get as much pressure, and you can make extra money that won't threaten your benefits.

But....since you are seeking jobs which are in your field, this means that you're confident that you can transcend what the naysayers are saying about you.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 12:24 pm

The job is minimum wage. It wouldn't erase all my benefits. I just got back from the interview actually. The advantages are it's VERY close to where I live, my husband knows the guy that runs the place and the manager turned out to be his daughter and heard of my husband before lol. It's a nice thrift store. What happened is someone quit on them. They will tell me if I'm hired tomorrow or Friday at the latest Monday and they want someone that can start right away. I used to be a cashier at a small store before, I liked that job and wouldn't mind this one :D