04 Aug 2019, 12:30 pm

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 2:23 pm

blackomen wrote:
I work in this industry and I concur

That's great!

What are working conditions like for you? Do you have adequate privacy? Enough meetings but not way too many meetings? How much and what kind of socializing with co-workers is expected? Is the sensory environment okay for you?

Anyhow the article you linked to was People with autism are hot hires for artificial intelligence jobs by John Murawski, Business Standard (but credited to the Wall Stree Journal), August 04, 2019.

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2019, 3:59 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
blackomen wrote:
I work in this industry and I concur

That's great!

What are working conditions like for you? Do you have adequate privacy? Enough meetings but not way too many meetings? How much and what kind of socializing with co-workers is expected? Is the sensory environment okay for you?

Anyhow the article you linked to was People with autism are hot hires for artificial intelligence jobs by John Murawski, Business Standard (but credited to the Wall Stree Journal), August 04, 2019.

What are working conditions like for you? Typical of most office jobs.

Do you have adequate privacy? Typical of most office jobs again but I get way more when I work from home (which is allowed but just not everyday.)

Enough meetings but not way too many meetings? I hate meetings so any is too much. But at least 90% of the time, meetings are done over Skype (usually with people from another location.

How much and what kind of socializing with co-workers is expected? Not really expected on a regular basis.

Is the sensory environment okay for you? The only thing I have issues with is the bright lighting in the office cubicles, but other than that, it's fine.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 3:44 pm

Perhaps if you have the skills for it...

I would not be much use on a job like that.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2019, 8:17 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

I'm so glad employers are open-minded and will hire autistics....as long as they have a tech background. :roll:

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2019, 9:18 am

LookWhoItIs wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I'm so glad employers are open-minded and will hire autistics....as long as they have a tech background. :roll:

The tech sector has contributed the most to the advancement of society recently so logically, that's where most of the new jobs are at.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2019, 11:17 pm

blackomen wrote:
LookWhoItIs wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

The tech sector has contributed the most to the advancement of society recently so logically, that's where most of the new jobs are at.

Yes it has, but what about those of us who aren't interested and don't have an aptitude for that sort of thing? If you want to say "tough," okay, but I hope that's what you would say to neurotypicals too. I don't see them being pressured to only work in the tech field like those of us on the spectrum are. Despite Hollywood stereotypes, many of us just aren't a good fit for the work.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to give companies pats on the back because they hire autistics exclusively in one field.

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2019, 5:52 pm

LookWhoItIs wrote:
blackomen wrote:
LookWhoItIs wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Yes it has, but what about those of us who aren't interested and don't have an aptitude for that sort of thing? If you want to say "tough," okay, but I hope that's what you would say to neurotypicals too. I don't see them being pressured to only work in the tech field like those of us on the spectrum are. Despite Hollywood stereotypes, many of us just aren't a good fit for the work.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to give companies pats on the back because they hire autistics exclusively in one field.

I don't expect companies to altruistically hire people with aspergers or autism; they generally hire them because we're much better than neurotypicals at doing certain things that bring a ton of business value to the companies. And they'll try to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by piggybacking on the social justice or diversity movement by saying that they're looking out for autistics (similar to how hotels will tell you to not waste water, electricity, and towels to save the environment when in fact they just want to keep their costs down.)

I worked in the financial industry before moving to tech. OK, I had an engineering background which made it easier to make the switch. I would tell a lot of ppl in the financial industry (the vast majority of whom are NTs) to consider tech if they're frustrated with the competition and dwindling opportunities in finance. It's great if you happen to love tech but the cold hard truth is that the world needs a lot more qualified tech workers than it currently has.

bigos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2019, 6:25 pm

I find it hard to believe. I have never seen a job advert suggesting that. Also, probably such jobs are only in London, so if you live somewhere else it is not a solution for you.

A typical bureaucratic company will always be hostile to people on the spectrum. They will rather fire a competent programmer and employ someone who complies with their social rules.

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2019, 5:48 pm

bigos wrote:
I find it hard to believe. I have never seen a job advert suggesting that. Also, probably such jobs are only in London, so if you live somewhere else it is not a solution for you.

A typical bureaucratic company will always be hostile to people on the spectrum. They will rather fire a competent programmer and employ someone who complies with their social rules.

Plenty of remote jobs as well although you'll have a better chance of landing something in AI if you live near a big city.

bigos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2019, 8:55 pm

The title is deceptive, it should be:
Few people with autism lucky to live in 1 or 2 locations are diversity hires for artificial intelligence.

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

07 Oct 2019, 1:41 pm

bigos wrote:
Few people with autism lucky to live in 1 or 2 locations are diversity hires for artificial intelligence.

Try again

https://www.upwork.com/freelance-jobs/a ... elligence/

https://remoteml.com/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 3:00 pm

blackomen wrote:
bigos wrote:

Try again

Looks like a lot of those jobs require quite a bit of experience and potentially a degree. But I suppose its not few people with autism lucky to live in 1 or 2 locations but rather some with autism lucky enough to have a degree and experience in the field already.

These do not appear to be opportunities for people more fit for an entry level position, seems like you've already had to have had some success or at least competence in the field. So not very helpful to people in my position, unless they have some kind of hands on learning program where they are willing to educate you even if you don't have a degree or previous tech experience.

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

07 Oct 2019, 3:05 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
blackomen wrote:
bigos wrote:

Try again

Looks like a lot of those jobs require quite a bit of experience and potentially a degree. But I suppose its not few people with autism lucky to live in 1 or 2 locations but rather some with autism lucky enough to have a degree and experience in the field already.

These do not appear to be opportunities for people more fit for an entry level position, seems like you've already had to have had some success or at least competence in the field. So not very helpful to people in my position, unless they have some kind of hands on learning program where they are willing to educate you even if you don't have a degree or previous tech experience.

Http://Course.fast.ai

Http://Deeplearning.ai

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 3:57 pm

:? :(... Bleh.

I don't work in geospatial software because I'm autistic. I do this because I worked my a$$ off for years. I have this level of focus because I was written off socially & I turned towards computing.

A positive stereotype is still just another stereotype. We aren't machines so stop expecting us to act that way. Expectations of mechanical precision & invincible work ethic are slowly killing me.

If people are going to talk about my condition this way, as far as I'm concerned each of them owes me some damn coffee.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 3:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
blackomen wrote:
bigos wrote:

Try again

I work with a lot of gamers in the 3D mapping industry, you might like my gig more than a lot of AI things.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: