Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2020, 3:09 pm

There's a new girl started where I work and she has downs syndrome. She's 20 and this is her first ever job. She's a cleaner like me but in a different department, so I don't work with her but I do see her.

She's told the boss that she takes everything literally so when you ask her something you literally have to be very clear and precise and use no metaphors or double-meaning words, otherwise she wouldn't understand what you have asked her to do. She has a lisp and speaks in a very monotone voice, and often repeats herself during a conversation. But she's very nice and does her job well, but she requires a schedule plan to look at every day so she knows what she needs to do, even though it's the same routine every day.
She lives in an apartment on her own (social services helped her get it), but she has carers that go in to help her, and she gets taken to work in a minibus that's funded by the disability care or whatever it's called. She says she wants to feel "normal" and so loves being independent and gets sick of society for thinking that people with downs are stupid and incapable of doing anything independently.

I just hope she sticks there as I think I'm making a friend out of her. :) :heart:

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2020, 4:20 pm

Congrats to her for her increasing independence and for your company for its support, and to you for a likely new friend!

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2020, 2:46 pm

I don't know but I am proud of her for trying.
So many lazy people with no issues today that can learn from her example.

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 9:31 am

Sorry I went over the top. Really that's what I would want for myself (and everyone): a supportive company and a new friend. My real thought was "I wish". So, yes, kudos to her.