Yes - within a few months 64%  64%  [ 47 ]
No - I don't burn out 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 74

ike
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2007, 10:19 am

juliekitty wrote:
I always thought it was just me, and that I'm really easily bored. Is this another aspie trait?

I suspect many if not most of us are easily bored... I know I was always easily bored in school, in spite of or maybe even partly because of the fact that my parents sent me to private schools... There was never an opportunity for me to take AP classes and nobody was going to consider letting me skip a grade or two... Either of which might have actually given me a challenge. As it was in private schools with really low student-teacher ratios and plenty of "personal attention", I was never really challenged, just bored out of my skull all the time. I never understood why the other students needed heaps and heaps and heaps of repetition to understand something that was clear to me from the minute it was explained forward. Much later on I discovered that I actually enjoy teaching and tutoring ... well maybe not tutoring so much... I taught an illustration class one day at summer camp and really enjoyed it. I know it makes me rather unusual for an aspie -- I still score in the average range for aspies on the self-assessment tests tho... but I always really enjoyed "mentoring" at my jobs - helping coworkers learn how things work. The past several years I've looked for ways to transition my software engineering career so that I could include some training in how I earn my living but haven't managed to achieve that goal.

Lessian
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2007, 3:28 am

I have to agree that the rapid boredom thing is likely an aspie trait.
If its about one of my obsessions, nothing can stop me thinking about it, but otherwise usually lose interest in things fairly rapidly. My mum used to say that I have an almost non existant attention span.
I think that If I was to sort out all my stuff, most of it would be related to something that I started and lost interest in. lol. not that that stops me from starting new things...

cant endure then you can't inhale

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2007, 9:46 am

my social security information comes to me in the fall, and on it lists the amount of money I have made since my first job in 1967. The amounts are arranged chronologically and they go up and down and non existant and and up and down and going to college and up and up ( DOT.COM boom!! whoo hoo!) and then down and down and non existant (while I lived in a tent on a friend's land) and then up again.

so.. in a few years, when I 'retire' I will have the princely sum of $565 US Dollars a month. That is all I could manage in my life of forcing myself to work, having no idea I had AS or was Autistic, just stumbling through.
and now that I know I was Asperger's Syndrome, and Autistic. . .well, it really doesn't matter, there is no brass band, no 'oh, we will help you, now!" no 'happy ending.' Just me eating dog food and living in a shelter or cardbord box until I die from exposure on the street somewhere.

Merle

dasanbe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2007, 2:51 pm

I'm a burn out.

Time is of the essence.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2007, 10:52 pm

I know exactly how you guys feel. I just lost job number 8, I think, cause the manager got fed up with me asking him how to do something 20 times that he'd seen me do before. It was like I just couldnt remember all of a sudden. I was working at Frys, doing computer repair, and the repair part of the job was great. It was just the time that I had to go to the counter to look at the computers people were bringing in and really have to be all professional with them that really got me. So long as I was left alone, I could do my work fine, I just couldn't be inturupted or I'd forget my train of thought. It wasn't so bad with the people I working with, they kinda just left me alone unless I approached them, it was just going up and having to act like I cared about some random person I couldn't even look in the eye.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2007, 9:54 pm

I sounds like the story of my life!

I think that you gotta get out of the Big box retailers,
whatever is it that you do.

hhyyjj163
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2007, 9:16 am

yes,i do
i have try about ten jobs
longest job is one year,most of jobs is of few mouth
and i just quit a job after doing a moth
and i am afraid to find a job now
and i just want work at home
and i wonder
how the other one around me all can do a job for ten years or all life?
and i insist do a job for one year is so difficulty

hhyyjj163
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2007, 9:36 am

Bobcat wrote:
Like MeshGearFox, I too have pushed myself to stay with a hated job. I crashed big time. I won't do that again. The only way I can work fulltime is to carefully monitor my stress levels. Sometimes I don't do it well. This past week for example, there were too many people in the room and too much going on for me to concentrate. I could feel it in my stomach. And I acted a bit immature and angry which isn't characteristic of me. Looking back, I should have left the room, taken a walk, left the office early - whatever it took to get my stress level down. Staying in that room was a mistake. Trying to be a 'team player' when I'm absolutely not a team player is exhausting.

it is just as same as i

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 1:25 pm

Oh but what to do about it... other than "muscle" past the reflex to run away!

Convincing myself to do the job with a good attitude has been a very hard thing to do, but so far I can see a difference. This also includes the nearly-forced social interaction I find so repulsive (I shouldn't even say that now, I need to reinforce POSITIVE in my head, not negative!) When the guys want to go out to dinner, I improve my whole working daily life by joining them and making them feel good - making them think I like them in a language they understand. It's silly to me, but they need it.... if I think about it that way, it helps to stay positive about that.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 9:52 am

Lessian wrote:
What do you do Pandora? what sort of hours do you work?

Clerical work, processing tax returns. I usually work about 37 hours a week and that is about as many as I could cope with. I don't know how people manage doing 60-70 hour weeks.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon