Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 1:19 am

Fnord wrote:
starkid wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
And a former NASA contractor gave me this advice. Send in your resume to HR. And then... if you can find out the actual person doing the hire, and if you can get them on the phone, be polite and relatively brief. And the money statement seems to be, "I’ve already sent a copy of my resume to HR. May I send you a copy also?"
Honestly, this is just too much work. I suppose this is manageable for someone who has applied to only a few jobs and doesn't have issues with phone calls, but given the low response rate of employers, one has to send out a zillion resumes.  Maybe things are better in places where there isn't so much job competition.  All this effort is part of the reason while I'll probably never have a career (and it's also part of the reason why I don't want one).
If you think having a career takes too much work, try being homeless.

Some people are successfully homeless.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 1:41 am

Fnord wrote:
starkid wrote:
And a former NASA contractor gave me this advice. Send in your resume to HR. And then... if you can find out the actual person doing the hire, and if you can get them on the phone, be polite and relatively brief. And the money statement seems to be, "I’ve already sent a copy of my resume to HR. May I send you a copy also?"
Honestly, this is just too much work. I suppose this is manageable for someone who has applied to only a few jobs and doesn't have issues with phone calls, but given the low response rate of employers, one has to send out a zillion resumes.  Maybe things are better in places where there isn't so much job competition.  All this effort is part of the reason while I'll probably never have a career (and it's also part of the reason why I don't want one).
If you think having a career takes too much work, try being homeless.

From what I recall about Starkid, she was homeless, it's taken quite some time to have a roof over her head.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 7:45 am

Being homeless is no walk in the park. I would never want to be homeless.

One can be “successfully” homeless—but even then it comes with a considerable emotional price.

Homeless people run the gamut from extremely articulate and clean—to talking jibberish and dirty.

Alex_2x4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2020, 7:17 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:

Frasier Crane is a wise man :lol:

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 8:24 am

I just wish the economy was healthier and produced a greater variety of good jobs.

And I don’t mean just during COVID times, I mean during regular times! :fish:

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 8:27 am

And @Fnord is an alright individual.

He generally just takes a strong libertarian position.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 8:32 am

I just wish the economy was healthier and produced a greater variety of good jobs.  And I don’t mean just during COVID times, I mean during regular times! :fish:
Once the pandemic is over, you'll find plenty of jobs in the dining/drinking, entertainment, hotel/motel, tourism, and travel industries.

But if you want a job right now, and you are qualified to work in an "essential service", then that's where to apply.

Here is a general idea of what may be considered "essential", according to various governments:

• Airlines, taxis and other private transportation providers.
• Assisted living facilities, nursing homes, adult day care centers and senior facilities.
• Banks and related financial institutions including insurance and accounting services.
• Building code enforcement.
• Businesses offering mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes.
• Businesses that provide shelter and/or social services.
• Certain city, county, state, and federal offices.
• Community benefit organizations on a case-by-case basis.
• Construction sites and engineering and architecture firms.
• Contractors and other tradesmen, appliance repair personnel.
• Courts.
• Exterminators and other service providers.
• Fire stations.
• Funeral homes, crematoriums, and cemeteries.
• Garbage/sanitation and recycling services.
• Gas stations, auto supply stores, auto repair shops and related facilities.
• Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks and convenience stores.
• Hardware stores and plumbers.
• Healthcare providers, hospitals, clinics, and healthcare operations including research and laboratory services, medical wholesale and distribution, and dentists.
• Home-based care for seniors, adults, or children.
• Jails.
• Landscape and pool care businesses, including residential landscape and pool care.
• Laundromats, dry cleaners, and laundry service providers.
• Liquor stores.
• Maintenance staff, cleaners, janitors, and doormen.
• Manufacturing including food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, agricultural, paper products, safety, and sanitary products.
• Newspapers, television, radio, and other media outlets.
• Pet supply stores.
• Pharmacies.
• Phone and computer sellers.
• Police stations.
• Public transportation (Muni, BART, subways).
• Restaurants (only for delivery, takeout and drive-thru).
• Utilities (water, power and gas, telecommunications).
• Veterinary offices.

Good Luck!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 8:37 am

And @Fnord is an alright individual.  He generally just takes a strong libertarian position.
Thanks!  I also believe in personal initiative/ambition and fact-based reasoning; but those beliefs seem to get me in trouble with other members here who do not seem to share those same beliefs.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 5:46 pm

Now, my facts may take me to different conclusions. For example, I lean toward Asian tiger, mixed economies.

Plus, I’m pretty open-minded toward ownership-society versions of Universal Income, but that’s perhaps a topic for another thread.

At least I hope it’s fact-based on my part. At times, sure, my wishing something to be true probably takes precedence over what the actual facts are showing. The trick, of course, is recognizing such times!

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 2:58 am

Fnord wrote:
And @Fnord is an alright individual.  He generally just takes a strong libertarian position.
Thanks!  I also believe in personal initiative/ambition and fact-based reasoning; but those beliefs seem to get me in trouble with other members here who do not seem to share those same beliefs.

Let me ask you this as a taxpayer! Do you want the people on here who are floundering and unemployed to be successful and contribute to society through their tax dollars? Or, do you want them to continue to flounder and you as the taxpayer having to pay for them through your tax dollars whether it is on some kind of SSDI, prison, institutionalization or having them on the street begging you for change? Do you want to have to pay this price whether it is through your tax dollars? Do you want to have an angry homeless person who is possibly mentally ill coming up to you and harassing you or do you want people to get the help they need so they can become productive citizens?

Because, if they were all able to do this personal initiative as you think they should have then they would have. So, are you willing to put up or shut up? Come on dude! Use your fact based reasoning!