Alternatives to 'traditional' employment

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fenfaerielee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2020, 12:34 pm

Hi all,

Just a question I wanted to ask fellow aspies here regarding working.

Those of you who found employment of any traditional kind full time or part time, difficult or impossible to sustain in the long run for whatever reasons, what do you do for an occupation instead?

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jul 2020, 7:33 am

fenfaerielee wrote:
Hi all,

Just a question I wanted to ask fellow aspies here regarding working.

Those of you who found employment of any traditional kind full time or part time, difficult or impossible to sustain in the long run for whatever reasons, what do you do for an occupation instead?

I am also wondering. I think many who can't do the traditional employment thing just don't work at all. I hope to find a part time job which I can survive on by living frugally, but other than that I can't think of anything& I'm not cut out for full time employment.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 9:53 am

When you come down to it, there are only three main options:

1) Work for yourself.
2) Work for someone else.
3) Don't work at all.

Which of these is not "traditional"?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 10:12 am

Fnord wrote:

1) Work for yourself.
3) Don't work at all.

You could 4) work part-time, which is a combination of 1 or 2 with 3.

Or work part-time at a job you couldn't stand full time, and part-time at 5) a job you'd love to do full time, but would never in itself pay the bills.

Or even, if it is best for your mental health, work part-time paid and part-time 6) as a volunteer, and accept you'll always be quite poor.

There are a lot of jobs that might essentially be traditional but they've now become easier to do and/or better money earners than before thanks to the internet. So Etsy arts and crafts, for example, or working as a proof-reader.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 10:17 am

^ Why make it more complicated than it is?  I've read a lot of posts by aspies who have become so caught up in the possibilities that they never get around to actualizing their career goals -- they're so concerned with the options and the "what ifs" that they never get a job.  Don't make employment more complicated than it absolutely has to be.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2020, 9:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
^ Why make it more complicated than it is?  I've read a lot of posts by aspies who have become so caught up in the possibilities that they never get around to actualizing their career goals -- they're so concerned with the options and the "what ifs" that they never get a job.  Don't make employment more complicated than it absolutely has to be.

Because everyone needs to find the solution that works for them.

I know from experience that full time jobs always end up with me mortgaging my home life to an unsustainable degree. Mainly because I have ADHD symptoms (diagnosis pending) so I have to pour huge amounts of time and effort into doing anything and then treble checking it afterwards. Because I also have Autism so I'm conscientious, but essentially I'm having to constantly force myself into consistency. That's hard work.

Yes I probably could learn some better ways of managing, but again I need the time and space to do that. Learning about Autism and ADHD can be a slog when you've got Autism and ADHD.

The one thing that keeps me vaguely functional is volunteering. I suspect if I do manage to get better at managing my life I'll spend any "freed up" time doing things like exercising and meditating so I can continue to improve, rather than instantly throwing myself into a harder job. No point in trying to build a skyscraper on shoddy foundations.

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jul 2020, 8:12 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
Fnord wrote:

1) Work for yourself.
3) Don't work at all.

You could 4) work part-time, which is a combination of 1 or 2 with 3.

Or work part-time at a job you couldn't stand full time, and part-time at 5) a job you'd love to do full time, but would never in itself pay the bills.

Or even, if it is best for your mental health, work part-time paid and part-time 6) as a volunteer, and accept you'll always be quite poor.

There are a lot of jobs that might essentially be traditional but they've now become easier to do and/or better money earners than before thanks to the internet. So Etsy arts and crafts, for example, or working as a proof-reader.

Another option might be a gig job (i.e. Uber). If you're motivated to work, you do it. If you don't have the motivation to work that day, you don't.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:15 am

If you want, Google ,

Passive income

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:40 am

Minuteman wrote:
Fnord wrote:

1) Work for yourself.
3) Don't work at all.

Another option might be a gig job (i.e. Uber). If you're motivated to work, you do it. ...
Options 1 & 2.
Minuteman wrote:
If you don't have the motivation to work that day, you don't.
Option 3.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 2:02 am

Fnord wrote:

Again, I'm sorry mods but again this needs to be said! I love Wrongplanet but I understand if you want to ban me. I can live with it but I've held my tongue for too long.

How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How? How?

How are we supposed to follow this vague and obtuse advice?

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 6:04 am

How is it working out in China cube? I did PM you when you asked for tips :D

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 7:46 am

Teach51 wrote:
How is it working out in China cube? I did PM you when you asked for tips :D

My contract starts on the 15th. I'm excited. And, that's strange Teach. I never received the pm and I got distracted by the move from Beijing to chonqing. Can you send again please?

Last edited by cubedemon6073 on 30 Jul 2020, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 7:53 am

You’re in one of the “three furnaces.” I hope you have air-conditioning. The winters there are moderately cold—not like Beijing.

I guess you were forced to move to Chonqing for work.

Chonqing used to be called “Chungking.”

How is it in China so far?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 7:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You’re in one of the “three furnaces.” I hope you have air-conditioning. The winters there are moderately cold—not like Beijing.

I guess you were forced to move to Chonqing for work.

Chonqing used to be called “Chungking.”

How is it in China so far?

Hotter then Hell!! !! !

Food is extremely spicy. I had diarrhea for days.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 8:02 am

Your belly will get used to it.

I don’t know about Chonqing—but Wuhan has nice parks. It’s a short train ride to Wuhan from Chonqing.

How do the people treat you?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 8:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Your belly will get used to it.

I don’t know about Chonqing—but Wuhan has nice parks. It’s a short train ride to Wuhan from Chonqing.

How do the people treat you?

They stare at me sometimes.

And, a lot of times they're very helpful.