Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 1:10 pm

I am currently searching for volunteer work, either for graphic design or editing, in order to have some more content to add to my portfolio. Found one today for a Church venue that usually rents out space for weddings / parties, it is currently open for applications. They are looking for someone to do branding / advertising. Fortunately, it is a position where you can work from home. If I'm lucky, then once I've sent in an application I should hopefully get a response and maybe even an online interview. What I should prepare, for this potential interview, I'm not sure. I can see why they need better advertising plus their SEO could definitely use some work.

Do volunteer positions usually ask for a CV? It didn't mention one in the description, whereas when I looked at paying positions it understandably required one. Perhaps I'll even update my portfolio, unfortunately the description is rather basic and non-descript so it'll be a little tricky to know what exactly they are looking for. I do have a CV, it's rather dull but it's functional. Could do with a few edits.

Anyway, I'll have a look to see if I can find any other gigs. I'll probably put in an application for this one anyway and see if they get back to me. Recently, I keep seeing adverts for Fiverr, I wonder what the requirements are to set yourself up as an independent freelancer on there. Plus, if it would have an impact on my student finances and how I'd legally set myself up as a freelancer since there's a process.

I don't know how frequent or not I've been visiting here recently, the days are blurring into a big old mess lately and I've lost the plot. Consider this thread a message that I'm still out there and I'm still visiting here (accuracy will vary depending on when you're reading this). Oh, and I've decided to learn another programming language. So I'll either be gaming, programming, drawing, job searching, something else, or procrastinating by spending my time here. :P

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 2:45 pm

Ridiculous as this might sound, volunteer positions frequently require CV’s, and applicants are scrutinized almost as much as applicants for paid jobs.

Paid freelancing is a good idea.

Basically, if you put all your ducks in a row, you’re ahead of the game.

BoneProtector
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jul 2020, 8:01 am

Wish you good luck

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2020, 6:31 am

BoneProtector wrote:
Wish you good luck

Thank you.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 8:15 am

Update: I got accepted for a volunteer position. The work involves creating a series of fitness videos. Unfortunately, they are twenty minute long videos per week. Considering learning routines, filming and the time spent editing, this means that I'll be rather busy. However, they do provide training, references and it would add to my CV.

Just hope my camera is up to it, the speed it goes through batteries and how long they take to recharge is ridiculous. Quality shouldn't be an issue, it converts to HD fairly easily when run through editing software (it's a somewhat old camera). I'll have to film in short bursts and edit it together. However, I run the risk of choppy footage edits. I should be able to make it smoother though, I'll see how it goes. Should probably start getting a list of questions to ask them together, since I need to clarify a few things so I know how to proceed.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2020, 1:52 pm

Hmm. Not sure about this actually, I've sent them an email asking for more information but I might end up declining the offer. I'm considering trying to set myself up on Fiverr instead. Acting enthusiastic for twenty minutes on camera sounds exhausting.