Social Workers on the Spectrum-HELP!

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2020, 2:49 am

I looked for other posts before posting and although there were a few, they were very old. I have been a social worker on and off for a couple decades and got my ASD diagnosis about four years ago. I worked for the Division of Developmental Disabilities and that's when I learned about autism and began to suspect I had more in common with my clients, than my coworkers. As a general rule, I have never gotten along well with my coworkers. I did very well as a social worker because I got to know my clients personally and was praised for finding outside the box solutions.

Fast forward to January of this year, I took a job with Crisis Response, responding to crises in people's homes, which I thought I would like. I do like the job but I didn't realize I would be working as part of a 2 person team. I have been unable to succesfully work with any other person and have been moved around quite a bit. I notice that the people that I work with don't communicate anything that they are doing with me but become angry if I start working with a client and don't tell them something I hadn't even realized that they would want to know. I am currently in jeopardy of losing my job due to a poor evaluation, which stressed my poor communication. I finally decided I was not meant to work as part of a team but it is my only option now as I don't think I can find another job in this economy.

Any ideas on how I can succesfully work with a partner and keep my job? I have not disclosed the ASD.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 6:31 pm

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier.

Probably the best way is to keep it “strictly business.”

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 7:45 pm

I work in the developmental disabilities field and I could not work for or with others either. And I tried hard. Now I have my own business and can run it the way I want. This has been effective and I am considered very good at my job by the clients we serve.

I tried almost everything to get along with a team, but was never successful.

Now, in my 20th year, I have two team members who work for me with whom I get along well. Both are OCD and one I think is probably aspie also. I have known one for almost 20 years and the other for a good 12 years or so.

I would suggest you look to see if your state has a privatized Developmental Disabilities Waiver program. You can set up your own business, run it your own way and as long as you do the job, fill out the required forms, meet the deadlines, etc. you can do the real work the way you think it needs to be done.

Good luck.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 8:31 pm

Talk with your team mate and supervisor. If you are thinking of changing anyway, what do you have to loose by disclosing your diagnosis and working on a solution?

I have worked with people before and can be very successful. Also, the wrong person is horrible. Personally, I think of teams as members with complementary skills that inform the work of each. Rather than a committee type of arrangement, where each is working on the same things at the same level--that is just too confusing.

Citymale
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2020, 12:21 am

Caseymom wrote:
I looked for other posts before posting and although there were a few, they were very old. I have been a social worker on and off for a couple decades and got my ASD diagnosis about four years ago. I worked for the Division of Developmental Disabilities and that's when I learned about autism and began to suspect I had more in common with my clients, than my coworkers. As a general rule, I have never gotten along well with my coworkers. I did very well as a social worker because I got to know my clients personally and was praised for finding outside the box solutions.

Fast forward to January of this year, I took a job with Crisis Response, responding to crises in people's homes, which I thought I would like. I do like the job but I didn't realize I would be working as part of a 2 person team. I have been unable to succesfully work with any other person and have been moved around quite a bit. I notice that the people that I work with don't communicate anything that they are doing with me but become angry if I start working with a client and don't tell them something I hadn't even realized that they would want to know. I am currently in jeopardy of losing my job due to a poor evaluation, which stressed my poor communication. I finally decided I was not meant to work as part of a team but it is my only option now as I don't think I can find another job in this economy.

Any ideas on how I can succesfully work with a partner and keep my job? I have not disclosed the ASD.

The other coworker doesn’t know what you are doing. You may have to chat and bond with the worker in a friendly manner and at the same time tell them what you are doing on a consistent basis.

I don’t know how you would do that. I was given similar feedback where my coworker thought they did not know what I was doing and complained to my manager without me knowing. And I found out when I asked my manager what my coworkers thought about me and that’s what she said.

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2020, 3:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sorry I didn’t respond earlier.

Probably the best way is to keep it “strictly business.”

Thank you for responding. I have always kept it strictly business but our business is people and we still have to work together to serve the clients.

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2020, 3:46 am

:) I really wanted to keep this job (mainly because the benefits are unbelievable but I may to do something like that.
It's good to hear that you have been successful for so long.

blazingstar wrote:
I work in the developmental disabilities field and I could not work for or with others either. And I tried hard. Now I have my own business and can run it the way I want. This has been effective and I am considered very good at my job by the clients we serve.

I tried almost everything to get along with a team, but was never successful.

Now, in my 20th year, I have two team members who work for me with whom I get along well. Both are OCD and one I think is probably aspie also. I have known one for almost 20 years and the other for a good 12 years or so.

I would suggest you look to see if your state has a privatized Developmental Disabilities Waiver program. You can set up your own business, run it your own way and as long as you do the job, fill out the required forms, meet the deadlines, etc. you can do the real work the way you think it needs to be done.

Good luck.

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2020, 3:50 am

Jiheisho wrote:
Talk with your team mate and supervisor. If you are thinking of changing anyway, what do you have to loose by disclosing your diagnosis and working on a solution?

I have worked with people before and can be very successful. Also, the wrong person is horrible. Personally, I think of teams as members with complementary skills that inform the work of each. Rather than a committee type of arrangement, where each is working on the same things at the same level--that is just too confusing.

You may be right. I am really reluctant to do this (I haven't even told my family yet) but it may be the only possibility. I did join the union and have been talking to my union representative. I disclosed to her that I have a disability and we have been talking about possible requests for accommodations but she never asked about the specific diagnosis.

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2020, 4:06 am

Citymale wrote:
Caseymom wrote:

Any ideas on how I can successfully work with a partner and keep my job? I have not disclosed the ASD.

The other coworker doesn’t know what you are doing. You may have to chat and bond with the worker in a friendly manner and at the same time tell them what you are doing on a consistent basis.

I don’t know how you would do that. I was given similar feedback where my coworker thought they did not know what I was doing and complained to my manager without me knowing. And I found out when I asked my manager what my coworkers thought about me and that’s what she said.

I know that's hard.

I guess you could say we have a committee (although small) type of arrangement, because we don't have specific job duties. I can see that this may be part of the problem. I try my best to communicate with her about what I am doing and she never seems to give me the same courtesy (and sometimes she gets angry at me for telling her things, I think are important when she is working on something else and doesn't care). My biggest complaint though is her expectation that I tell her everything immediately but she never does this for me. We are supposed to be partners and she does not treat me as a partner or even a team member. I am sure it's related to the autism but am not sure how to deal with this.

We are part of a very small unit, myself, my partner, the morning person and our supervisor are the only full time employees and last month, they were all out with Covid and Division Head let me respond alone (rather than trying to move me to another unit) for awhile. It was so much easier.

Citymale
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2020, 9:26 pm

Caseymom wrote:
Citymale wrote:
Caseymom wrote:

Any ideas on how I can successfully work with a partner and keep my job? I have not disclosed the ASD.

I know that's hard.

I guess you could say we have a committee (although small) type of arrangement, because we don't have specific job duties. I can see that this may be part of the problem. I try my best to communicate with her about what I am doing and she never seems to give me the same courtesy (and sometimes she gets angry at me for telling her things, I think are important when she is working on something else and doesn't care). My biggest complaint though is her expectation that I tell her everything immediately but she never does this for me. We are supposed to be partners and she does not treat me as a partner or even a team member. I am sure it's related to the autism but am not sure how to deal with this.

We are part of a very small unit, myself, my partner, the morning person and our supervisor are the only full time employees and last month, they were all out with Covid and Division Head let me respond alone (rather than trying to move me to another unit) for awhile. It was so much easier.

Ok, so you just have to hang in there and not freak out or rage quit or be rude as that will be used against you.. the people at your work are not easy to work with, so you have to hang in there because they won’t change.

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2020, 2:51 am

You are right, unfortunately now I have another problem to deal with, my supervisor had written me up for "poor communication" in my evaluation and I contested it. Now I have a meeting scheduled for next week with my supervisor, her supervisor and possibly someone above her to discuss our communication issues. I am allowed to bring my union representative. My union rep reminded me that because I am still on original probation, they can fire me without cause or even a reason. :x ARGGG!! !! !!

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2020, 2:58 am

I also spoke with a friend about the autism (she is one of the few, I have told) and asked her if I should mention it and ask for an accommodation or not mention it because they would just assume, it would make me unable to do the job. She said I should mention the ADD (I was diagnosed with ADHD without the hyperactivity about twenty years earlier and the Doc felt that there was also something else but I did not have time to pursue it) and start there with a request for accommodation. She said the bias against autistic people is still very strong and it could hurt my chances of keeping my job.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 9:30 am

Since you are on probation, that make you very vulnerable, they could let you go without much cause.

I am not sure bringing in the union rep will be advantageous. The union rep is saying since you are on probation his/her hands are tied. Having the union rep there could potentially change the dynamics of the meeting to a hostile meeting.

I do not think bringing up the fact that you may be on the spectrum would be good at this time, because it might lead to questions about disclosing existing medical conditions on your original application form.

I think that expressing the following might help.

* I really like working with the clients and I am effective.
* I have communication problems and am willing to improve. I will take any advise or training to improve in this area.

One other comment. There are many people who are on the spectrum. Many do not even know it. But if you will look at peoples qualities, quirks and how they work, you might be able to find one. If you do, that is the one person you should try and team with. Aspies tend to relate better with other Aspies. We are just wired that way. Sometimes they appear as rejects in the group but some have a variety of hidden talents.

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2020, 10:11 pm

I have only found one other person that I thought may be on the spectrum and she has a partner (and only works one oe two days a week).

I agree that disclosing now probably would not help but the ADA also protects me from having to disclose, so I cannot get in trouble for not disclosing earlier. I am NOT required to disclose, even if I need an accommodation to do my job. I also have the right to request an accommodation for my disability without disclosing the disability. I just need a letter from a doctor stating that because of my disability I need it that it to do my job. (I worked as a civil rights investigator for several years.)

However, the rule is that you have to be ABLE to do your job with or without an accommodation, meaning if you have a disability that simply prevents you from being able to do the job (even with an accommodation) than you're not qualified. I don't want to disclose because I believe the prejudice against autistic people, would make them believe that I was unable to do the job, even with an accommodation and I don't have the energy to fight. I also don't have the energy to respond alone. The working environment is already hostile and I believe that happened before I spoke with the union, mainly because my boss does not like me.

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2020, 2:40 am

Caseymom wrote:
You are right, unfortunately now I have another problem to deal with, my supervisor had written me up for "poor communication" in my evaluation and I contested it. Now I have a meeting scheduled for next week with my supervisor, her supervisor and possibly someone above her to discuss our communication issues. I am allowed to bring my union representative. My union rep reminded me that because I am still on original probation, they can fire me without cause or even a reason. :x ARGGG!! ! ! ! !

Hope it goes well. Ask both the supervisor and her supervisor if they can give you advice about improving your communication. What is the number one thing they expect you to do differently?

Caseymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2020, 5:14 pm

idntonkw wrote:
Caseymom wrote:
You are right, unfortunately now I have another problem to deal with, my supervisor had written me up for "poor communication" in my evaluation and I contested it. Now I have a meeting scheduled for next week with my supervisor, her supervisor and possibly someone above her to discuss our communication issues. I am allowed to bring my union representative. My union rep reminded me that because I am still on original probation, they can fire me without cause or even a reason. :x ARGGG!! ! ! ! !

Hope it goes well. Ask both the supervisor and her supervisor if they can give you advice about improving your communication. What is the number one thing they expect you to do differently?

I will. Union rep said before they write me up for poor communication, they should have offered me communication classes (which apparently they have). I told her that I was fine with taking classes.