Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2020, 8:41 am

So, I've worked at my current job for 16 years. It's a warehouse job and I hate it, The work itself isn't all that bad but its the politics of the place that I can't bear. It wasn't awful until a few years ago,when our company merged with a foreign owned company, things went right down the toilet.

Workers were once seen as assets but are now seen as liability's. The most incompetent and blindly obedient are promoted, nepotism is how people are mostly hired in these days. Favoritism is rampant in all the departments. I learned the hard way, suggestions and opinions are not welcome unless your one of the favorites, retaliation is the method for those who bring up legitimate problems in the plant. When I got hired in, the first thing I was told was not to say "The U word" meaning Union, as the company is very anti union. Rules change on a whim with no warning.

Over the years I've felt I've suffered in silence at times, with bullying from co-workers, trouble with a couple of managers, and one time being accused of something I didn't do.

The thing is the job pays very well and looks wonderful on paper, for what is. It's made it possible for me to move out of my parents house and into my home. However, I am fed up and have been for years. I really don't want to work in this place anymore, I'm also tired of living in northern Ohio .

I don't have much money in savings(that isn't in retirement), if I had enough to cover myself for awhile I would walk out the door. Also, having deal with a gap in health insurance is a big deal too.

My family just keeps telling me to look the other way, put blinders on, etc... " oh everyone feels that way".
I'm 40, I don't know how many more working years I have left in me, meaning not physically but the deterioration of my mental health.

I've burned through my FMLA time almost for the year and did about the same thing last year too. No matter how much time I take off, its never enough it seems. One of these days I think I'm just gonna snap and walk out the door. :(

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:35 pm

You've shown incredible restraint in having to put up with burnout for so long. You say you job looks good on paper, but that's no use to you unless you start applying to other jobs. Have you been actively seeking a new position? In an ideal world you should have another job lined up to avoid a gap in employment/wages/insurance (of course you probably know this). You have held out this long, so you may be able to hang on a bit longer if you have a plan to get into a new job.

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2020, 1:09 am

Oh I totally agree with you yes, always good to have another secured before you leap. It's been hell for sure.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 8:25 am

Human resources

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2020, 12:04 pm

HR, oh my god there the worst at my place.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 12:22 pm

Have you gotten any responses from the places where you've applied?

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2020, 12:25 pm

I haven't tried in awhile, I did have an interview about a year ago but I knew the place wasn't for me, plus working 3rd shift is totally out of the question. With this COVID 19 thing going on, a lot of places have stopped hiring for now.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 7:38 pm

A lot of warehouses actually need emergency staff with the corona thing happening, I would say get yourself a CV made by a professional and hand it into places, you may end up in a much better position with more money.

You can always see the employer reviews on sites like glass door and whatever too.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 9:13 pm

Do you think handing in a CV is better than handing in a resume?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 9:18 pm

A CV is the non-US equivalent of a resume—though the term CV seems to have become fashionable in the US.

Curriculum Vitae.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 9:25 pm

Resumes are more directed towards one job, a CV however lists your full experience and this is better because it shows the employer you have more than a few skills, there might be different tasks or projects in the role and if you're showing you can do a bit of everything you're much more employable.

Also don't give them a basic CV with the bare minimum on it, you need to have lots of HR/management wording on it like showing you know what stuff like operational chain values, standardised work instructions are and best practice solutions so it's best to go to a professional so they can walk you through all this.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 9:37 pm

If you were a warehouse foreperson, would you care about “operational chain values?”

It’s better to hand in a document—a resume, CV, or whatever—which is relevant to the specific job at hand.

But......It’s good advice to have a resume professionally done.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 7:28 am

I'm experiencing a bit of the same. With 16 years under your belt you should be good for finding a new job pretty quickly if push comes to shove. It might be worth looking for new jobs or even getting a licence or two. You any good with a forklift? Drivers for those are in demand in most warehouses.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 8:14 am

I hope you avoid burning out and can get relief.

I have had time to reflect from my past, and some people I thought were giving me a hard time may not have been, but one man was different as I did not realize how much bullying he did. But most were just doing their jobs and were just NT's who did not mean any harm.

When in the situation and going through anxiety, stress and burnout I found that each small thing was largely amplified.

The last three burnouts I hit which each burnout hit me harder then the one I had had before, happened to be at the place where I had no bullying at all and everyone was good, and I can't fauly anyone. I guess the past had such an effect on me.... But also I dis not realize how much sensory issues and sudden changes effected me.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 9:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you were a warehouse foreperson, would you care about “operational chain values?”

It’s better to hand in a document—a resume, CV, or whatever—which is relevant to the specific job at hand.

But......It’s good advice to have a resume professionally done.

No it's good to have that stuff in even it's a basic job because if you understand how the wider business functions you're more likely to snag a team leader job even if you're just warehouse staff, because they know you can understand stuff like that you just need to learn from the bottom up. You're like a cut above the rest that way so if a team leader leaves then the next person they'd promote would be the person who gets it from a wider management type of perspective.

It's good to know about compliance and stuff as well, they love it if you can understand what basic processes are and how they measure performance etc.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 10:04 pm

I remember one year a long, long time ago, I worked as a warehouseman in a 6 story warehouse downtown. I really enjoyed the job. I learned to drive a forklift from the best of them. It was almost like an art form.

Since you have 16 years of experience, you should be able to transition easily to another company. As other's have said, it is always better to find another job when you are currently working.

You mentioned that the location, Northern Ohio, isn't ideal. So you may wish to apply to a location more to your suiting. Do some research and locate warehouse jobs in areas that suit you and then send out resumes. You may have to do an in-person interview, which means traveling to the company. So you might use your days off for that function.

In the present age, I suspect they may do interviews over the Internet. Especially because of the COVID pandemic.

Anyways, good luck.